33 MCAT: Should I be a DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RoyalAgent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 33 MCAT and a 3.65 sGPA and a 3.65 cGPA. I applied to only DO schools this year and got into mostly everywhere I applied. My only regret is that I didn't apply to MD schools and not just apply but I didn't apply early. My last applications were sent in November which by that point I felt it was too late to apply for MD schools and just decided not to to save money with the plan to reapply next year. However, I got into a good DO school instate which is 1) cheap 2) has good reputation within the state 3) lots of connections 3) good facilities

My original plan was to just apply DO school, get in to one and be safe, and the reapply to MD schools right when the app opens. However, I don't know if I should reapply next year when I can start this year. There's still a chance I wont get into an MD school but I feel like I have a really good shot at one. I've also gotten really good at all types of interviews from this year which I can use toward for the next cycle.

My dilemma is with the DO stereotype that that DOs have many doors closed for them. If I were to go DO, I know I'll probably end up being a primary care physician (which I'm fine with) but with changes to IBR and PSLF, I dont think the pay justifies the debt, so I would probably need to specialize.

What should I do? Defer for a year and reapply to MD schools? Or start this year at a DO school?

Members don't see this ad.

Be aware that it might not look good on future applications that you already got into medical school and turned it down.

o_O why why why

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think your numbers are good for MD. I would go for it if you have good extracurriculars. MD schools can't tell if you applied DO before afaik

DO. Your numbers are average at best for md and you might not get in anywhere in which case you would reapply DO the following year and then hopefully get in and be behind 2 years from when you started.

Since when is 3.65 and 33 considered borderline unacceptable for MD schools? Have I been living under a rock?

Reactions: 32 users
Just go to the DO school, it's not going to hold you back. My brother in law went to a little DO school and is currently in his dermatology residency... It didn't hold him back at all. If you want to get in and do what it takes you will regardless of where you go.

Go for the DO school, especially since it sounds like its a well known school. Many specialties are DO friendly by the way, you will not be stuck in primary care if you do not want to be...

Hey guys, I have a 33 MCAT and a 3.65 sGPA and a 3.65 cGPA. I applied to only DO schools this year and got into mostly everywhere I applied. My only regret is that I didn't apply to MD schools and not just apply but I didn't apply early. My last applications were sent in November which by that point I felt it was too late to apply for MD schools and just decided not to to save money with the plan to reapply next year. However, I got into a good DO school instate which is 1) cheap 2) has good reputation within the state 3) lots of connections 3) good facilities

My original plan was to just apply DO school, get in to one and be safe, and the reapply to MD schools right when the app opens. However, I don't know if I should reapply next year when I can start this year. There's still a chance I wont get into an MD school but I feel like I have a really good shot at one. I've also gotten really good at all types of interviews from this year which I can use toward for the next cycle.

My dilemma is with the DO stereotype that that DOs have many doors closed for them. If I were to go DO, I know I'll probably end up being a primary care physician (which I'm fine with) but with changes to IBR and PSLF, I dont think the pay justifies the debt, so I would probably need to specialize.

What should I do? Defer for a year and reapply to MD schools? Or start this year at a DO school?

Step 1: Attend DO

DO. Your numbers are average at best for md and you might not get in anywhere in which case you would reapply DO the following year and then hopefully get in and be behind 2 years from when you started.

Not this.

Reactions: 4 users

You should build a time machine and make a choice that you don't regret. Or, learn from your experience and make a choice that you won't regret.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know this is just one example, but one of the most popular and successful surgeons at the hospital where I've been volunteering was DO. And it was a long time ago when he applied, many more doors have opened since then. If you're good, you can specialize in whatever you want.

Your stats were fairly competitive for MD programs. Your GPA and MCAT were definitely competitive for D.O. programs, as shown by your multiple acceptances. You didn't list an extracurricular activities, though. Honestly, if you got into pretty much all the D.O. schools to which you applied, I would just go to the D.O. school.

You should build a time machine and make a choice that you don't regret. Or, learn from your experience and make a choice that you won't regret.
This sounds cold, but it's the plain reality. You made your choices. There's no point in crying about them now. If you want that MD, forgo the DO acceptance.

