4.0 GPA but MCAT 11, 5, 11 English is second language

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minakosmas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I really need help and advice...
I was in Med School before in my home country, but for serious reasons I had to leave not just the school but the country and travel abroad...
Now, I got my premed degree from American College, Biology major and Chemistry minor with GPA 4.00 with honor
However, because English is my second language, in the AMCAS practice tests my scores are roughly 11, 5 , 11...
I have really difficulties with the speed reading so it ends up that I read only 4 passages out of 7 and scan the other 3 passages..
I have good volunteer, research and medical training & even practice experiences.
Please HELP me because I am really worry about applying for MD / DO and acceptance chances.
Are my chances to get into med school high or low????

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The VR5 will be lethal for MD school and a good number of DO schools.

Hello, I really need help and advice...
I was in Med School before in my home country, but for serious reasons I had to leave not just the school but the country and travel abroad...
Now, I got my premed degree from American College, Biology major and Chemistry minor with GPA 4.00 with honor
However, because English is my second language, in the AMCAS practice tests my scores are roughly 11, 5 , 11...
I have really difficulties with the speed reading so it ends up that I read only 4 passages out of 7 and scan the other 3 passages..
I have good volunteer, research and medical training & even practice experiences.
Please HELP me because I am really worry about applying for MD / DO and acceptance chances.
Are my chances to get into med school high or low????

Reactions: 1 user
Rodmichael82, the 11, 5, 11 gives total 27 .. what do you think minimum MCAT total is good with the GPA 4 to insure MD acceptance / competitive case?? Did you say DO because of the total (27) or the low verbal score? My actual MCAT is in Jan 15; so I really want to know what are the possible scenarios? thank you

You have a chance at DO schools.

Rodmichael82, the 11, 5, 11 gives total 27 .. what do you think minimum MCAT total is good with the GPA 4 to insure MD acceptance / competitive case?? Did you say DO because of the total (27) or the low verbal score? My actual MCAT is in Jan 15; so I really want to know what are the possible scenarios? thank you

The VR5 will be lethal for MD school and a good number of DO schools.
Statistics show that some MD schools accept mean MCAT total of 26; do you think even those ones will not tolerate MCAT 5 or 6 ? and what is the minimum you think should I get with the GPA 4.0? thanks a lot for advice

There are MD schools in your state where you have some chance at an interview.
Northeast Ohio, by any chance?
Are you a naturalized citizen?
By the time of interviews; I will be naturalized citizen... I will submit my citizenship application this coming April.

By the time of interviews; I will be naturalized citizen... I will submit my citizenship application this coming April.
NEOMed, Wright and Toledo all have a 10th% MCAT around your total.
Your verbal is well below the 10th% for all of them, though.
None of these schools accept international applicants so you might want to clarify their definition. If your paperwork is delayed and permanent resident status is not acceptable, it may be worth delaying until your citizenship is finalized.
I have seen applicants accepted with a verbal score this low, but it's quite uncommon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Statistics show that some MD schools accept mean MCAT total of 26; do you think even those ones will not tolerate MCAT 5 or 6 ? and what is the minimum you think should I get with the GPA 4.0? thanks a lot for advice

The bare minimum for a MD school on the VR section for your application to not be screened out by a computer would be an 8. Every single MD school and most DO schools will filter out and reject your application due to your 5 on the VR section. I think if English is your second language, some DO schools will give you a chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
English is my second language as well, and I was in your shoes before (my cGPA is not 4.0 but my sGPA is 3.99, so your English must be better than me). I did multiple AAMC practice tests and constantly scored below a 7 on verbal. My honest advice for you is, dedicate all of your time to improve your verbal. Your first priority right now is the MCAT, you can worry about the application once you have your MCAT. Now try everything you can to improve the verbal. As a fellow ESL student, I can give u these tips to improve the VR (I scored a 9 on the VR and I was happy with it - people have no idea how hard I work to get that 9)
a) READ READ READ wildly, from magazines, news, books, anything you can get your hands on (I like to start my morning with reading 2 news articles from Times, Nytimes on the internet. Sign up for some magazine and read them while you commute)
b) Do 4-5 full verbal passages everyday and make sure you go back and analyze your incorrect and correct answers) -

There are many helpful threads on improving VR score, and I followed those instructions so please search on SDN for those threads. I am happy with my VR score because it got me where I want to be. So don't give up, it's hard but it's definitely doable. Good luck.

Apply very broadly to DO schools and I am fairly certain you would have a good chance.

I don't think 5 VR would be a huge issue with DO schools, as long as you apply broadly. MD might be possible thanks to 4.0, but chances much more iffy.

I don't think 5 VR would be a huge issue with DO schools, as long as you apply broadly. MD might be possible thanks to 4.0, but chances much more iffy.

No MD school is going to want to mess with a 5 VR unless OP is mother/father Teresa.

No MD school is going to want to mess with a 5 VR unless OP is mother/father Teresa.
Sorry to say that you are "mean" in the way you say your opinion; kind of disappointing or mocking!! Thanks a lot for your opinion and advice; but the way you present it is really making me nervous: "OP is mother/father Teresa" :) :)

English is my second language as well, and I was in your shoes before (my cGPA is not 4.0 but my sGPA is 3.99, so your English must be better than me). I did multiple AAMC practice tests and constantly scored below a 7 on verbal. My honest advice for you is, dedicate all of your time to improve your verbal. Your first priority right now is the MCAT, you can worry about the application once you have your MCAT. Now try everything you can to improve the verbal. As a fellow ESL student, I can give u these tips to improve the VR (I scored a 9 on the VR and I was happy with it - people have no idea how hard I work to get that 9)
a) READ READ READ wildly, from magazines, news, books, anything you can get your hands on (I like to start my morning with reading 2 news articles from Times, Nytimes on the internet. Sign up for some magazine and read them while you commute)
b) Do 4-5 full verbal passages everyday and make sure you go back and analyze your incorrect and correct answers) -

There are many helpful threads on improving VR score, and I followed those instructions so please search on SDN for those threads. I am happy with my VR score because it got me where I want to be. So don't give up, it's hard but it's definitely doable. Good luck.
Thanks a lot for your comment & advice. I really feel how you understand the situation I am in. It is really challenging for me as ESL to improve the VR score and makes me nervous all the time. I am doing my best to do as many passages as possible before the exam and learn from my incorrect answer every time, and speed up my reading. Good luck to you; thanks again.

I hope so; I did not got 5 in VR yet; but that was my fear / guessing. I am trying to improve that in these few days. My actual test is in Jan 15. Thanks a lot for your advice and opinion.

All I say is get your verbal higher to 8+. Possibly 7+ if your under represented in medicine. I know the statistics for a 5 is zero to get accepted and a 6 very few again, only 7+ you have a chance. This is based in data released from AAmC on mcat scores and matriculation.

English is my 2nd language (5th actually) but even if I had a much better score than you, I know what you mean.

I hope you're not applying this year, are you? Anyway, study again. Read tons of books, practice practice practice and redo your MCAT if you want an MD so bad. Do not take the MCAT if you're scoring less than 5 in the practice tests, it means you need the change the way you're studying. Next year, we wouldn't have the same MCAT maybe it will be easier for you because the verbal was changed by not including natural science and focusing on humanities and sociology. However, you will need to study more and add biochemistry, sociology and psychology.

Or, you could just apply broadly to DO schools (please go and read about them and do not just reject them prior to that).

Good luck :)