MD 4.0 GPA, 36 MCAT, Chance me!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JMMTB

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at a school list for quite some time now and really need help on it. I feel like my academics are fine, but that there are other weaknesses in my application so any positive feedback would be greatly appreciated.
  • GPA 4.0 - science based major
  • MCAT 36 (11/11/14)
  • After freshman year spent two years in another state as a proselyting missionary for the LDS (mormon) church. In addition to sharing my beliefs I helped people quit smoking and drinking. I also had the opportunity to oversee other missionaries in their responsibilities for six months and helped new missionaries for around six months as well.
  • 6 months as co-leader organizing weekly activities for young adults ~30 hours
  • 11 months volunteering as a spanish interpreter at a local outpatient surgical center 140+ hours
  • 50 hours shadowing a pediatrician, and various surgeons
  • 15 hours with neurofeedback research, 45 hours drug addiction research (same lab)
  • ~150 hours (10 hrs/wk) cancer research (bench) over one semester which will continue until matriculation
  • 1 semester (130 hrs) as Physics Tutor (paid)
  • 2 semesters (75+ hrs) as Research assistant/student aide for History professor (paid)
  • Dean's list each semester; full tuition scholarship
  • Enjoy mountain biking; competed seriously in the past (HS - too far back in time?) but just casually now
  • Enjoy bouldering
  • worked at bike shop during 3 semesters of college + during summers.
I don't know if this is relevant information but I will be graduating in under 4 academic years.

School List:
  • Baylor
  • Vanderbilt
  • Mayo
  • UTSW
  • WASHU
  • Michigan - Ann Arbor
  • Houston
  • U of Washington
  • Albert Einstein
  • Ohio State
  • Wisconsin-Madison
I know that I have a couple of months to really improve my application before submitting, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

you texas resident? very good numbers, good ECs, should have good chance to get into any schools. Would still apply to a handful of safety schools.

Not a Texas resident, but I lived in Texas as well as the Midwest. What additional schools should I look at?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been looking at a school list for quite some time now and really need help on it. I feel like my academics are fine, but that there are other weaknesses in my application so any positive feedback would be greatly appreciated.
  • GPA 4.0 - science based major
  • MCAT 36 (11/11/14)
  • After freshman year spent two years in another state as a proselyting missionary for the LDS (mormon) church. In addition to sharing my beliefs I helped people quit smoking and drinking. I also had the opportunity to oversee other missionaries in their responsibilities for six months and helped new missionaries for around six months as well.
  • 6 months as co-leader organizing weekly activities for young adults ~30 hours
  • 11 months volunteering as a spanish interpreter at a local outpatient surgical center 140+ hours
  • 50 hours shadowing a pediatrician, and various surgeons
  • 15 hours with neurofeedback research, 45 hours drug addiction research (same lab)
  • ~150 hours (10 hrs/wk) cancer research (bench) over one semester which will continue until matriculation
  • 1 semester (130 hrs) as Physics Tutor (paid)
  • 2 semesters (75+ hrs) as Research assistant/student aide for History professor (paid)
  • Dean's list each semester; full tuition scholarship
  • Enjoy mountain biking; competed seriously in the past (HS - too far back in time?) but just casually now
  • Enjoy bouldering
  • worked at bike shop during 3 semesters of college + during summers.
I don't know if this is relevant information but I will be graduating in under 4 academic years.

School List:
  • Baylor
  • Vanderbilt
  • Mayo
  • UTSW
  • WASHU
  • Michigan - Ann Arbor
  • Houston
  • U of Washington
  • Albert Einstein
  • Ohio State
  • Wisconsin-Madison
I know that I have a couple of months to really improve my application before submitting, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Unless you have ties to Washington, remove U of Washington. They don't take folks without ties.

Their OOS percentage refers to students who live in states with no medical school, like Idaho.

Does the University of Utah have a mission to produce LDS physicians? If so, you may want to look into applying there.

Their OOS percentage refers to students who live in states with no medical school, like Idaho.

I guess that is where the confusion comes in because on MSAR it says that WA, WY, AK, MT and ID are all considered as In-state applicants, so I would think that there are a considerable number out of state.

I'm curious about this as their OOS percentage is nearly 50%.
Read their Admission website. THis is a school for 5 states in NW without med schools (idaho, Montana, etc). Don't waste your money on them.

I guess that is where the confusion comes in because on MSAR it says that WA, WY, AK, MT and ID are all considered as In-state applicants, so I would think that there are a considerable number out of state.
That's what SDN is for, to set folks straight!! Cheers.

Read their Admission website. THis is a school for 5 states in NW without med schools (idaho, Montana, etc). Don't waste your money on them.
I think a lot of their undergrads (who are "out of state") go to Med School at U of Wash. They would be out of state, but ties to school.

Yeah, I looked closer and noted that only 2% of the OOS applicants matriculate. Also in their mission statement they say twice how their focus is to serve the people of the NW region. Thanks for the clarification!