4.0, 36, Good ECs, School list + Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

linusp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well, I agree with your self-assessment in identifying your strengths and weaknesses (though your strengths should be more than enough to outweigh your imperfections).

A 9 on verbal, though lower than your other sub-scores, is not a bad score (oh, and I call 'hacks' on the bio section... were you provided an answer key?). As far as your high school volunteering hours, I say put them down (besides, the chores that you did as a high schooler probably did not change once you were a college volunteer).

Overall, you have a great GPA/MCAT, solid ECs, and will be competitive in all of the schools listed (though I still suggest throwing some safeties into the mix).

I know many schools require the GRE for the MD/PhD track, have you starting preparing for that?

1) This coming summer in another major biotech company. (How can I list this on my current app? I definitely want to, will be starting at the end of May. Again, Oncology work.)

2) Clinical
Hospital Volunteering - ~ 100 Hours in college (but did ~300 hours at the same place in HS. I figure the HS hours don't count for much, but I do want to mention it *somewhere* because it got me interested in med in the first place! Can I do this?)

3) I'd appreciate advice on where I stand, and what schools I should add, remove. Thanks! The ones I've starred have a bottom 10% VR higher than mine.
1) Employment-Nonmilitary? It's fine to list so long as you've begun the work. Date span will be starting date to present.

2) It's always been fine to include HS activites if the activity continued into the college years. AMCAS actually doesn't forbid inclusion of HS activities anymore, (though we previously suggested sneaking mention of them into the PS).

3) I think all these schools are fine to have on your list, including the four reaches. You might want to check each one for grading system, curriculum style, cost of living, weather, research availability if MD-only, besides the mission statement to ensure they are a fit for you. CWRU escapes me.

Members don't see this ad :)
aSagacious - Thanks for the input. I've yet to look into the GRE for MD/PhD, but I was under the impression that science MD/PhDs generally don't require the GRE. I'll definitely look into it.

Catalystik - As always, thank you for taking time to comment and give suggestions. I'm curious, though, as to why I shouldn't be listing my biotech experiences under research (its all research associate level work). Is there any reason to this? Both experiences are research internships. (By CWRU I meant Case Western, sorry!)

Also, do I have enough "safties"?
(Rochester, Georgetown, Tufts, Boston)

Do you think I have a reasonable shot at a top 20? (Hopefully a UC. UCSF is my top choice!) Thank you again for all your help. I'm open to all suggestions.

Catalystik - As always, thank you for taking time to comment and give suggestions.

1) I'm curious, though, as to why I shouldn't be listing my biotech experiences under research (its all research associate level work). Is there any reason to this? Both experiences are research internships. (By CWRU I meant Case Western, sorry!)

2) Also, do I have enough "safties"?
(Rochester, Georgetown, Tufts, Boston)

3) Do you think I have a reasonable shot at a top 20? (Hopefully a UC. UCSF is my top choice!)
1) I made some assumptions in answering this, with little info to go by. As someone just starting in a lab by the time you submit, I doubt you'll have your own project and presume you'd be helping someone else out with an established project, with little creative input (more of a research tech position). I think this might be an opportunity to "balance" your application by using another category. Listing it under Research is equally valid and which you choose is up to you. There is no wrong choice.

2) I think you're fine.

3) Will depend on the tone of your PS, the substantive quality of your research, what you accomplished in leadership positions, strength of LORs, and how well you do in interviews. But, yes, from what is known, I think you have a very good chance at getting into a top school.

Last edited:
Catalystik -

Awesome, I appreciate the encouraging words. I'm going to work hard and make sure I have everything else in order. Thank you very much!

Bumped to ask a question:

I've read quite a few threads regarding social fraternities here on SDN, and I've heard its a mixed bag. Given that I've still done well enough in school, is it okay to list because I've held a leadership position (philanthropy chair) and won an award from nationals? The chapter also won a major award from the university and has a great relationship with them, so we're not particularly rambunctious. (Should I mention this in the description?)

It's been a pretty large part of my college experience, perhaps what initially prevented me from transferring out of the school, and I feel I've learned some things from it that I couldn't from anywhere else, for example: dealing with people of diverse backgrounds and interests, quickly forming connections with people based on varying interests, as well as handling individuals who are in your face and refusing to cooperate (such as working security).

I would include it. The leadership looks good, and like you said, it was a significant part of your college experience.

I think adcoms realize that greeks vary from frat to frat and chapter to chapter... so I think it would be awkward to try and explain how yours wasn't rambunctious. Besides, your stats speak for themselves - even if some in your chapter were rambunctious, you clearly weren't one of them..... (at least not too often).

Hey LinusP,

I got a very similar score on the MCAT, 35R (13PS, 9VR, 13BS). I beat myself up for months because of my low Verbal score. It's very reassuring to know that someone who also received a 9 has great chances at top 20 schools. I also am involved in Greek life and I fully intend on sharing my experiences in my application. I have put in countless hours with leadership positions and philanthropy events. Greek membership has been a significant part of my life and I hope AdComms will regard it as a worthwhile activity. Sorry I didn't really answer your questions, but I just wanted to share my thoughts. Thanks for posting and best of luck in the future.

I've read quite a few threads regarding social fraternities here on SDN, and I've heard its a mixed bag. Given that I've still done well enough in school, is it okay to list because I've held a leadership position (philanthropy chair) and won an award from nationals? The chapter also won a major award from the university and has a great relationship with them, so we're not particularly rambunctious. (Should I mention this in the description?)
Yes, list it. Stick to the positives, like the philanthropic work, leadership, and award.

