36R 3.82 cGPA 3.79 sGPA, DUI at age 17

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medapplicant1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering how I should go about dealing with my DUI conviction when I was seventeen years old, I am twenty-two now. During my junior year in high school I was having a very low point in my life. My brother passed away from a drug overdose the year before and my mother was going through her second divorce from an abusive alcoholic/cocaine user who was my step dad. During my junior year I crashed a vehicle and broke my neck which initially caused me to fall into a deeper state of self hate because of the physical limitations this placed on me, though I have since fully recovered. I received a DUI the summer after my junior year and that in collaboration with the death of my best friend only two weeks after my DUI charge due to his father driving intoxicated shocked me into a state of self reflection and unfortunate reality.

I in no way advocate my actions or in any way am attempting to justify what happened by dismissing my responsibility. After my best friend's death I attempted to put my life back together and with the inspiration I felt from my orthopedic surgeon decided that I wanted to better myself and my community by pursuing an elusive dream of becoming a doctor. I moved out of state to go to college in order to truly start my life over and have since had no offenses or anything negative on my record. I completely changed as a person and feel like I don't even know the person I used to be; however, it is unfortunately still a part of my past. I was forced to mature at a very young age and I hope that I can convey this to an admissions committee. I am wondering how I should go about addressing this in my application since I will be applying one year before I will be able to expunge it from my record, even then it will be visible to a licensing board but hopefully they will be understanding.

Should I address it in my personal statement? I am ashamed of the DUI and regret it in many ways but am, in at least some part, thankful for it because it gave me a very harsh reality check that I needed and I would not be the person I am today having not had it and my other losses happen. This is why I am not afraid to confront my past, but I am wondering where would be an appropriate place to confront it. Like I said I have a 3.82 cGPA and a 3.79 sGPA with a 36R MCAT. Any advice is appreciated even if that is, "your chances are slim to none" because I realize the burden my actions have had and will continue to have on my life but I hope to embody my past and be empowered by my mistakes.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if certiphi will pick up on anything you commited as a juvenile (under 18), so you might be alright. Contact certiphi and ask them about this, if they say it'll show up then seriously consider applying after it's been expunged 'cause you're in with those numbers and an mcat retake shouldn't be a problem if your score expires by then. . .

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were on an admissions committee I would never let you in (best friend killed by a drunk driver), but I suspect some ad com will look kindly on you if you apologize for your grievous mistake.

umm he didnt kill his friend...

to the OP this is kinda different than a DUI during college, which is a huge red flag. maybe you could explain it as being young and immature since it happened in hs. a DUI is still pretty bad but in my mind the fact that it happened in hs not college kinda lessens the impact. you should ask someone like LizzyM or admission people anonymously

Last edited:
If I were on an admissions committee I would never let you in (best friend killed by a drunk driver), but I suspect some ad com will look kindly on you if you apologize for your grievous mistake.

you are an idiot; don't accuse someone without reading his story properly- as far as i can tell, he didn't kill his friend.

OP don't worry. Most adcoms will probably ask you about the incident but i personally think with your stats your definitely not someone schools will turn down.

I am hoping that this person just misread your comment...It sounds like you have been through a lot but were able to pull your life around despite the odds. If I were on an admissions committee I would rather accept you than someone with the same stats that hasn't prevailed against any difficult times in life. I would recommend mentioning this stuff in your personal statement, as well as describing how it will help you in your career in medicine. You will undoubtedly encounter patients who have issues with drug abuse and other tough issues, and you are probably more likely to be more empathetic toward them since you understand it firsthand.

However, I am just a pre-med and not an admissions committee, so don't take anything I say as the Bible.

umm he didnt kill his friend...

Read everything again.

You have a place to explain this kind of stuff in your application. Be heartfelt and sincere there. Also, maybe do some anti-drunk driving volunteer things to show that you've grown. Other than that apply broadly and hope for the best.

Read everything again.

You have a place to explain this kind of stuff in your application. Be heartfelt and sincere there. Also, maybe do some anti-drunk driving volunteer things to show that you've grown. Other than that apply broadly and hope for the best.

