4th yr Elective Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EctopicFetus

Keeping it funky enough
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if you guys can help me out!

I want to do an away EM elective next yr and for a number of reasons I cant do it where I "want to end up". This is mainly because I dont know where I want to end up.

So I would like to know where I can do a rotation where I can learn a lot and get a great letter (after working my tail off) from someone with clout.

If possible I would prefer the SouthEast. After that I would like either the Midwest or Texas. I am planning on rotating at Cook County already and I need another site.

Thanks
Ectopic

Members don't see this ad.

I did rotations at Sinai-Grace in Detroit and University of Chicago.

I would not recommend a rotation at the University of Chicago as a medical student. You work only at the main campus and you don't see that much really, but you do get the opportunity to fly in the helicopter so that is pretty cool.

I think that an away rotation at Sinai-Grace would be very benificial and provide you with both a fun and interesting rotation. Sinai sees a ton of Detroit's trauma as well as a ton of medically sick people. The residents there are really given a ton of responsibility and the attendings are right there and truely approachable. I went very far with a good letter from the PD at Grace.

I think, though, you would have a much better time in the sunny/warm southeast. Good luck

Wondering if anyone else is willing / able to help? I am in dire need!!

Dr.Evil1 said:
I did rotations at Sinai-Grace in Detroit and University of Chicago.

I would not recommend a rotation at the University of Chicago as a medical student. You work only at the main campus and you don't see that much really, but you do get the opportunity to fly in the helicopter so that is pretty cool.

I think that an away rotation at Sinai-Grace would be very benificial and provide you with both a fun and interesting rotation. Sinai sees a ton of Detroit's trauma as well as a ton of medically sick people. The residents there are really given a ton of responsibility and the attendings are right there and truely approachable. I went very far with a good letter from the PD at Grace.

I think, though, you would have a much better time in the sunny/warm southeast. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Students rotating at Hennepin get to do as much as they want, so if you feel like working your butt off, you can have an awesome experience and learn a ton. I know pretty much nothing about what kind of letters people get, so there's your grain of salt.

If you enjoy doing procedures and playing with technology, check it out.

I have nothing but good things to say about Denver's rotation. You'll see a ton, do a ton, learn a ton, and get a great letter that opens doors coast-to-coast.

EctopicFetus said:
So I would like to know where I can do a rotation where I can learn a lot and get a great letter (after working my tail off) from someone with clout.

If possible I would prefer the SouthEast.

If you're looking for a rotation in the South where you'll learn a ton and get a letter from a big name, Vandy is probably one of the best places you could do it.

Can anyone share their experieces doing a 4th year rotation in New Mexico?

elschmiter said:
Can anyone share their experieces doing a 4th year rotation in New Mexico?

Sure. I did a month at UNM and loved it. For the most part, I picked up patients just like the residents, saw them and devised a workup/treatment plan. I'd write out the orders and then discuss them with the attending (on occasion, the third year "teaching" resident). We'd talk about and usually change something after I couldn't come up with a good reason for ordering test X.

I really enjoyed my month there. The faculty and residents were great and I learned alot. Needless to say, I had a blast on my time off. I drove around most of the northern part of the state and took about 2GB of pictures (my hobby).

Take care,
Jeff

UF-Jacksonville is a good rotation for med students. it is a county program and you get to do a ton on the rotation. the schedule is pretty nice as well. the letter was mentioned on most of my interviews. i am sure there are plenty of other great programs out there, but it seems (from the consensus of many on interviews) that county programs are great place to learn as a student--plenty of procedures, decent autonomy, etc. As far as a resident, county programs are hit or miss due to the patient population, volume, and lack of money in most of the county programs.

Anyone have comments on the student rotation at Highland?

yeah, jonwilli, glad you had a good experience at jax...we let our studets do as much as they want/can...most get some ED tubes, definately lines, usually some chest tubes...this time of year we're missing our em-bound students...the UF sutdents not going into EM often don't want the procedures we're used to giving them.

