4th year scheduling and applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pandoraone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am an average applicant interested in some top programs. I had some questions about scheduling my fourth year.

I have some free time at the end of third year/early forth year I was hoping to use to strengthen my application. My medical school has a year 3 neurology rotation. Is it necessary to do a Sub-I in neuro? Also, do I have to have my medicine sub-i done before application time? Will that strentghen my changes in light of a poor step 1 score at the top places?

Are there any other rotations I can do at my home institution to help show my interest in neuro? I don't plan on doing any aways, will that hurt a lot?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sub-I in neuro is a good idea and will likely help you get letters, though not necessary. Medicine sub-I before applications isn't necessary- for me only one program ever asked about a non-neurology grade. I didn't do aways and it didn't hurt at all, though if you come from somewhere without much of a neuro department it would be a good idea. Neuroradiology is a good additional neuro elective to take, also spending time in the neuro ICU if available, and research.

As far as making up for a very low step 1 score, understand that to some degree you can't. There are programs that use step 1 as their first filter and won't even see anything else. For the rest, a drastically improved step 2, good clinical grades, strong LORs are musts, while publications can help you stand out as well.