Go for the DO school, especially since it sounds like its a well known school. Many specialties are DO friendly by the way, you will not be stuck in primary care if you do not want to be...
What specialties are DO friendly? Can you please list them? I'd love to get your perspective.

Yes because getting a high Step 1 score is just really just a walk in the park

Same is true for md schools. I know do students in radiology and md students in IM. OPs capacity to score high is not contingent on the DO MD choice.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes because getting a high Step 1 score is just really just a walk in the park

No, but the point is the person is worrying about the wrong variable in that scenario.

What specialties are DO friendly? Can you please list them? I'd love to get your perspective.

Ones that come to mind from browsing the forums: Noncompetitive IM fellowships (like renal, infectious, Rheumo, etc), EM, radiology, neurology, psych, etc. Really the only ones that appear to be unfriendly is anything that is already highly competitive for MDs. Even in that case it is still possible to get them, you just face a little more of a battle then your MD counterparts. For example my brother goes to a pediatric DO orthopedist.

since 33 was the average matriculated mcat according to newest msar :/

It's median accepted MCAT - that's incorrect information. And I've been browsing MSAR vs. actual school websites and MSAR seems highly inflated

Ones that come to mind from browsing the forums: Noncompetitive IM fellowships (like renal, infectious, Rheumo, etc), EM, radiology, neurology, psych, etc. Really the only ones that appear to be unfriendly is anything that is already highly competitive for MDs. Even in that case it is still possible to get them, you just face a little more of a battle then your MD counterparts. For example my brother goes to a pediatric DO orthopedist.
It seems that the really academic specialties pose the biggest barriers.

Going to a DO school will place you at a disadvantage at academic medical programs at MD programs. It's important to understand that. Don't plan on going into academic medicine, matching at academic medical programs, or becoming tenured at academic medical centers as a DO. Please look at Charting Outcomes for an overall view.

Going to a DO school will place you at a disadvantage at academic medical programs at MD programs. It's important to understand that. Don't plan on going into academic medicine, matching at academic medical programs, or becoming tenured at academic medical centers as a DO. Please look at Charting Outcomes for an overall view.

Is not rocket science that there is a bias. It would be just as hard for me as an MD to teach at Michigan State COM.

Sorry for the double post. Listen, anecdotes are facts. Just because there are DOs in every field of allopathic medicine doesn't mean it's easy or even feasible. Any concern about DOs being inferior to MDs is silly and childish and doesn't belong on this forum. However, at the same time you must acknowledge that if you want to do certain specialities as an MD it's super hard and as a DO virtually impossible. Specialities are matching 1-2 DOs a year if that. Hell, some programs like urology have a 60% match for MDs!!!! DO should not be an alternative path to be an MD because you may be disappointed.

are you ****ing kidding me? those numbers are awesome. i wish i was in your position. Don't you dare go DO

I'm slightly higher in MCAT and GPA than you, and after much thought, decided DO was the best choice I could make. Do you want to give up 200+k in potential first year earnings for a CHANCE at an MD instead of a DO?

Sorry for the double post. Listen, anecdotes are facts. Just because there are DOs in every field of allopathic medicine doesn't mean it's easy or even feasible. Any concern about DOs being inferior to MDs is silly and childish and doesn't belong on this forum. However, at the same time you must acknowledge that if you want to do certain specialities as an MD it's super hard and as a DO virtually impossible. Specialities are matching 1-2 DOs a year if that. Hell, some programs like urology have a 60% match for MDs!!!! DO should not be an alternative path to be an MD because you may be disappointed.

since 33 was the average matriculated mcat according to newest msar :/

Keep in mind not ALL schools have a median accepted MCAT of a 33. If a score less than 33 would block out an applicant, there would be vacant seats left and right!

If the school is one of the better DO schools as you say, and has historically done a good job of matching it's students into programs/specialties you yourself think you'd be content with then I don't see the issue. From here on out it will be what you make it.

Same is true for md schools. I know do students in radiology and md students in IM. OPs capacity to score high is not contingent on the DO MD choice.
Maybe not, but the OP's necessity to score high is.