"I received a DUI the summer after my junior year and that in collaboration with the death of my best friend only two weeks after my DUI charge due to his father driving intoxicated shocked me into a state of self reflection and unfortunate reality. "

so the OP didnt kill anyone but one of the poster's friend was killed by drunk driver... yea if the admission people have experiences similar to this guy i doubt you stand a chance

Last edited:
DanGee777 didn't misread the OP, everyone misread DanGee's post. DanGee's friend was killed by a drunk driver, so he's saying that if he were on adcom he would not be forgiving to a person with a DUI. Actual adcoms may feel the same way.

"I received a DUI the summer after my junior year and that in collaboration with the death of my best friend only two weeks after my DUI charge due to his father driving intoxicated shocked me into a state of self reflection and unfortunate reality. "

so the OP didnt kill anyone but one of the poster's friend was killed by drunk driver...

I know. The 3rd poster said HIS best friend was killed by a drunk driver, not that the OP killed his friend.

Members don't see this ad :)
I meant that one of my best friends was killed by a drunk driver. He wanted to go to med school just like this guy, but they don't admit dead people. I don't want to drag OP's thread off course
But his line about how he has great stats plus the DWI really irked me. Plenty of great stat applicants out there who don't have DWIs to explain.

I am very sorry for your loss and have, as I explained in my opening post, also lost one of the people closest to me due to his father choosing to drink and drive. For this reason I offer my condolences but I understand your point of view that there is nothing really I could do to atone for this mistake as I put myself and others in jeopardy. I have since been an advocate against drugs and alcohol and collaborated work with mothers against drunk driving. Because of this I am not really trying to negate the fact that it happened because I am deeply remorseful for it but more work through it to become a better person.

Well, everyone does make mistakes. I don't think anyone can honestly say they've never made a big mistake. The difference is the OP got caught. I personally think texting and driving is just as dangerous (or have they proved yet it's more dangerous?) than drinking and driving. How many people can say they've never texted and drove? Or never done anything they knew they shouldn't have? OP learned from his mistake, which is what is important. But I digress.

But I would definitely first check into whether or not medical schools will be able to see your history. You want to make sure the information is correct because the worst thing would be sitting around wondering why you didn't get a single interview because you thought the adcom couldn't see your records and so you didn't talk about this.

If they can't see your records, then I wouldn't talk about it. It will hurt your application and honestly, if they by law cannot have access to it, it's really none of their business (IMO). If you had continued to screw up, then you would be in jail right now, or at least not doing as well as you are.

If they do have access to it, then that's a bit tricky. I would honestly advise waiting until you can have it expunged. Once you apply and that information is out there to the adcoms, you can't take it back. Even if you apply this year and don't get in and apply to completely different schools next year, some adcoms (esp ones in the same region) do talk to each other, or that's what my pre-health committee tells us anyway.

Ultimately, if the choice is between waiting one year and just not getting in, then I'd just hold off for a year. The average age for matriculation to med school is 24, anyway. No rush.

Nothing you can change, so don't worry about it.

I forgive you too. Can't hold someone with a brain hemorrhage responsible for spouting nonsense.

Sincerely,
The idiot

Dear Idiot,

It takes balls to come to SDN above all places and admit to a DWI; show some sympathy, fact is your future patients will probably have done even stupider things, are you going to be just as condescending towards them?

Ps: i spell my name the way i spell it on purpose.

wow really? complaining about "crapfest" while contributing to the "crapfest"? I wonder who is more pretentious, the person that miss read what people wrote, or the person that spend multiple post reminding people that they miss read lol

as for the op I am stating your hs DUI might be less severe than a college DUI simply because during the app process medical schools doesnt care about any of the EC/stuff you did in high school. that is definitely true for activities, but I am not sure about criminal records.

To my knowledge, background checks are done at the secondary level of the application (definitely upon acceptance).

Mention it. It will show up, and you will for sure be penalized if you aren't upfront about it. You need to be completely transparent regarding criminal or academic misconduct.

Good luck to you.

Was this a felony or misdemeanor DUI? It does not really matter concerning your AMCAS primary application because both the misdemeanor and the felony section have the wording “excluding 1) any offense for which you were adjudicated as a juvenile…” As such you should not report it on your primary application as it occurred when you were 17 (unless for some strange reason you were tried as an adult). As someone else mentioned above, the background check is performed after your acceptance. As to what exactly appears on your background check…it would be best to ask Certiphi directly. Or wait to expunge your record and then perform your own background check on yourself.
However, I would say most schools (but not all) secondary include the question, or some version of, “Have you ever been convicted or plead guilty or no contest to a crime?” You should for sure explain yourself and report your DUI if ever asked this question as that there are no exclusions as in the AMCAS primary application. Bad Juju if you’re caught trying to hide something from medical schools after you are accepted.
Also, in what state did your DUI occur? Kind of matters withthe whole ability to get it expunged.

