35 mcat 3.78 gpa reapp school list help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

immolard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
11/12/12
3.78 c 3.79 sc
phi beta kappa

BS in chem from a state university

1 summer of research with an old research prof of mine
1 year research with 1 publication with another old research prof of mine
1 year clinical research with a well known medical university doctor (with rec letter)
100 hours shadowing
co-founder/officer of community service org (tutoring) about 200 hours
experience as a dental office assistant
employed as a chemist

Here's what I was thinking

Drexel
West Virginia
Columbia
Jefferson
Buffalo SUNY
USC Keck
U Pitt
UNC
U of Washington
Tulane
Virginia Commonwealth
Rosalind Franklin
U of Iowa Carver
Mayo Clinic
Indiana
UCSF
Temple
Rush
Albany
Albert Einstein
Medical College of Wisconsin
Georgetown
George Washington
St. Louis
Vermont college of medicine
West Virginia college of medicine
UNM School of Medicine

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
At which of these are you a re-applicant? Residence?

Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly. An application like yours should have resulted in multiple interviews.
I went from a 31 -> 35 and improved my healthcare experience in the past year. I got a bunch of waitlists last year.

I went from a 31 -> 35 and improved my healthcare experience in the past year. I got a bunch of waitlists last year.
Here's your problem. Most of us who screen applicants from TX realize that you are far more likely to get into and attend a TX school. We therefore are much less likely to interview anyone from this state unless they are some kind of superstar to whom we are willing to throw some cash.

Here's your problem. Most of us who screen applicants from TX realize that your are far more likely to get into and attend a TX school. We therefore are much less likely to interview anyone from this state unless they are some kind of superstar to whom we are willing to throw some cash.
Well that's a bummer.

Bump, still lookin for school list advice

An early IS application with additional clinical experience (and some mock interviews).
There are no OOS schools where you have a better chance at admission than you have in TX.

Yes I understand that but I see no reason not to apply out of state in addition to all of the Texas schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK so you definitely are applying to all Texas schools as well? So it is like 27 OOS plus Texas? I have no idea how many schools Texas has, but I see a lot of secondaries in your future.

What are you looking for in a school? I know your scores should be high for MSU but the problem with the school is that it is in Michigan and it's cold.

OK so you definitely are applying to all Texas schools as well? So it is like 27 OOS plus Texas? I have no idea how many schools Texas has, but I see a lot of secondaries in your future.

What are you looking for in a school? I know your scores should be high for MSU but the problem with the school is that it is in Michigan and it's cold.
I've been prewriting secondaries like there's no tomorrow. I'll go anywhere. Michigan is pretty, I'll take it. Do they like oos?

I've been prewriting secondaries like there's no tomorrow. I'll go anywhere. Michigan is pretty, I'll take it. Do they like oos?

Like 20% of MSU's class is OOS roughly.

I interviewed there, LOVED the school, HATED the weather.

The lack of clinical volunteering is worrisome. I don't see any evidence that you know what you're getting into, nor that you want to spend the next 30-40 years being around sick or injured people, who are, for the most part, very different from your dental clients.

Reactions: 1 user
Goro suggests

All TX schools
USC Keck
Vanderbilt
Mt Sinai
Hofstra
Va Tech
Tufts
BU
Rochester
Cornell
Dartmouth
Emory
U Miami
Loyola
U CO
U Pitt
Tulane
Mayo Clinic
Albert Einstein
Georgetown
George Washington
St. Louis

Goro suggests

All TX schools
USC Keck
Vanderbilt
Mt Sinai
Hofstra
Va Tech
Tufts
BU
Rochester
Cornell
Dartmouth
Emory
U Miami
Loyola
U CO
U Pitt
Tulane
Mayo Clinic
Albert Einstein
Georgetown
George Washington
St. Louis

Thanks brah.

How'd you end up getting that 12 on verbal?? I saw your mcat post.

How'd you end up getting that 12 on verbal?? I saw your mcat post.
Sorry I never replied. Idk man I was just really zoned in on test day I guess lol. I was expecting a completely different spread. that's just how the mcat works; never know until the score comes out. I was kinda bummed that my sciences were below 13 given my track record but the 12 verbal is way worth it

Here's your problem. Most of us who screen applicants from TX realize that you are far more likely to get into and attend a TX school. We therefore are much less likely to interview anyone from this state unless they are some kind of superstar to whom we are willing to throw some cash.

For any tx residents reading, I ended up getting accepted to several oos schools vs a single in state acceptance so it's definitely worth applying oos even as a non-superstar tx resident. I'm still confused by this entire process. Just gonna run with it.

For any tx residents reading, I ended up getting accepted to several oos schools vs a single in state acceptance so it's definitely worth applying oos even as a non-superstar tx resident. I'm still confused by this entire process. Just gonna run with it.

Yes agreed, I am a TX resident reap and didn't get a single II in texas however I have 2 acceptances and 3 II so far in OOS schools.

Which one will you attend!

What do you mean by that?
One of the reasons that yield is so low on TX applicants (for the OOS schools) is the extraordinarily low tuition IS!

This is why we tend not to interview, it's inefficient for all concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
One of the reasons that yield is so low on TX applicants (for the OOS schools) is the extraordinarily low tuition IS!

This is why we tend not to interview, it's inefficient for all concerned.

Well it seemed to prove efficient for howbaddoyouwantit, and definitely gave me a peace of mind while waiting for a reply from IS schools.

Well it seemed to prove efficient for howbaddoyouwantit, and definitely gave me a peace of mind while waiting for a reply from IS schools.

That being said, I just wanted to let future sdn'ers from Texas know that oos won't completely ignore them. That was why I made the recent post.

Even the most unlikely strategy works occasionally!

I received about 3 times as many interviews out of state as I did in state. That is more than occasional in my book.

I received about 3 times as many interviews out of state as I did in state. That is more than occasional in my book.

Same bizarre thing happened to me. Received interviews at over half of the schools I applied to OOS, whereas I only received 3/9 IS with no acceptances.

Last edited: