MD & DO 33 MCAT, 3.7c, 3.75s Reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

*Please don't quote*

This will be my second year applying to MD programs and my first year applying to DO programs (possibly). My weaknesses this cycle were having a lack of clinical volunteer experience and submitting my primary late in September 2013 (both of which will not be issues this year).

This cycle I received 3 interviews, have been WLed at one school, and have yet to hear from the other two (one of which is my state school). This year I have also revised my personal statement slightly and have changed a few activities.

So here goes...

Stats

MCAT retook and received a 33 (11/11/11) in July 2013 after receiving a 24 in September 2012 (due to an inability to study properly)
GPA 3.7c, 3.75s
Biochemistry degree from high ranking liberal arts institution (graduated 1 year ago)
No criminal record, institutional action, or red flags (besides first MCAT if that counts--it was only brought up at one of my interviews)
Eight LORs from a wide range of employers and faculty (including a committee letter)

Significant ECs

80+ hours physician shadowing
500+ hours clinical volunteering in direct patient care
2 summers scientific research
authorship on one research publication
4 years NCAA athlete including All Conference honors and team captain during 4th year
member of several honors societies
300+ hours of non-clinical volunteering in various settings
high school track coach
service bicycle trip across US to fundraise for/combat homelessness
several "hobby based" ECs (to indicate that I am a well rounded individual...)

MD School Choices (mostly the same as this cycle)

Albany Medical College
Virginia Commonwealth
George Washington
Hofstra
Oakland U
Jefferson
Loyola
Medical College of Wisconsin
Georgetown
New York Medical College
Rush
Saint Louis University
Temple
U Vermont
U Colorado (state school)

MD Reach Schools

Tufts
U Chicago (performed research here one summer, but considering removing because Hyde Park is scary...)
U Rochester
Brown
Dartmouth

Could I get some more suggestions for non-reach and reach MD programs. Is U Iowa friendly to OOS? I went to undergrad in Iowa and would love to go back. I'm fine with adding a few more reach schools because, hey, why not? Where might I have a shot? Could I also get a few DO suggestions? I'll probably apply to DMU but I'm not sure where else.

Additionally, how much of a handicap is it that I'm a reapplicant? I've taken the necessary steps to improve my application accordingly and will not be making the same mistakes I did last year.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
For non reach schools you could add Western Michigan, Creighton, Tulane, Quinnipiac, Drexel and possibly Albert Einstein. In the meantime, definitely contact the school where you are on the waitlist and let them know you are very interested. Do the same for the 2 you have not heard from.

Members don't see this ad :)
For non reach schools you could add Western Michigan, Creighton, Tulane, Quinnipiac, Drexel and possibly Albert Einstein. In the meantime, definitely contact the school where you are on the waitlist and let them know you are very interested. Do the same for the 2 you have not heard from.
These updates from candidates holding no acceptances have little effect, I'm afraid. Right now, admissions deans are actually hoping for a sufficient number of withdrawals to avoid overfill.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input, I'll consider adding some of those schools. I'd like to find a few more schools to add that are slightly out of my reach (MCAT average around 35-36, GPA around 3.8). Do I have any business applying to one or two schools like Yale or Stanford? Do people with my stats even receive secondaries, let alone II? I am non-URM, by the way.

You should add some more safeties, including DO like PCOM, Rowan, CCOM etc. MD consider Drexel or Temple.

Goro suggests:

Albany Medical College
Virginia Commonwealth
George Washington
Hofstra
Oakland U
Jefferson
Loyola
Medical College of Wisconsin
Georgetown
New York Medical College
Rush
Saint Louis University
Temple
U Colorado (state school)
Tufts
U IA (seems to be pretty friendly to OOS....56/152 seats went to OOS acceptees). I suspect that the majority of these are from the states bordering IA though.
Dartmouth
Mt Sinai
BU
Einstein
Keck/USC
Temple
Columbia OR Cornell OR Pitt OR Vandy OR Northwestern (esp. if you have the research bona fides)
Miami
U AZ-P (maybe)
U NV (maybe)
U UT (maybe)

They'll appreciate the the donation in the form of your app fees. I recommend reaches that are reasonable. You're in striking distance of the ones I've listed, but close to their floors.

