33 MCAT, 3.98 sGPA, 4.00 sGPA (next cycle)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunflower18

Master of Naps
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! :) Thanks in advance for helping me out.

I just got my MCAT score back earlier this week, and I got a 33 (11 PS, 10 VR, 12 BS). This score was close to my average overall, though my VR score was quite a bit lower than my average of ~12.

The catch with my score is that I studied and took it with only one semester of biology and physics under my belt. I'd taken the full year of general chemistry and organic chemistry, though. I'm taking upper level biology and chemistry classes now, and will take physics and biochemistry next semester. So I'm not sure if my score would have been any higher with the addition of these or other upper level classes... My gut says that I probably could have scored higher if I hadn't pushed myself to study and take it before I had taken all of the pre-reqs, but I also REALLY don't want to have to retake at this point. Thoughts on if this score combined with my GPA and ECs will be enough to land me an MD acceptance?

Major: Chemistry
School: Small, unknown LAC
cGPA: 3.98
sGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 33 (11 PS, 10 VR, 12 BS)

Clinical:
** Emergency Department Scribe (20-40 hrs/wk; started March 2013)
Hospital Volunteer (~550 hrs total; 2007-2012)
Shadow (~200 hrs with 6 physicians so far)
Campus EMS Responder & Leader (4 hrs/wk during academic year only; started January 2012)

Research:
Summer Research Assistant (30 hrs/wk during summer only; summer 2012)
Academic Year Research Assistant (6 hrs/wk during academic year only; started September 2012)
2nd author presentation, 3rd author poster. 2nd author paper to be submitted fall 2013!

Employment:
Tour Guide (3 hrs/wk during academic year only; started September 2012)
** Injury Prevention Program Graphic Design Intern (10 hrs/wk during summer 2012, 20 hrs/wk during winter break 2012-13)
Pre-Health Administrative Intern (15 hrs/wk during academic year only; September 2011-February 2013)

Teaching & Tutoring:
Group Organic Chemistry Tutor (2 hrs/wk; started September 2013)
Private General Chemistry Tutor (2 hrs/wk; started September 2013)
Private Upper Level Psychology Tutor (2 hrs/wk; started September 2013)
Lab TA for Introductory Biology (8 hrs/wk during spring 2013 semester)
Lab TA for Organic Chem (10 hrs/wk during fall 2013 semester)
Neuroscience teacher (~20 hrs total; fall 2012 semester)

Non-Clinical Volunteering:
Swim instructor aide (4 hrs/wk during academic year only; started January 2012)
Chemistry Club President (~60 hrs total so far with more to come; started as club member in September 2012, elected as president in May 2012)

Artistic:
Published poet in several national literary magazines (started in 2008)
Editorial Board Member of campus literary magazine (3 hrs/wk during academic year only; January 2012-December 2012)

Awards:
Organic Chemistry Student of Year (awarded by school; 2012-13 academic year)
Pre-Medical Scholarship (awarded by school in 2013 for 2013-14 academic year)

I haven't yet compiled a full school list or anything, as I have quite a bit of time. I'll probably apply to 20-30 schools. Basically, I just want to know if I should start planning for an MCAT retake, or if I'm in an okay position as is. Thanks so much, all!

Members don't see this ad.

Retaking a 33 would be only an exercise in hubris.

I haven't yet compiled a full school list or anything, as I have quite a bit of time. I'll probably apply to 20-30 schools. Basically, I just want to know if I should start planning for an MCAT retake, or if I'm in an okay position as is. Thanks so much, all!

Retaking a 33 would be only an exercise in hubris.

Okay, good. I don't want to retake, but I just wanted to make sure that my application was solid enough to give me a strong chance at getting in somewhere this year. Retaking the MCAT is better than reapplying.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems you devote a lot of time to your ECs. If you can let your passion and devotion shine through your ECs, I think retaking the 33 would be silly.

It seems you devote a lot of time to your ECs. If you can let your passion and devotion shine through your ECs, I think retaking the 33 would be silly.

I do!! I love love love my ECs. I definitely spend 40+ hours a week while in school full-time on my extracurriculars. Hopefully they aren't seen as cookie cutter or standard or boring or anything. I really am passionate about what I'm doing, and I think that would be clear in an interview -- I just have to get invited in order to prove that!! Thanks for your input :)

Being a published poet is definitely not cookie-cutter!!

I do!! I love love love my ECs. I definitely spend 40+ hours a week while in school full-time on my extracurriculars. Hopefully they aren't seen as cookie cutter or standard or boring or anything. I really am passionate about what I'm doing, and I think that would be clear in an interview -- I just have to get invited in order to prove that!! Thanks for your input :)
With a good list you are a shoo in.

Being a published poet is definitely not cookie-cutter!!

Yup agreed. I'd focus on the mid/top tiers.

Thanks everyone!! This is a big relief to hear.

Sorry to bump my own thread, seems a bit awkward, but I have been doing a lot of research on schools and wanted to run a tentative school list by you guys! If you're wondering why I'm doing all this now, it's because I have a pretty light schedule this semester but will have a very tough one next semester. I want to get as much done now as I can so that I'm not struggling in six months!

Okay, here we go. School list. 30 schools -- 5 with avg MCAT <32, 15 with avg MCAT 32-34, and 10 with avg MCAT >34.

Avg MCAT < 32:
Oakland Beaumont University
Temple University
Virginia Commonwealth University
Medical College of Wisconsin
George Washington University

Avg MCAT 32-34:
OHSU
New York Medical College
Rosalind Franklin University
Georgetown University
Jefferson University
University of Arizona - Phoenix
Albert Einstein of Yeshiva University
Mayo Medical College
University of Colorado
Virginia Tech Carillion
University of Southern California
Wake Forest University
Dartmouth University
Boston University
University of Cincinnati

Avg MCAT > 34:
University of Pittsburgh
Emory University
Baylor University
Johns Hopkins University
Stanford University
Harvard University
CCLCM
Duke University
Vanderbilt University
Yale University

EDIT: I guess I should mention the criteria I used when looking. I wanted to find schools that had missions I agreed with, curriculums I thought sounded appealing, a lot of student research opportunities (especially in cancer), and a radiation oncology residency program (as that is the most competitive specialty that I'm interested in). Not all of these schools meet the last criteria, but they should definitely meet the first two. I am not terribly fascinated by the idea of primary care, and I think OHSU is really only the primary care heavy school on this last... But it's IS and does have a fantastic cancer institute, so it stays!