501c3 and pslf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ethilo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know a good way to determine if a particular hospital is 501c3 and if the anesthesiologists at said hospital are a contracted group or directly paid by the hospital?

I'm trying to figure out which hospitals in my area are options to qualify for PSLF. I'm in the Northwest.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know a good way to determine if a particular hospital is 501c3 and if the anesthesiologists at said hospital are a contracted group or directly paid by the hospital?

I'm trying to figure out which hospitals in my area are options to qualify for PSLF. I'm in the Northwest.

Ask the practice manager if you can, the accountant, or just do what I did and google it with 501c3 after it

Members don't see this ad :)
While health care systems may be 501c3, What is controlling is not where you work, but the entity that signs your paycheck. Health care systems frequently own lots of LLCs. Not all of them are non-profit.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm halfway through my PSLF trek. Guaranteed to be rescinded by Big Brother after the first payments go through next year and they realize what they've done... :-(

I'm halfway through my PSLF trek. Guaranteed to be rescinded by Big Brother after the first payments go through next year and they realize what they've done... :-(

There have already been several proposals to decrease PSLF to a max of 50K.

The general public has no idea how bad doctors got F-ed over by Bush/Congress when they changed our loans and eliminated the economic hardship deferment plan. They will likely change the PSLF program to once again screw over those "greedy doctors".

Yeah. Have gone through residency and now in an academic gig. I did the math and my loan forgiveness would be somewhere between 90k-110k, but that's also after paying almost 200k...

Yeah. Have gone through residency and now in an academic gig. I did the math and my loan forgiveness would be somewhere between 90k-110k, but that's also after paying almost 200k...

The other big question that has yet to be answered by the government and IRS is whether PSLF will be treated as taxable income. My bet is that it will and that puts you on the hook for one massive tax bill.

They say it is NOT taxable income on their website... Below, taken directly from their FAQ

"Note that loan amounts forgiven under the PSLF Program are not considered income by the Internal Revenue Service. Therefore, you will not have to pay federal income tax on the amount of your Direct Loans that is forgiven after you have made the 120 qualifying payments."

Recent law graduates are relying on PSLF staying intact more than doctors are. If the underlying terms of PSLF get switched up this will be the one time that we will have the lawyers on our side.

Reactions: 5 users
Recent law graduates are relying on PSLF staying intact more than doctors are. If the underlying terms of PSLF get switched up this will be the one time that we will have the lawyers on our side.

I fking love this post.