It's been a pretty large part of my college experience, perhaps what initially prevented me from transferring out of the school, and I feel I've learned some things from it that I couldn't from anywhere else, for example: dealing with people of diverse backgrounds and interests, quickly forming connections with people based on varying interests, as well as handling individuals who are in your face and refusing to cooperate (such as working security).
Include all this. They are more positives.

Catalystik -

1. Thanks for the advice about the fraternity involvement. Are these things I would/could be describing in the description of the activity on the primary, or something I should be elaborating on during secondary essays? (Such as the dealing with confrontational people, etc)

2. I had one more question, I have a LOR from a Public Health (Epidemiology) course I took which I'm sure is strong. I've read on these forums that Public Health is considered a soft-science and thus cannot be used as a science letter. This actually would be better for me, since I will have two other science letters. Can I confidently use this as a non-science letter (since its not BCMP?)

3. Also, I've read that shadowing letters from MD are pretty much useless. I was originally planning on having 6 letters with my app (2 Sci, 1 Non-Sci, 1 from Biotech supervisor, 1 from hosp volunteer supervisor, and 1 from the doc I shadowed), but considering that some schools limit it to 5 letters, should I just stick with all but the shadowing letter? I developed a good relationship with the doctor so I think he can speak to my personality and demeanor around patients, but I suppose I really didn't do anything for him.

Thank you!

Last edited:
1. I'd describe them in the Experiences section in general. If there is a specific situation pertinent to a Secondary essay topic, by all means, elaborate on it there.

2. It might depend on the title and focus of the course taught (I'd consider Epidemiological Statistics as math, eg) and his/her academic credentials that will be under the signature. In other words, the answer depends.

3. Yes, hold the MD letter in reserve as the least likely to help you.

1. I'd describe them in the Experiences section in general. If there is a specific situation pertinent to a Secondary essay topic, by all means, elaborate on it there.

2. It might depend on the title and focus of the course taught (I'd consider Epidemiological Statistics as math, eg) and his/her academic credentials that will be under the signature. In other words, the answer depends.

3. Yes, hold the MD letter in reserve as the least likely to help you.

Awesome, thanks. In terms of the course, it was an intro to epidemiology and human disease, and did have some statistics, but it was not particularly rigorous in that aspect. The prof does have a doctorate in public health, but not in math/basic sci.

Sounds good, I'll definitely get on that soon!

Sorry for the continual bumps, but I had a few quick questions and I didn't want to start a new thread.

So I mentioned in my original post that I will be presenting at an undergrad conference, and now I will be presenting at another for a total of two. Granted, these are not hotshot conferences that I'm sure some SDNers are going to, but I hope they're worth something.

My questions are:

1. Since I will be presenting essentially the same material, would it be better to list them under 1 activities slot, or can I confidently list each conference separately? The only difference between the two will be a few weeks worth of data, but the topic is the same.

2. Are such undergraduate conferences worth much? I'm not expecting them to be as powerful as say one that mostly grad/postdocs/profs speak at, but I do feel very confident about what I've been working on and the rigorous science behind it.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Last edited:
1. Since I will be presenting essentially the same material, would it be better to list them under 1 activities slot, or can I confidently list each conference separately? The only difference between the two will be a few weeks worth of data, but the topic is the same.
I'm in the same boat. I chose to include the research, conferences, and pubs all in one activity (since I was getting tight on space). However, there are discreet 'activity description categories' for presentations/conferences, research, pubs, etc so if you need to fill up a couple more of your 15 slots, by all means list them separately :)

2. Are such undergraduate conferences worth much? I'm not expecting them to be as powerful as say one that mostly grad/postdocs/profs speak at, but I do feel very confident about what I've been working on and the rigorous science behind it.
From what I've been told (by my PI and colleagues), you are generally correct. In any case, presenting at on-campus conferences are still much better than no presentations at all, right? If nothing else, they will demonstrate that your research was legitimate, and you were not simply a lab tech cleaning glassware.

I'm in the same boat. I chose to include the research, conferences, and pubs all in one activity (since I was getting tight on space). However, there are discreet 'activity description categories' for presentations/conferences, research, pubs, etc so if you need to fill up a couple more of your 15 slots, by all means list them separately :)

From what I've been told (by my PI and colleagues), you are generally correct. In any case, presenting at on-campus conferences are still much better than no presentations at all, right? If nothing else, they will demonstrate that your research was legitimate, and you were not simply a lab tech cleaning glassware.

Thanks for the advice. For clarification, one conference is national, while the other is regional. They are both at the undergraduate level, but not just for students at one university.

Thanks for the advice. For clarification, one conference is national, while the other is regional. They are both at the undergraduate level, but not just for students at one university.

Oh, gotcha. Well, that gives them a little boost up the prestige ladder then :)

For clarification, one conference is national, while the other is regional. They are both at the undergraduate level, but not just for students at one university.
Regional and national conference presentations/posters are definitely space-worthy. Since they are so similar, I think it's a good idea to group them, listing it initially under the more prestigious national conference and then mentioning the second in the narrative (giving 2nd conference name, with dates and location). You can refer back to the more detailed description you wrote under a Research category so as not to be overly repetitive in the information you provide.