3rd Time Reapplicant - Texas Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JGGoobers

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

I am going to be a 3rd time reapplicant this year for the 2016 Entry Cycle and I wanted some advice on how to continue to improve my application. Below is a list of all my credentials and a brief history of how I fared in previous application cycles.

Ethnicity: Asian
GPA/cGPA(without +/-)/sGPA: 3.54/3.57/3.50
MCAT (B/P/V/Essay): 10/12/10/R - taken once in 2012 (this will be the last year I can apply with this score)

Work Experiences:
(11/13 to 02/14): Full-time work as a medical assistant at the Capitol Pain Institute
(05/14 to Present): Part-time work as a teacher at Kumon Learning Center
(06/14 to Present): Part-time work as a SAT instructor with Catalyst Prep

Clinical Experiences:
100 hours of volunteering experience with University Medical Center Brackenridge (On-going)
30 hours of volunteering experience with Christus St. John's Hospital
20 hours of shadowing experience with a cytopathologist in Christus St. John's Hospital
120 hours of shadowing within the Seton Network (University Medical Center Brackenridge, Dell's Children's Medical Center; On-going)
500 hours of full-time work as a medical assistant at the Capitol Pain Institute (received strong recommendation letter from supervising physician)

Research Experiences:
Over a year's experience as an undergraduate research assistant at UT (~400 cumulative hours, no publications)
Academic Research Project in ALS as an undergraduate at UT (~100 cumulative hours, no publications)
Research Assistant at Dell's Children's Medical Center (Epilepsy Unit, currently working on 2 separate projects; 1 pending publication; ~200 hours; on-going)

Other Experiences:
Voice Performance (4 years professional training, various performances; 1 award from competition)
A Cappella Group (2 years; 1 award from competition)
Small-Group and Worship Leader of UT Campus Ministry (~2000 hours over 4 years)
Austin Stone Missional Community Leader (~600 hours; participated in various city-improvement and outreach volunteer projects; on-going)
High School and Middle School Assistant Basketball Coach (~100 hours; on-going)

Letters of Recommendation:
Strong letters of recommendation from 2 physicians (1 being the supervising physician of my medical assistant position, another one being a physician I had mentored under), 2 professors (strong academic performance in their classes and a strong personal relationship), 1 voice coach.

Red Flags:
No behavioral flags and no academic probation.
3 C's and poor Sophomore performance (2 in O-Chem, 1 in Sociology; attributable to a sudden loss of drive and doubt as to my personal future in medicine as a profession)
Not a U.S. Citizen, applied as a Permanent Resident

Past Application History:
2014 Entry Class:
I submitted the TMDSAS application somewhat late in June and secondaries submitted in July. The personal statement I wrote focused on relating my passion for singing to my passion for medicine.
List of Schools: (No D.O. Schools)
UTSW, UTMB, UTHouston, UTHSCSA, A&M HSC, Texas Tech PLFSOM, Texas Tech HSC, Baylor, Eastern Virginia MS, Albany Medical School
No Interviews

2015 Entry Class:
I believed that my main reason for failing the first time around was because of a lack of clinical experience and because I submitted my application late. During the gap year, I gained much clinical experience working as a medical experience and shadowing within the Seton Network of hospitals. In addition to the clinical experience I gained, I took up a volunteer coaching position and continued to serve as a missional leader. This cycle around, I submitted my TMDSAS application in late May (was waiting on letters of recommendation) and finished all my secondaries by mid to late June. All applications were submitted by early August for AMCAS. My personal statement this time around focused on how my experience at the Capitol Pain Institute and as an observer with the Seton Network really helped to grow my desire to pursue a career in medicine and how the two sides served to provide a more complete look at the medical profession (behind the scenes at the clinic, sitting in on patient visits at the clinic, and seeing a wide variety of operations). I wrote a unique experiences essay regarding my coaching experience with KIPP high school and KIPP middle school.
List of Schools (No D.O. Schools)
UTSW, UTMB, UTHouston, UTHSCSA, A&M HSC, Texas Tech PLFSOM, Texas Tech HSC, Baylor, Easter Virginia MS, Albany Medical School, UC Davis, LSU SOM, FSU SOM, USC SOM, Chicago Loyola Stritch, Tulane University SOM, University of Alabama SOM, University of Arkansas SOM, UC Davis SOM
No Interviews

Entering into the 2016 application cycle, I plan to have at least 1 publication in July or August accepted, I will continue shadowing and volunteering (hopefully reaching around 200 hours by the time the application rolls around), I'll have accumulated around 300-400 research hours as a part of the Epilepsy Unit at Dell's Children's Medical Center. I'll also be applying this time around as a U.S. Citizen and not a Permanent Resident. I'm also applying to a much wider range of schools and D.O. schools as well. I think the most frustrating aspect of this whole process is the fact that I've been absolutely shut out from getting any interviews at all.