I got in with two alcohol-related arrests and a marijuana paraphernalia conviction. I even declared every little detail. I was 19 and 20 at the times of arrest. Nobody mentioned a single word about any of it. I interviewed 6 years after the convictions.

I got in with two alcohol-related arrests and a marijuana paraphernalia conviction. I even declared every little detail. I was 19 and 20 at the times of arrest. Nobody mentioned a single word about any of it. I interviewed 6 years after the convictions.

lol really? wow i thought one record is enough to severely affect chance of admission.

so its not the end of the world, just list everything on the application

lol really? wow i thought one record is enough to severely affect chance of admission.

No, but it depends on the conviction. Academic dishonesty is much worse than say, minor in possession. Or selling drugs is much worse than using them. A DUI is pretty bad, but in the case since it happened when OP was a minor it may be more easily forgiven.

OP, I understand your situation and don't judge you for it, if that helps. My 23-year-old self is so much more mature and developed than my 17-year-old self, and it sounds like your situation forced you to grow up faster than most. I can tell you've really dedicated yourself to pursuing medicine.

The way I see it, you have two options. 1) Try to get the DUI expunged, since it occurred while you were a minor. Then don't even mention it. 2) Mention it as part of your personal statement to show how much it changed you and what you've done since in an attempt to better yourself. Don't mention your life circumstances as an excuse, but DO discuss the things that made you realize how awful your offense was. I think choice 1 is preferable but choice 2 will be okay if you can explain things in the proper light.

Have you had any alcohol- or drug-related offenses since the DUI, even minor ones like getting written up in your dorm? If so, your chances may be diminished. Adcoms probably won't be happy if they see a pattern of alcohol abuse from an early age that does not have an identifiable stopping point.

Dear Idiot,

It takes balls to come to SDN above all places and admit to a DWI; show some sympathy, fact is your future patients will probably have done even stupider things, are you going to be just as condescending towards them?

Ps: i spell my name the way i spell it on purpose.

I love this. It's what I was wanting to say just much more eloquent. +1

I think you'll be completely fine, but I must ask why you didnt find out about this sooner? I mean youve taken your MCAT already, so you must have been thinking about med school for at least a decent while.

I think you'll be completely fine, but I must ask why you didnt find out about this sooner? I mean youve taken your MCAT already, so you must have been thinking about med school for at least a decent while.

I guess I have just been trying to put my past behind me and move on but when I was overlooking the background check information on the AMCAS application it made me face a harsh reality that everything I have tried to do to move past it still may not be enough.

Save it. I spoke my opinion while being respectful to the OP and said he'd prob get in. I was called an idiot for it. You helped mischaracterize what I said and then edited your post when you were proven wrong. A reasonable person would have apologized for misreading my post. If you get this insulted over SDN then that's worrisome.

:lol:

Lots of guts. No idea what was said because I have him on ignore, but I admire your mountain of courage, Ashley. It's a big asset.

Ok. You're coming across as petty, confrontational, too emotional, and overly sensitive. A person cannot seem to disagree with you or agree with an opposing view without you ejaculating bull****.

Is that courage enough for you?

As I said, not as eloquently put as before.

Ok. You're coming across as petty, confrontational, too emotional, and overly sensitive. A person cannot seem to disagree with you or agree with an opposing view without you ejaculating bull****.

Is that courage enough for you?

As I said, not as eloquently put as before.

It wasn't an opposing view point, people were actively misreading her post and insulting her because of it. I don't think she handled the situation perfectly, but you are doing an even worse job :thumbdown:

Just let it go.

It wasn't an opposing view point, people were actively misreading her post and insulting her because of it. I don't think she handled the situation perfectly, but you are doing an even worse job :thumbdown:

Just let it go.

Can't you see my point? I was essentially being put down. "lots of guts" "admire your courage Ashley" etc so I went the polar opposite because apparently my respectful agreement from before wasnt good enough.

And furthermore if you look at my previous posts I never am a jerk, nor was I a jerk before in my first post although I made a point and was a jerk in my second.

Although i am taking your advice now and letting it go.

