3rd time applicant..running out of hope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mikethedentist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...I just retook my DAT for the 3rd time yesterday. 3rd time applying looking for some input. Since my very first time applying I have retaken the DAT, took a 9 month masters program, and retook the DAT again. I have applied to about 15 schools this cycle. I am running out of hope so looking for some insight (good or bad). Below are my stats

3.3 oGPA
3.0 sGPA
20AA/20TS/25PAT

Members don't see this ad.

also worth noting I have a lot of experience, both volunteer and work as a dental assistant

Members don't see this ad :)
what is your masters GPA, and have you completed the program?
the program is completed. gpa not the greatest. unfortunately i had a family issue during my first semester which kinda ruined it for me. Upwards trend in gpa for the second and third term.

the program is completed. gpa not the greatest. unfortunately i had a family issue during my first semester which kinda ruined it for me. Upwards trend in gpa for the second and third term.
that doesn't tell us anything, what is the GPA?

Reactions: 2 users
applied to touro, indiana, midwestern, lecom, meharry, atsu, western, louisville, marquette to name the ones off the top of my head

hard to help you without knowing the full number and list

What about nyu, bu, tufts, or howard?
isn’t Nyu tough to get into? and i was going to apply to howard but was told they only accept african americans. Was previously rejected in previous cycle to BU

isn’t Nyu tough to get into? and i was going to apply to howard but was told they only accept african americans. Was previously rejected in previous cycle to BU

I thought NYU was the easiest to get into. Perhaps things have changed, but I remember a time where NYU gave acceptances without interviews and where BU came to your area for an interview.

Edit: I remember the BU regional interview was so chill. We were at a hotel lounge or something and it was like having a discussion with one of the bros.

Members don't see this ad :)
What was your GPA for the last two semesters? You said you had an upward trend but it needs to be a significant hike if it's going to offset a low GPA. Also, what is your BCP GPA? It is the most important one.

Life has a funny way of working out. Perhaps it is telling you something. Time is marching on, as it surley will. Although each application year is different, it is time to have a firm alternative plan if the dental school thing does not happen. Diversity, the buzzword of the 21st century, has many meanings. Perhaps it means not to have all your eggs in one basket for you. Just my $0.02 and does not mean you have to listen.

Reactions: 5 users
I feel like you have to be a lot more specific if you want more insight.
Please give the following
Undergrad GPA-
Masters GPA-
DAT score (what was your score the first time?)-
Schools-
Did you get any interviews the first two times you applied?

This is the minimum amount of info we need to actually give you feedback.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you received any interviews in the past? Holistically, it seems unlikely you won't be given a chance to interview somewhere, as long as you pick the right schools. I have slightly worse stats (without the masters) and received a couple interviews. Your masters GPA is probably the red flag.

It is not impossible, but you have to play your card right. Obviously your academic suck, and I don’t like the family issue excuse ( they might ask so why your undergrad’s grade low as well? And 3rd DAT) your 5yrs record indicate that you’re not strong in academic. be honest and Give a mature answer during interview or in the PS.

I would suggest pick the school that focus more on other aspect like maturity, volunteer, life-experience, if you African-A then apply to those that accept them, etc.
either way, it will be a hard road for you to walk. But i love dentistry and I truly believe if you passionate about something, you’ll find a way to make it work. Best of luck!

What exactly does this mean? There is no place for this line of thought. Not sure you belong giving advice to anyone.
I think he meant if OP is African American, he should apply to Howard and Meharry. They accept a majority of African American in their class, which he is not wrong at all.

Hey guys...I just retook my DAT for the 3rd time yesterday. 3rd time applying looking for some input. Since my very first time applying I have retaken the DAT, took a 9 month masters program, and retook the DAT again. I have applied to about 15 schools this cycle. I am running out of hope so looking for some insight (good or bad). Below are my stats

3.3 oGPA
3.0 sGPA
20AA/20TS/25PAT
The worst thing to do is to ask advice from people who don't know what they are talking about. I would have asked the schools who rejected you for feedback and then worked on those attributes. Keep in mind, a lot of the acceptances happen with LUCK. There are MANY, MANY qualified candidates who are rejected annually because there are simply not enough seats.

3.3 oGPA
3.0 sGPA
20AA/20TS/25PAT

Looks like you have improved so far. What's your Masters GPA?

I believe that with your DAT score and the masters, you should receive a few interviews. There's hope! Don't give up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew it would come up the second i posted but didn’t catch it in time. My apologies, should have edited it before posting. I meant to put that apply to a place accept MAJORITY of African-American if OP is one like Howard and Meharry, so he have a better change.
Also. Same thing for hispanic and Asian, there are places that accept A LOT of us more than other ( according to the ADEA Guide book.

I knew it would come up the second i posted but didn’t catch it in time. My apologies, should have edited it before posting. I meant to put that apply to a place accept MAJORITY of African-American if OP is one like Howard and Meharry, so he have a better change.
Also. Same thing for hispanic and Asian, there are places that accept A LOT of us more than other ( according to the ADEA Guide book.

It has nothing to with editing, it clearly shows your mindset & your thoughts..

but aren't you already a dentist? your username is Mikethedentist...so confused.

Anyways if you're weak academically, be honest with yourself. Do you think you can handle academics in dental school? The tuition rate is HIGH and with the HIGH debt people come out with. Is it really worth the 500k+ and time? Why are you going to dentistry?

These are issues and questions you have to ask yourself before investing more time, energy and money into something that might just result in empty hopes and disappointment.

It has nothing to with editing, it clearly shows your mindset & your thoughts..

Oh knock it off. It’s foolish to believe that every applicant has an equal chance of getting accepted to any school. It’s well-known that Howard, for example, predominantly accepts minority applicants, and that’s PERFECTLY OKAY. It’s literally the same concept as Texas schools accepting mostly in-state residents. Applying for dental school requires strategy, applicants need to apply to schools where they stand a decent chance of getting accepted.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh knock it off. It’s foolish to believe that every applicant has an equal chance of getting accepted to any school. It’s well-known that Howard, for example, predominantly accepts minority applicants, and that’s PERFECTLY OKAY. It’s literally the same concept as Texas schools accepting mostly in-state residents. Applying for dental school requires strategy, applicants need to apply to schools where they stand a decent chance of getting accepted.

I am a minority so of course I know the discrepancy. Out of the 64 dental schools the MAJORITY of them have only 3-4 black dental students per class.

Literally only two of them are HBCU’s..

I am not foolish. I was just pointing out what they said was wrongly put.

3.3 oGPA
3.0 sGPA
20AA/20TS/25PAT

You need to call all of the dental schools you’ve interviewed with in the past and ask them what you need to do differently so they see your application more favorable. I applied to OU, interviewed, was waitlisted and then rejected. After the rejection I called and the dean told me I needed to have TMOM volunteer experience. I got TMOM experience before my next application and they accepted me the second time around.

Make sure you talk and get this advice from people who will remember your name that sit on the admissions committee. Constantly email them and remind them that you’re doing what was asked and they’ll remember you!