Hercules said:
If you're looking for a rotation in the South where you'll learn a ton and get a letter from a big name, Vandy is probably one of the best places you could do it.

is it true they had a negative review last time around and they are having trouble?

Good thread Ecto.. I guess many of us are in the same boat (and it's getting late!!) Has anyone rotated at MLK in cali? would appreciate a feedback

RayF said:
is it true they had a negative review last time around and they are having trouble?

Vandy??? When I interviewed there, they certainly didn't mention anything about a negative RRC review. Everything I saw/heard/etc indicated that the program is on autopilot. Additionally, given the reputations of Drs. Slovis and Wrenn (not to mention my interviews with them) I would be shocked if they got anything less than a great evaluation. Besides, doesn't the RRC give bonus points for having residents on reality shows???

i'm planning on doing 2 EM audition electives.. I've got one set up, but i was wondering if most ppl do a regular EM elective for their 2nd one, or do they do an EM subspecialty like Tox or Wilderness... do you think doing an away in one of those could help with LOR's or should I just go for a 2nd regular EM elective?

thanks,
v

viraj2 said:
i'm planning on doing 2 EM audition electives.. I've got one set up, but i was wondering if most ppl do a regular EM elective for their 2nd one, or do they do an EM subspecialty like Tox or Wilderness... do you think doing an away in one of those could help with LOR's or should I just go for a 2nd regular EM elective?

thanks,
v

Nah, I wouldn't say it's necessary. I'm looking at doing three EM rotations. I'm not planning on doing any subspecialty, although if I want a 4th EM rotation, I will probably do a Peds EM month. Our school caps us at 12 weeks, but Peds EM is considered Pediatrics.

Why am I doing 3 and possibly 4? There are so many places I want to see first hand. Plus every ER has it's differences that make them unique places to work.

Dr. Will said:
Nah, I wouldn't say it's necessary. I'm looking at doing three EM rotations. I'm not planning on doing any subspecialty, although if I want a 4th EM rotation, I will probably do a Peds EM month. Our school caps us at 12 weeks, but Peds EM is considered Pediatrics.

Why am I doing 3 and possibly 4? There are so many places I want to see first hand. Plus every ER has it's differences that make them unique places to work.

Uhh I would most def double check that Peds EM counts as Peds and not EM. I imagine if you do it at Lutheran then yeah you are right but otherwise I wouldnt bother. Also, if you are thinking of doing it at Lutheran email me since I did Peds there so I can tell you a little bit about the kids who are admitted which should give you a strong idea of what they see downstairs.

EctopicFetus said:
Uhh I would most def double check that Peds EM counts as Peds and not EM. I imagine if you do it at Lutheran then yeah you are right but otherwise I wouldnt bother. Also, if you are thinking of doing it at Lutheran email me since I did Peds there so I can tell you a little bit about the kids who are admitted which should give you a strong idea of what they see downstairs.

Pretty sure I'm not going to be doing a 4th EM elective. 3 should be enough. Plus, I kinda figured out my entire schedule for next year with all the electives and time off I wanted, and there is no peds-em included (depending on how I feel, the third EM elective may get dropped too). Now if I can only be assured that I'll get it to work out the way I like.

Dr. Will said:
Pretty sure I'm not going to be doing a 4th EM elective. 3 should be enough. Plus, I kinda figured out my entire schedule for next year with all the electives and time off I wanted, and there is no peds-em included (depending on how I feel, the third EM elective may get dropped too). Now if I can only be assured that I'll get it to work out the way I like.

I ended up doing two EM rotations and one EM ultrasound rotation. I think If i had it over I would have just done one EM and EM ultrasound, and the other one maybe something relevant to EM instead of just EM. But I guess if your main concern to do the EM rotation is to check out the school then you have to do more, but maybe it would be better to do 2 week away rotations at like 4 places!