Can't you see my point? I was essentially being put down. "lots of guts" "admire your courage Ashley" etc so I went the polar opposite because apparently my respectful agreement from before wasnt good enough.

Eh, upon further review she's not being too nice... but you should probably just let it go anyway, some people are just mean :thumbup:

Eh, upon further review she's not being too nice... but you should probably just let it go anyway, some people are just mean :thumbup:

*sigh* I shouldn't have stooped to that level. Ahhh I feel bad now. Oh well. :)

Just let it go.
Agreed. I just saw this thread now, and DanGee was a bit jerk-y to me in another thread, but the people hating on him/her here are the ones in the wrong. S/he didn't do anything wrong - a bunch of people misread, then started a sh|tshow over it. I don't blame him/her for responding that way given that they kept ripping from a misreading.

Not sure why everyone thinks I'm a jerk.

Re the other thread sephiroth, I'm sorry if I came off as a bitch. I wasn't trying to be mean when I said that I'm glad that others disagree with you, I just strongly believe that those whose families paid the taxes to help fund the public institutions should have a heavy preference to get into them.

I'm glad you see what went on here. I addressed the OP on here politely, told him/her I'd reject him/her if I were an ad-com (which I'm not, obviously), but said that some MD school somewhere in the country would probably accept him if he/she showed remorse for his lapse in judgment.

Other people jumped on me and accused me of misrepresenting and distorting the OP's story. Hemorrage jumped on me and called me an idiot. I told him/her to work on reading comp and made a joke about his username, because I was clearly talking about my friend who was killed by a drunk. The OP saw my post and conveyed some touching thoughts, and I responded in kind, and thanked him for his polite words, and wished him luck in the admissions process. Someone else then jumped on me and accused me of complaining about the pile-on while contributing to it, which is a bunch of crap. Then hemorrage stepped in again and told me to show some balls and stop being condescending (yeah I took him off ignore to see it). I was never condescending to the OP. I said if I were an ad-com, I wouldn't admit him, because my friend was killed by a drunk. I thought it was clear from the statement that if an ad-com had gone through a similar situation, that it would probably be bad news for his app. Ashley then jumped on and congratulated hemorrage for delivering the SMACK DOWN on my sugary booty. I responded with a bit of snark, and yeah...

Whatever. This is typical pre-allo. I was never a dick to the OP.

Thanks Sephiroth . Thanks to ismet and TexasMD20 for realizing what was going on as well.

Ok just one final thought. If hemorrage was on ignore how can you say it was a smack down? You said yourself you didn't read it. That one comment really wasn't all that bad, i felt it was thoughtful which is why I agreed.

Look, it's unfortunate that you were misunderstood, no one deserves that, however can we all agree to simply move forward now?

Do you understand now? I don't think telling me to some balls is a very thoughtful comment. I'm not upset about it. I approach things rationally. He had just made a second rude comment so I gave him some snark in return and then he responded. You agreed with his rude comment when you weren't even involved in the conversation so I responded to you with some snark, and you acted a bit shocked by it. What did you expect me to say?

I'm fine with dropping it, but I don't like people insinuating that I started this poostorm because that is NOT what happened. Look at that guy's post history who you were defending.

I agree with what he said when he stated that it takes courage to admit to a DWI, especially on SDN. I also agree that we will see patients who have done worse things then this and cannot judge them. Regardless of if what you were saying was initally misunderstood or not, How is that rude? In fact, it doesn't include you as much as the whole idea that we all (including the OP) mess up and will see patients who have messed up far worse then they. Possibly you were thinking I was +1ing him calling you an idiot, but I am +1ing the bulk of the comment. So yes, I was shocked when you were snarky because I wasn't intending to bash you.

Hope we are both better understood now.

No prob. In the future, you should realize that when you +1 someone's comment after quoting it in full, you're +1'ing everything in it, including the insults. Almost everyone on the other end of it would have seen it that way. And yes, the reason I was snarky was because I thought you were +1'ing him calling me an idiot for the SECOND time. I hadn't insulted him before he called me one. It's against forum rules and it was disappointing to see yet another person jumping to the defense of someone who clearly hadn't even read my original post for understanding.

Ah I understand now. I'm always on my phone and don't know how to bold or quote one section, so I do apologize for the misunderstanding and will keep it in mind for the future. I'm sorry that you were misunderstood, I'm sure that was very frustrating for you, and I'm happy it's all been resolved.