I would appreciate if anyone could help address the following questions:
1. What schools should I look into or apply to this time around? (Both M.D. and D.O.)
2. For this next year, should I pursue a SMP? I'm looking at the University of North Texas Masters of Medical Sciences year long program. I'm not sure whether I really need one and I don't want to pursue one if it's not an absolute necessity (mainly due to finances).
3. Any general direction as to how to continue to improve my application and raise my chances of even getting an interview. I'm currently looking into full-time research positions or working as a medical scribe somewhere in Texas.

Thanks for your time! I really appreciate any help I can get from this!

Members don't see this ad.

I was in the same boat as you this last cycle. It was my 3rd attempt with no interviews the previous 2 cycles. I think that your stats are decent (good MCAT) and you have improved in your clinical experience. I would highly recommend the med sci program Im currently in it and even though it is tough. I believe its what made the difference in me getting an acceptance. When I updated with my grades in the fall I received an interview at TTELP within a couple weeks and I ended up matching there. I only received interviews at TCOM and TTELP but I was matched at my top choice. I also applied to OOS DO schools as back up which I suggest that you do as well, and I received several interviews. Also TCOM is an awesome school and make sure you apply to it.

my states are 3.7 sgpa, 3.8 cgpa 29 MCAT med sci GPA ~3.6
I didnt have strong clinical experience
I had research with no publications.
leadership, volunteering etc.

Med sci is becoming very well known in texas and is no longer just for ppl who are looking for GPA repair. The ppl with good stats did very well come match day and they will be more prepared then any premed coming out of undergrad. Its an intense program but its worth it.

Awesome, thanks for the advice, it really helped. Just wondering, but what is TTELP, I can't seem to find any information on it? Did you mean to put Texas Tech Paul L. Foster or Texas Tech HSC?

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah I meant Texas Tech El Paso, and if you have any questions about med sci then PM me.

Most schools require 2 letters from sci prof and 1 from non sci. I don't see mention of that in your post but I assume your schools had different requirements? Look into Do schools in your area and abroad. Your gpa numbers fall a shy below md averages but the mcat is pretty acceptable. Granted, I am not sure if your lack of citizenship plays a role in this despite being a resident. Hope you have better luck this cycle.

Most schools require 2 letters from sci prof and 1 from non sci. I don't see mention of that in your post but I assume your schools had different requirements? Look into Do schools in your area and abroad. Your gpa numbers fall a shy below md averages but the mcat is pretty acceptable. Granted, I am not sure if your lack of citizenship plays a role in this despite being a resident. Hope you have better luck this cycle.
I would have to agree that OP's lack of citizenship may play a role in this. Texas schools look for the people who are going to dedicate their lives to practicing medicine and bettering the state. Although I could completely be wrong, you may have lived in Texas for 15 years.

Other than that, you have an excellent MCAT score. When have you been applying? If you have been applying super early, than the problem in your app is most likely your LOR or PS/essays since you aren't even getting interviews. If you've been applying late, then apply May 1st this time around.

Surprised that you had no interview at all.
Maybe you can add a few DO schools this time?
Your MCAT is getting too old. You have to retake to apply.

Your citizenship might have been the major issue, your stats look good enough to get accepted.

I'd reach out to some admissions departments and see if they will do a file review for you. I know Texas A&M does this, others might as well.

Best of luck to you.

Very unlikely that being a perm res is an issue these days.

It's time to bite the bullet & apply DO as well. You're an ORM w/ below competitive stats for MD. Not getting an interview as an in-stater at one of the more in-state friendly places and applying 3x w/ even great stats == major handicap are things to consider.

Maybe re-do the essay? Medicine == music sounds like a pitfall (naive?).

Last edited:
Very unlikely that being a perm res is an issue these days.

It's time to bite the bullet & apply DO as well. You're an ORM w/ below competitive stats for MD. Not getting an interview as an in-stater at one of the more in-state friendly places and applying 3x w/ even great stats == major handicap are things to consider.

