MD 4.0 GPA, 33 MCAT,

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sidewalks

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, here's what I've got to work with:

cGPA - 4.0 Bio Major
MCAT: 33
100 shadow hours
2 years of research, will be getting published soon
Various clubs and leadership positions at school

School list:
UIC
Northwestern
UChicago
Mayo
University of Washington

A lot of these are probably out of reach, but I'd just like to test the waters with you guys first.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

No volunteer work? Get off campus and out of your comfort zone.

I suggest the following:
Georgetown
IU
U Toledo
Colorado
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
BU
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Emory
USC
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Creighton
Any new MD school, especially Hofstra
Any DO program
Your state school(s)...but skip SIU if you're not from southern ILL.

Hi all, here's what I've got to work with:

cGPA - 4.0 Bio Major
MCAT: 33
100 shadow hours
2 years of research, will be getting published soon
Various clubs and leadership positions at school

School list:
UIC
Northwestern
UChicago
Mayo
University of Washington

A lot of these are probably out of reach, but I'd just like to test the waters with you guys first.

Thanks!

UW accepts only 0.5% of applicants not from the WWAMI region (Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, Idaho). Are you and Illinois resident? Check out all of the schools in your state, public and not.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No volunteer work? Get off campus and out of your comfort zone.

I suggest the following:
Georgetown
IU
U Toledo
Colorado
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
BU
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Emory
USC
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Creighton
Any new MD school, especially Hofstra
Any DO program
Your state school(s)...but skip SIU if you're not from southern ILL.

I do volunteer a little, but it's not as significant as I'd like it to be to say the least. I'll look into those colleges, thanks for the input!

UW accepts only 0.5% of applicants not from the WWAMI region (Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, Idaho). Are you and Illinois resident? Check out all of the schools in your state, public and not.

I didn't know that! I am from Illinois; I will look into more local schools then. Are all/most med schools like this?

I do volunteer a little, but it's not as significant as I'd like it to be to say the least. I'll look into those colleges, thanks for the input!

I didn't know that! I am from Illinois; I will look into more local schools then. Are all/most med schools like this?
I agree with @gyngyn. The MSAR will help you out a lot. But no, not all public schools are this bad. Some are, though, so be sure to look under the "Acceptance Information" tab in the MSAR (if I am remembering correctly). Make sure the public school you are considering interviews and matriculates a good number of out-of-staters. A good number of OOS matriculates might be 20%. I've also heard it said, as a rule of thumb, if you want to apply to an OOS public school, you should be at (preferably above) their median admit stats (under "Selection Factors" in the MSAR). So keep those two things in mind when checking out schools.

Start by researching @Goro's list, above.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I agree with @gyngyn. The MSAR will help you out a lot. But no, not all public schools are this bad. Some are, though, so be sure to look under the "Applicant Info" tab in the MSAR (if I am remembering correctly). Make sure the public school you are considering interviews and matriculates a good number of out-of-staters. A good number of OOS matriculates might be 20%. I've also heard it said, as a rule of thumb, if you want to apply to an OOS public school, you should be at (preferably above) their median admit stats (under "Selection Criteria" in the MSAR). So keep those two things in mind when checking out schools.

Start by researching @Goro's list, above.
I think you are referring to Acceptance Information on the last tab!

Reactions: 1 users
I think you are referring to Acceptance Information on the last tab!
Yes, thank you.

And also, it's "Selection Factors." Ah my poor memory. Sorry about that. I'll edit above.