4th Year Externship Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dg2b

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any other 3rd year Au.D. students applying for externships this year? How is it going for you? I applied to 8 exterships so far, and have gotten 5 rejections, one waitlist, and two that I'm still waiting on. I've been getting phone/skype interviews for almost everywhere that I've applied, but not getting any offers.

For anyone who has gone through the process already, what are these placements looking for in an extern? It seems like most places that have been posted on HearCareers are very competitive, and some can have 40+ applicants for one spot. Many placements also seem to have affiliations with other universities, and will maybe offer 1 of their 8 spots to a student from another program. Is there hope for students whose programs do not have externship agreements?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently going through the externship search as well. Our university doesn't have official agreements with sites, but we have sites that regularly take our students. I've been turned down by many sites, simply because they can't take a student next year. I'm seriously considering a position in another city, just because there are none available in my surrounding areas. I can't say what they expect of a fourth year, since I'm at the same point, but good luck wherever you go!