Maybe re-do the essay? Medicine == music sounds like a pitfall (naive?).
A 3.57 and a 32 is not below competitive for TX MD.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah... The Texas thing aside, I'm a little confused by the zero interviews thing too. Consider applying outside of Texas? Also, your post wasn't horribly written, so I don't wanna pin it on a disaster statement... So I'm frankly not sure what gives.

I'm a permanent resident too :(
My GPA is higher but my MCAT is lower than yours...

This is worrying.

Have you called the schools you applied to? IT doesn't surprise me at all the OP got no OOS love(many schools don't even consider TX residents since they know its such a long shot theyd actually leave the state for med school) but to go 2 cycles with stats that are competitive and a thorough list of EC's in such a friendly state for medical school mean something is off. The citizen thing might be an issue but by and large I don't know if that's really it. The best advice by far is to call these schools specficially that are rejecting you for input(they might be more likely to give it being a state school for an IS). Because really how is your app any different than last cycle(no the publication isn't going to really change a whole lot)? Something seems off here and there might be those who know alot more than me who can answer what exactly it is but not getting a single II from all the TX schools through 2 application cycles as a 3.55/32 applicant is somewhat of a surprise.

You also really need DO schools. You can't go through 3 application cycles and not have at least thoroughly tried the DO route where your stats are well above average.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you sure a 2012 MCAT will still be valid at all schools?

I think a lot of Texas schools do not accept internationals/ non-US citizens, may be this is why they rejected you. Just a thought.

I am sorry buddy. People are right where Texas do not accept non-US citizens. I know this for a fact because my friend, he is a permanent resident but not a U.S. citizen. The only school he was able to apply to was TCOM, the DO school in Texas. His GPA is a 3.8 and MCAT was a 32.

I am sorry buddy. People are right where Texas do not accept non-US citizens. I know this for a fact because my friend, he is a permanent resident but not a U.S. citizen. The only school he was able to apply to was TCOM, the DO school in Texas. His GPA is a 3.8 and MCAT was a 32.

Are you serious? :O
Did your friend get any interviews?

Don't listen to anyone that tells you there's any difference applying as a permanent resident vs US citizen. Focus on applying to the rest of the United States if Texas is not working out for you. I have several friends in FL and WA who are permanent residents and got into medical school no questions asked. It is not constitutional to deny an applicant a benefit that is reserved for US citizens unless it expressly relates to voting and the civic process. Having legal status in the United States in the form of permanent residency should afford you all the rights and privileges of an education as defined by several state and Federal laws.

In the middle of an overnight ER shift and wanted to take some time to update my application and thank everyone for the advice.

I reapplied this year taking the 2015 cycle off, a number of changes have come into play.

I retook my MCAT, scoring a 514. I am now published after having performed research at a major medical center last year. I have continued to volunteer with international populations through my local church. I have also been working as a ER scribe for the past year, I have been recognized for my scribing and am now training new hires for positions at different ERs in the city. My LORs have greatly improved, I received one from the Medical Director of my hospital, a D.O. physician that I worked with and was rather close with, and my P.I. with whom I got published. I am now also a U.S. Citizen.

Going into my 3rd cycle, I applied broadly (34 schools in total) to both D.O. and M.D. programs, using my LizzyM as a guide and making sure my MD schools were OOS friendly. However, I made the mistake of not submitting my applications early enough, mainly due to strange work hours and an increased work load with multiple new hires and people leaving the scribing program over the summer.

Texas Secondaries submitted in mid-late August.
OOS MD Secondaries submitted in mid September - mid October.

DO Secondaries are still a work in progress.

I currently have 0 IIs, a repeat of my previous 2 application cycles, and I'm worried that I may become a 4th time reapplicant for my state MD schools, possible 2nd time reapplicant for D.O. schools next year.

Without interviews, I have very little to work with in terms of how to improve my application (adcoms can be very vague about this if you're not interviewed), so I wanted to get a headstart on ways I can still improve.

I am already planning to apply for a program with my scribing company that will allow me to establish scribing programs in ERs across the nation as an ambassador/representative of the company. I also have plans to expand my volunteering to incorporate my other passions (teaching/sports) while serving the community. I already plan to apply early next cycle. Any additional advice is very welcome!