I'm fine with adding a few more reach schools because, hey, why not? Where might I have a shot?

You're fine for any DO program. You might want to consider RMV, DMU, AT Still, PCOM, MUCOM, the Touros, Western, and CCOM, for starters.

Could I also get a few DO suggestions? I'll probably apply to DMU but I'm not sure where else.

Since you've fixed your deficits from the last app cycle, I don't foresee any problems this time around, and do see lots of IIs.

Additionally, how much of a handicap is it that I'm a reapplicant? I've taken the necessary steps to improve my application accordingly and will not be making the same mistakes I did last year.

def add Touro-NY. they like applicants with 30+ MCAT

Thanks for the replies (I don't feel so bad bumping now)! I'm going to look at more DO programs and starting thinking if reach schools are really that important to me. As for Utah, Goro,
Goro suggests:
U AZ-P (maybe)
U NV (maybe)
U UT (maybe)
would it help at all that my grandfather is a Utah med school alum? I've heard legacies don't count for anything when applying to med school but my (other) grandfather is an SLU alum and I got an interview there within 4 weeks of submitting my secondary so I'm a little suspicious. Regardless, Goro, thanks again for helping me out this year just like you did last year!

No, I don't think that would help at all.

As for Utah, Goro,

would it help at all that my grandfather is a Utah med school alum? I've heard legacies don't count for anything when applying to med school but my (other) grandfather is an SLU alum and I got an interview there within 4 weeks of submitting my secondary so I'm a little suspicious.

My pleasure!

Regardless, Goro, thanks again for helping me out this year just like you did last year!

Add michigan state & ohio state you would be surprised with how holistic they are and open to re-applicants they are... ^Goro's list is awesome, i'm a reapp and a bunch from that list sent invites

Add michigan state & ohio state you would be surprised with how holistic they are and open to re-applicants they are... ^Goro's list is awesome, i'm a reapp and a bunch from that list sent invites

EDIT: For DO schools, I only decided to go on two of two interviews due to traveling cost. NOVA really impressed me on their interview day and it felt like every MD interview I went on more so than the other one. They have a lot of residency programs, tons of joint program options, good rep, up to date facilities. They even let us do a lot more clinical stuff than MD schools on the interview like work with their simulation and a standardized patients. Like goro says you are good for nearly all the DO schools. Some of the competitive one's I know are Western, CCOM,PCOM, DMU & Nova .

Thanks for the input! Michigan state doesn't seem to accept a ton of OOS applicants and Ohio State's stats would be a reach for me, although they seem to matriculate approx. 50% OOS.

25% of the ppl MSU interview are OOS , which is really good for out of state schools. I personally know a handful of ppl who got interviewed there OOS, but tuition is high. You never know with OSU, you should still apply for tuition alone. Most ohio schools you can switch to instate tuition after a year. Check the OOS interview % on the MSAR over the matriculant %, because other factors affect the matriculation like COA, location etc.

Reactions: 1 user
I hope one of those waitlists works out OP! Goro's list is pretty good. As an anecdote: I was in your position 2 years ago but only waitlisted at CO, state school, and didn't get in. There is a new admin this year, but I didn't send in a bunch of updates which I regret. Definitely show interest!!! Also, as a reapp, with CO as state school i got interviews at Jeff, Rush, and NYMC, so definitely cnosider those.

GOOD LUCK! you definitely have the stats for MD, but definitely a solid idea to throw in a few DOs just in case.

Reactions: 1 user
I hope one of those waitlists works out OP! Goro's list is pretty good. As an anecdote: I was in your position 2 years ago but only waitlisted at CO, state school, and didn't get in. There is a new admin this year, but I didn't send in a bunch of updates which I regret. Definitely show interest!!! Also, as a reapp, with CO as state school i got interviews at Jeff, Rush, and NYMC, so definitely cnosider those.

GOOD LUCK! you definitely have the stats for MD, but definitely a solid idea to throw in a few DOs just in case.
I just interviewed at NYMC last week so we will see where that goes... Congrats on your Rush acceptance! Chicago is such a fun place to live (if you've decided to matriculate)!