No, but the point is the person is worrying about the wrong variable in that scenario.
Not really, all parts of a residency application play into ranking. The variables are interrelated

Nope. Some specialities (acgme) are pretty much exclusive to MDs.
This.

Plastics comes to mind.

You are lying to yourself or in outright denial if you think that do's can enter any acgme specialty if you just score high enough.

from the mouths of babes…

SDN premed banter remains unchanged. The wheel in the sky keeps on turning…

@RoyalAgent apply far and wide. And don't rush the story. Much time left in the short existence you currently think is forever. That said, if you were accepted to a DO school and turn down offers, I wouldn't expect much love come your next spin around the track.

SDN premed banter remains unchanged. The wheel in the sky keeps on turning…

OP apply far and wide. And don't rush… but don't turn down acceptances either… hence the don't rush.
I know a plastics pd. They have yet to accept a do.

edit: 100 posts baby!:soexcited:

Maybe not, but the OP's necessity to score high is.

Exactly and OP can decide to pursue a medical education this coming year and have most doors open (with a few very competitive specialties less likely, which the OP doesn't seem interested in (hence applying DO in the first place)) OR apply to MD schools and hope he gets in next year thus postponing his education one year so that he can go into plastics because that is obviously the next notch above a DO PCP. The major barrier in the second case is actually getting into an MD school. It's not a guarantee. Not sure why OP put in the effort to apply only DO if not okay with going.

Last edited:
I know a plastics pd. They have yet to accept a do.
Plastics huh? Nice.

Don't think anyone is arguing with you here. Your shot at plastics in an MD school is this much - <--- (that thing) better. But it is better.

It's not a guarantee. Not sure why OP put in the effort to apply only DO if not okay with going.

This because by turning down his acceptances he's somewhat shooting himself in the foot for next year. Many DO schools have been known to give the cold shoulder following a turndown. He shouldn't have applied if he didn't have the intention of going.

OP, your numbers are nearly identical to mine, and I ended up with 7-8 MD acceptances. Granted this was in 2007-2008, but not THAT much has changed. Who orchestrated this whole ill-advised plan of yours?

Reactions: 1 users
Going back to the OP's question though, he doesn't seem to aspire to do some extremely competitive residency that even many MDs fail to match in. He was concerned about being stuck in primary care and wanted to do a specialty that would pay a bit more which is very doable as a DO.

I basically did the same thing you did. Had a 33 and a 3.77 but applied a little bit late and was wait listed at an MD and accepted to all DO schools I went on an interview to. It's up to you what to do. I don't regret my decision and have yet to meet a doc who actually gave a **** about titles. I just don't worry about things I can't control.

Why do people apply DO if they don't have any intention to go? Just for fun? Because they have a bunch of spare money to apply? Because they haven't put any thought into the possibility of being a DO?

There are all these threads on SDN of people with a >30 MCAT and >3.6 GPA who get into a DO school and suddenly they think they are too good for it and should have gone MD. It makes no sense!

Reactions: 14 users
Why do people apply DO if they don't have any intention to go? Just for fun? Because they have a bunch of spare money to apply? Because they haven't put any thought into the possibility of being a DO?

There are all these threads on SDN of people with a >30 MCAT and >3.6 GPA who get into a DO school and suddenly they think they are too good for it and should have gone MD. It makes no sense!

Exactly. You chose to apply to osteo schools and most likely spent well over $2000. Now you have multiple acceptances, find the best fit and just attend. Unless you are already aiming for the most competitive specialties or really want to wait another year, just suck in your pride and go to med school now. Work your butt off and you'll be successful.

I really don't know what your intention was of applying to DO school when you were aware of the risks, OP. You knew traditionally that DOs tend to place into primary care residencies. You knew that certain programs are off limits to even the most talented DO graduates. You knew that academic medicine would be a no-go But noooo....you still applied--and lo and behold--you managed to snag a spot. What were you trying to accomplish? Were you trying to flex some of your acceptances?

You really need to sit down and contemplate what your career goals are. If you are gunning for the top residencies/specialties or have an interest in academic medicine, you should probably fill out the AMCAS. Otherwise, I don't see the issue with going to DO school. Incidentally, with the new ACGME-AOA merger, I suspect you'll have decent options either way. You have good numbers.