My DO school list so far is:

AZCOM
ATSU-COM
PCOM - Georgia
PCOM - Philly
KSU COM
MSU COM
Touro - NY
Touro - CA
RVU COM - CO
RVU COM - UT
UIW COM
LECOM - Bradenton
LECOM - Erie
Rowan SOM
OSU COM

Also, I looked at my processed application for AACOMAS and AMCAS and noticed discrepancies between the GPAs listed for the different applications:

My overall GPA remained relatively similar at a 3.54, but my science GPA experienced some flux, 3.44 for AMCAS and 3.37 for AACOMAS.. should I be concerned about this?
I'm guessing that the computer science classes I took during undergrad did not get factored into my overall science GPA when they calculated it..

I'm in midst of finishing up my secondaries for D.O. schools, already have a handful done, still working on a few programs, will be complete hopefully mid-November

If you haven't already submitted the secondary for MSUCOM, I recommend taking it off your list. The OOS tuition is killer (80K), they have a strong bias for IS residents, its secondary is $100, and they state right on their website that serious applicants should have applied by Sept. 1 (I believe). I would also remove Rowan and OSU-COM from your secondary list because of in state/regional bias. Consider adding some newer schools like ACOM and BCOM, just to be safe.
My DO school list so far is:

AZCOM
ATSU-COM
PCOM - Georgia
PCOM - Philly
KSU COM
MSU COM
Touro - NY
Touro - CA
RVU COM - CO
RVU COM - UT
UIW COM
LECOM - Bradenton
LECOM - Erie
Rowan SOM
OSU COM

Also, I looked at my processed application for AACOMAS and AMCAS and noticed discrepancies between the GPAs listed for the different applications:

My overall GPA remained relatively similar at a 3.54, but my science GPA experienced some flux, 3.44 for AMCAS and 3.37 for AACOMAS.. should I be concerned about this?
I'm guessing that the computer science classes I took during undergrad did not get factored into my overall science GPA when they calculated it..

I'm in midst of finishing up my secondaries for D.O. schools, already have a handful done, still working on a few programs, will be complete hopefully mid-November

Everyone says 3rd time's a charm, and so far that's proven true! I'd like to thank everyone who helped me out and provide a brief retelling of the past few months!

This cycle, on my 3rd attempt, I received 5 interviews (trending up from 0 the past 2 cycles). I took a gap year between my second cycle and my third cycle to address what I perceived to be my shortcomings:

1. Research - got involved in pedatric epilepsy research, resulting in over 900 hours of research along with a publication over the course of 1.5 years
2. Clinical Experience - started working as a ER scribe; was recognized by my medical director and awarded a "Scribe of the Quarter" award; was also promoted to leadership as a trainer scribe
3. MCAT - improved my score (88%tile to 92%tile); this was 3 years out of college and my first take of the new 2015 MCAT - I feel like this was crucial in proving that my ability to learn had not declined over time
4. Citizenship - became a U.S. citizen from a P.R.

With these major changes, I stepped up to bat again: I had 5 interviews with the first of my II coming at the tail end of October (on the last day really), another in mid-late November, and finally 3 more to cap things off at the beginning of December.

Today, I received my first acceptance to my #2 choice school, and I'm finally on the road to becoming an M.D.

Reactions: 9 users
Everyone says 3rd time's a charm, and so far that's proven true! I'd like to thank everyone who helped me out and provide a brief retelling of the past few months!

This cycle, on my 3rd attempt, I received 5 interviews (trending up from 0 the past 2 cycles). I took a gap year between my second cycle and my third cycle to address what I perceived to be my shortcomings:

1. Research - got involved in pedatric epilepsy research, resulting in over 900 hours of research along with a publication over the course of 1.5 years
2. Clinical Experience - started working as a ER scribe; was recognized by my medical director and awarded a "Scribe of the Quarter" award; was also promoted to leadership as a trainer scribe
3. MCAT - improved my score (88%tile to 92%tile); this was 3 years out of college and my first take of the new 2015 MCAT - I feel like this was crucial in proving that my ability to learn had not declined over time
4. Citizenship - became a U.S. citizen from a P.R.

With these major changes, I stepped up to bat again: I had 5 interviews with the first of my II coming at the tail end of October (on the last day really), another in mid-late November, and finally 3 more to cap things off at the beginning of December.

Today, I received my first acceptance to my #2 choice school, and I'm finally on the road to becoming an M.D.
Congrats! Where did you get accepted? Another Texas resident here!