4th year about to get dismissed! Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You could certainly pay off your loans with a mortgage, but the problem is getting a(nother) mortgage with so much debt, even if you have good credit. I'm going to at least try to do exactly that.

Members don't see this ad.

You could certainly pay off your loans with a mortgage, but the problem is getting a(nother) mortgage with so much debt, even if you have good credit. I'm going to at least try to do exactly that.

We had bank loan officers come talk with us during an elective that I had and they said that while student loan debt is not good it's not the same as if you had credit debt, auto loans, or other mortgages. It's not positive, but it doesn't really count against you.

Oh, good to know. Maybe I'll look into that plan a little more, then. I'd MUCH rather have my loans all in one place at 5% than in 4 separate packages at 8.5% each.

Members don't see this ad :)
What I want you to know is...people with any sort of experience in their lives will show you kindness and understanding. They won't sit there and say "well so and so's mother died and she was just fine--so what the heck is wrong with you?" What you really need to show them is that you are passionate about this---honestly plead your case and pretty much beg--if that's what you have to do to get more time to fix this. You can't throw away all your hard work and give up if this is still what you want. you are only going to live this life once--if they dismiss you--this dr. thing is over.

What I want you to know is...people with any sort of experience in their lives will show you kindness and understanding. They won't sit there and say "well so and so's mother died and she was just fine--so what the heck is wrong with you?" What you really need to show them is that you are passionate about this---honestly plead your case and pretty much beg--if that's what you have to do to get more time to fix this. You can't throw away all your hard work and give up if this is still what you want. you are only going to live this life once--if they dismiss you--this dr. thing is over.

Based on the OP's story, he/she has not only had multiple failures in courses and licensing exams, but also lied about his/her status for several months. Most people are all about second-chances, but when you get to third and fourth chances, it's probably time to seriously reconsider whether this is a person who should be released into the world with an MD after their name.

You act like the school is treating this person dismissively or unkindly. My reading of the story is that they are doing anything but. They allowed the student to take a year off to do research. The helped him/her remediate multiple failures. They made exceptions to policies on when Step I needs to be taken and passed. It's sad that his/her grandfather died, but it is a normal tragedy that many people experience, and not really an excuse for prolonged failures during your education.

When a school lets you graduate, they are essentially certifying that, "Yes, this person has the intellectual capability, emotional maturity, and has acquired the requisite skills to practice medicine safely and effectively." Clearly, they are asking themselves if the OP is worthy of such a certification, and in my eyes, that is very appropriate. I'm not saying that this person should be expelled or not, I have no idea, but the school reviewing his/her performance and making a decision based on it is not "unkind", it is the responsible thing to do.

what the heck happened to top scret?

I dont know him but he got banned? for making stuff up? for not knowing what consolidating loans is? LOL.

seriously though, the guy has over 1k posts. the same with other banned users.

is SDN cracking down like the 80s crack down?

Hi, I am a 4th year MS who is about to be dismissed from a medical school on grounds of poor academic performance. To describe my situation a little: I have passed through my second year without any problem (one minor fail(histology test that was remediated with retest). Then during the summer when I had to take step 1, my grandfather passed away, which caused extreme psychological disturbance. I was not able to take step 1. Then I go through third year failing 2 of the required clekrshis. After third year I was so stressed out and decided to take a year off and do research, but I was not in my right mind and didn't start reserach until December. School found this out and put me on probation since basically I was "lying" about my research student status. At this time I had a psychological consulting because of possible depressive episodes. After a year off I got back, trying to take step 1, but I was still not able to concentrate and did couple of electives and took one of the shelf exams, which I failed. So I remediated with extra clinical time. I was not able to take the second shelf and dean suggested taking some time off until I felt I was able to succeedd academically. So I took the second part of the year off, and I got back to beginning of my fourth year, and took step 1 and took the second shelf retake, which I failed again. So now school committee will be discussing possibility of dismissal beacuse of poor academic performace.

Is there anyone who experienced or know someone in similar situation?

My questions is how likely is it that they will actually dismiss me and what can I do to prevent getting dismissed? After getting dismissed, I have heard people appealing their case to the school to be re-instated. What does that entail? (i.e., hiring a lawyer? writing a letter? what is the actual process of appealing ?)

Also, when you get dismissed, do you have to start paying off your loans immediately? Is there any way of being granted forberance? I would have to file a bankruptcy if I have to start paying off my loans now.

Please Help! any advice welcome! Thanks
How r things? Were you able to resolve your issue with your school.?