506 MCAT 3.97 cGPA 3.97 BCPM GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HalfwaytoMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances?
506 MCAT (126 Chem/Phys, 125 CARS, 128 Bio/biochem, 127 psych/soc)
3.97 cumulative GPA & 3.97 science GPA
Volunteer with hospice patients & front desk at a hospital
100 hours of physician shadowing in many different specialties
About a year of bioinformatic research (coauthor on an article that has been accepted for publication)
Work part time as a student worker in housing department about 20 hours a week for past two years

Currently only planning on applying to three medical schools. Is this a good idea? Would love to hear any thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty much a noob with this stuff so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I like your EC's. Your GPA is magnificent and should make up for your MCAT IMO.

If I were you, I'd set middle of the road med schools as your targets, along with a few safeties, some of which might be in the form of DO.

I'd apply to at least 10 schools though (composed of maybe 1-2 reaches at the most). If you can help it, I'd do 20 or more.

Members don't see this ad :)
@gyngyn, did you misread the MCAT here, or are you suggesting that a 506 really is a 27? Looks like a 29 based on conversion charts and percentiles.

Reactions: 1 user
@gyngyn, did you misread the MCAT here, or are you suggesting that a 506 really is a 27? Looks like a 29 based on conversion charts and percentiles.
You are right 28+.
Same advice for OP, though, a good chance for an IS interview.
Probably needs a dozen from this list:

VCU
Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Loyola
Creighton
SLU
WVU
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland
Netter
Western Michigan
Drexel
Jeff
Temple
Tufts
Albany
MCW

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for the responses!
Honestly, before reading around on this forum, I didn't know applying to 15+ schools was recommended. I understand the "casting a wide net" philosophy, but that puts a strain on me financially (having to pay per school on AMCAS, secondary fees, traveling to interviews, etc.). Is forking out all that money something that is just a necessary part of getting in, or is playing it safe with just a few schools sometimes acceptable?

Thank you all for the responses!
Honestly, before reading around on this forum, I didn't know applying to 15+ schools was recommended. I understand the "casting a wide net" philosophy, but that puts a strain on me financially (having to pay per school on AMCAS, secondary fees, traveling to interviews, etc.). Is forking out all that money something that is just a necessary part of getting in, or is playing it safe with just a few schools sometimes acceptable?
@HalfwaytoMD, your stats look EXACTLY like mine. Was disappointed with my MCAT score but decided to move forward. Where did you end up matriculating?

@HalfwaytoMD, your stats look EXACTLY like mine. Was disappointed with my MCAT score but decided to move forward. Where did you end up matriculating?

I have the same stats too, and am planning on applying this upcoming cycle. I would be interested in hearing how your cycle went as well