37MCAT, 3.68cGPA - Please help me gauge where I am!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njpremedstudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Objective:
HYP undergrad from NJ
37 MCAT (12 PS/12 VR/13 BS)
3.68 cGPA with upward trend (freshman year was rough, can get up to 3.7 by end of year)
3.6 sGPA

Subjective:

Research Experience
3 publications. I worked at a lab my freshman year summer, got published as a secondary author. Worked for a semester and a summer at another lab (25 hours a week during year and 35 hours a week during summer).
Currently working at a third lab with a smaller time commitment (10 hours a week), will be published in two papers by the end of the year.

Leadership:
- President of a large cultural organization
- Spiritual counselor/worked EXTENSIVELY in campus ministry (with many leadership positions within different ministries). Really helped me to love more and to grow a heart for people :)
- On leadership for a human rights organization for 3 years
- Sang A Capella (does a lot of service/volunteering)
- Bunch of other smaller roles in groups (don’t wanna say too much about myself)

Other ECs
- Martial arts, one of the top ranked in the country, have been doing it all my life
- Intramural Table Tennis (all 4 years, 2nd singles)
- Student Government (Sophomore year)

Other relevant experiences:
- Amazing experience in Africa doing human subjects research, development of a sustainable business plan for a community health center, implementation of a water intervention, and lots of volunteering throughout the day
- Shadowed doctors for about 100 hours

Also!
- Taking a gap year in order to get some more clinical exposure.

Questions:
The problem is that I have no idea where I should apply to, since I have a pretty bad conception of how competitive I am, and so I was wondering if you all could perhaps suggest some schools that you think I should apply to and how broadly/narrowly and where I would have a chance at getting in. I've just been doing things that I love throughout college, and in terms of ECs, not sure what is competitive for medical school.

I'm most concerned about my GPA, but there was a definite upward trend from freshman year and I foresee this semester as going really great as well! :)

Thanks for reading, and hope to see some responses!

Members don't see this ad.

buy a msar, it is a great resource for looking up schools

look up schools, then you can pick out schools that fit your stats, are a little below your stats, and ones that are higher, and boom you got a list going

Your application looks fantastic! You will be competitive at top schools without a doubt, especially with a gap year to pursue further volunteering, research, etc.

I wouldn't limit yourself when you apply next year; even the Ivy League schools are within your reach. Enjoy your gap year and try to explore something you're really passionate about.

Good luck!

-Bill R.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually have an MSAR, but the thing is I feel like those things could be misrepresentative of my chances because of ORM, and also because I feel like I frequently see people with better stats applying to schools that have lower stats and frequently getting rejected (more than I would think).

(Also, I guess it helps to say that I'm Asian).

I actually have an MSAR, but the thing is I feel like those things could be misrepresentative of my chances because of ORM, and also because I feel like I frequently see people with better stats applying to schools that have lower stats and frequently getting rejected (more than I would think).

Your stats are very good - 97-98th percentile MCAT and solid GPA with an upward trend. You're also well-rounded; not a whole lot of martial artists with extensive research experience. You have absolutely nothing to worry about when it comes to getting into a top school.

-Bill R.

seriously if you apply broadly i dont think youll have any issues

maybe youll get rejected from some of the lower schools (probably because they know youd reject them anyways) most likely youll get rejected from some of the top schools

but if your list is big and broad enough with your stats and everything, there shouldnt be a problem, even being asian

according to sector9's charts with your stats you have a 85% chance of getting in

Just apply to enough schools (including a large sampling of the top tiers and your state schools) and put effort into your secondaries and you'll be totally fine.