$450k is crazy. But what about $250k?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maiyaa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I spend approx $250k for dental school? Is it worth it? I have an uncle who's been very discouraging about me going to dental school. His main concern is saturation.

I don't have any dentists in the family. And I haven't asked any of the dentists I've shadowed about the cost of attending dental school. Perhaps I should.

Anyone from a family with dentists?

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on your primary motivation and how successful you envision yourself as a dentist in the future as opposed to yourself in other profession. They can make good money, but there are other jobs that make just as much, if not more, that wouldn't put you so much in the red, make you go to extra school, and perhaps go live at a place you don't want to make money.

Last edited:
yes, it is becoming saturated. but depending on where you are, wages can be high or low. the cost is far more manageable at $250k vs. $450k. i graduated with $275k in student loans 5 years ago. i consolidated it down to $1500 a month for 30 years, but i'm paying it off way faster. personally, i think the ROI is better at this range than anything higher. but that's just mho.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, it is becoming saturated. but depending on where you are, wages can be high or low. the cost is far more manageable at $250k vs. $450k. i graduated with $275k in student loans 5 years ago. i consolidated it down to $1500 a month for 30 years, but i'm paying it off way faster. personally, i think the ROI is better at this range than anything higher. but that's just mho.

This makes me feel a little better about my loans. I just got my financial aid package yesterday and I think I'll be expecting around 275k as well.

I'm expecting to be ~$250k in the hole after its all said and done. I'm not worried about the debt, however I am single and willing to move anywhere (not to the complete boonies though). I also have no desire to practice in Cali or NYC.

Should I spend approx $250k for dental school? Is it worth it? I have an uncle who's been very discouraging about me going to dental school. His main concern is saturation.

I don't have any dentists in the family. And I haven't asked any of the dentists I've shadowed about the cost of attending dental school. Perhaps I should.

What do you guys think?
Dental school costs a lot. I love my job though so if you are not 100% about it- don't do it

How do you think that impacted your financial planning?
I guess it didn't impact it at all? I never took that into consideration because it never was possibility. I have a good idea about the numbers to expect a few places where I could see myself working. Having a guaranteed practice to walk in to would be nice because you can control for almost every variable (and the pay is usually better), but it is also limiting in the fact that you are essentially tied down to that location for better or worse.

I think it's DEFINITELY worth it to become a dentist with 250K in loans. I am not sure it is with 450K tho

What do you guys think?

I'm expecting to be ~$250k in the hole after its all said and done. I'm not worried about the debt, however I am single and willing to move anywhere (not to the complete boonies though). I also have no desire to practice in Cali or NYC.
Genuine question: why are you not worried?

Dentists very rarely default on their loans. If some people with 450k+ can pay off their loans... Those with 250k should be able to manage their debt much easier....given that they are responsible enough to not spend frivolously after graduation.

That's why I'm not concerned about my ~225k debt

Dentists very rarely default on their loans. If some people with 450k+ can pay off their loans... Those with 250k should be able to manage their debt much easier....given that they are responsible enough to not spend frivolously after graduation.

That's why I'm not concerned about my ~225k debt
The average student loan across America is about 30k. Yet, little over 40% of students went into default/delinquency/postponement on their loans.

It makes one wonder. Can that many students not make payments or they just don't want to?

On the other hand, I think only a handful of GP have graduated with 450k debt and already gotten that taken care of. After all, only 2% or so graduated with over 400k five years ago.

Reactions: 1 user
The average student loan across America is about 30k. Yet, little over 40% of students went into default/delinquency/postponement on their loans.
It makes one wonder. Can that many students not make payments or they just don't want to?

On the other hand, I think only a handful of GP have graduated with 450k debt and already gotten that taken care of. After all, only 2% or so graduated with over 400k five years ago.

Mind you we're talking about dentists and their loans!
I'm sure if most students had a useful degree and/or if we were in a more economically stable time, people could pay off their loans...

you'd like Nevada, Texas, or Eastern Washington. Zero income tax for the win.