5 year residency-how is it done, exactly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Therese737

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that Rad.Oncolgy is 5 years total: One year internship in Internal Medicine or Family Medicine, then the reaming 4 years are in the Specialty (radiation oncology). Do I have to apply seperately for the one year internship, and then reapply all over again to a 4 year residency program in Radiation Oncology? Or is there a way that combine the two so that I only apply one time? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Therese737
I understand that Rad.Oncolgy is 5 years total: One year internship in Internal Medicine or Family Medicine, then the reaming 4 years are in the Specialty (radiation oncology). Do I have to apply seperately for the one year internship, and then reapply all over again to a 4 year residency program in Radiation Oncology? Or is there a way that combine the two so that I only apply one time? Thanks.

The majority of the Rad Onc programs are 4 years after you complete your intern year. When you apply your 4th year, you apply for Rad Onc (which is your "primary" program) and your intern year (which can be done as a preliminary medicine/surgery or transitional) at the same time. You'll learn more about it during your 4th year.

There are, however, a handful of programs that offer combined, integrated 5 years where you are required to do your intern year at the same institution. Here are the ones I know of:
- William Beaumont
- Univ Michigan
- Cleveland Clinic
- Emory

You can add the University of Kentucky to the list.

Until this year, it was like Cleveland Clinic where you match for a PGY1-5 position. Now, it's an advanced match, but you must still do your intern year at UK (as a surgery prelim, too!:mad: ).

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it possible to do RadOnc after completing an internal medicine residency? In a way it would be similar to thinking about doing a fellowship after medicine. Just curious if anybody knows anyone who has done this.

Originally posted by vitaminj
Is it possible to do RadOnc after completing an internal medicine residency? In a way it would be similar to thinking about doing a fellowship after medicine. Just curious if anybody knows anyone who has done this.

Very much possible. I know personally of 1 person who was board certified in IM before going into Rad Onc. And as addressed in another thread, there is 1 program that I know of (San Antonio) that prefers these credentials. But as far as other programs...whether this will be an advantage or not...will depend on each program.

During the match last year, I believe there were approximately 10 Radiation Oncology programs listed as categorical (meaning you did not apply separately for the Intern year). The remainder (107, I think) are advanced positions, meaning you must apply separately for the internship. It is my understanding that any primary care field (IM, peds, surgery, FP, or even OB), as well as a transitional year, would be acceptable as an Intern year prior to a Rad Onc program. However, prelim medicine, prelim surgery, and transitional year are the most common.