507 MCAT (~30), 3.67 GPA, 3.53 BCPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmouh001

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, these are my current stats. I'm a little worried :/

White/ Hispanic Female
MCAT- 507, 126 bio, 126 phys, 127 CARS, 128 psych
GPA-3.67 (will be a 3.7 by graduation)
BCPM-3.53 (will be closer to a 3.6 by graduation)
Honors College (all 4 undergrad years)

EC's:
-Individual Community based research on healthcare disparity under guidance of a professor (no publications) for ~1 year
-Research on chickpeas for sustainable food source in developing countries (no publications) for ~1 year
-Active member of a premed club, not active member in a few honor societies (including Golden Key), former member of the school marching band and symphonic band
-~200 hours of physician shadowing
-~200 hours of community service (at childrens hospital and with nonprofit organization)
-job as medical assistant (vitals, patient history, etc) for 4 months and medical records custodian (fulfilling medical records requests) for ~1 year at doctors office
- General Chemistry tutor volunteering for the chemistry department at my university (~1 year)
-Biology tutor volunteering for biology department (~ 1 semester)
* Will be pursuing accelerated MPH in my gap year before med school
I will be applying next cycle. Do I have good odds of getting into MD school?
(I am a Florida Resident)
Also, suggestions on a list of schools to apply to?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What community do you represent? And please do not say "Palm Beach"

If not URM (not all Latinas are), I recommend the following:

Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
Quinnipiac
WVU
Rosy Franklin
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Albany
NYMC
VCU
U VM
EVMS
Oakland-B
Western MI
Rush
Your state school(s).
Any DO school.

Hey guys, these are my current stats. I'm a little worried :/

White/ Hispanic Female
MCAT- 507, 126 bio, 126 phys, 127 CARS, 128 psych
GPA-3.67 (will be a 3.7 by graduation)
BCPM-3.53 (will be closer to a 3.6 by graduation)
Honors College (all 4 undergrad years)

EC's:
-Individual Community based research on healthcare disparity under guidance of a professor (no publications) for ~1 year
-Research on chickpeas for sustainable food source in developing countries (no publications) for ~1 year
-Active member of a premed club, not active member in a few honor societies (including Golden Key), former member of the school marching band and symphonic band
-~200 hours of physician shadowing
-~200 hours of community service (at childrens hospital and with nonprofit organization)
-job as medical assistant (vitals, patient history, etc) for 4 months and medical records custodian (fulfilling medical records requests) for ~1 year at doctors office
- General Chemistry tutor volunteering for the chemistry department at my university (~1 year)
-Biology tutor volunteering for biology department (~ 1 semester)
* Will be pursuing accelerated MPH in my gap year before med school
I will be applying next cycle. Do I have good odds of getting into MD school?
(I am a Florida Resident)
Also, suggestions on a list of schools to apply to?

A 507 is a 29.5 which is low for MD, but luckily you are a Florida resident so I think your chances may not be all too bad. If you could raise the MCAT to a 514, you'd have nothing to worry about. As it is now, I would recommend applying to DO schools along with MD schools next cycle

Members don't see this ad :)
I am Lebanese (White Middle Eastern) and Colombian (South American Hispanic). I'm not sure if that is considered URM.

Last edited:
I am going to apply to a few DO schools as backup but would rather attend an MD program. Would I be a competitive applicant at the schools you listed?

Last edited:
A 507 is a 29.5 which is low for MD, but luckily you are a Florida resident so I think your chances may not be all too bad. If you could raise the MCAT to a 514, you'd have nothing to worry about. As it is now, I would recommend applying to DO schools along with MD schools next cycle
29.5? 1% point above an old 29 is basically a 29.

Considering the old 30 was 78% and below and the old 29 was a 73% and below, my score would fall under a "30". In the past someone who scored 74th percentile would have received a 30. I realize the new scores are split up now, but I agree it's more in between a 29 and a 30. I have spoken to adcoms and they told me it was interpreted as such.

Considering the old 30 was 78% and below and the old 29 was a 73% and below, my score would fall under a "30". In the past someone who scored 74th percentile would have received a 30. I realize the new scores are split up now, but I agree it's more in between a 29 and a 30. I have spoken to adcoms and they told me it was interpreted as such.

It doesn't matter, whether or not you have a 29 or 30 isn't going to change whether you get in or not.

But if you are interested in how to do the specific calculations

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/434504/data/percentilenewmcat.pdf

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/430684/data/finalpercentileranksfortheoldmcatexam.pdf

30: 74th-79th percentile
29: 68th-73rd percentile

507: 72nd-74th percentile

Therefore since there is more overlap with 507 in the 29 range than 30, it's better to just assume it's a 29 and that its more likely to be interpreted as such

To Goro's list you can add GW, Georgetown, Penn State, Loyola and all Fl schools. That's about 25 schools. Do well this year and if you can interview decently next year there's a good chance that'll be enough.

Thank you @GrapesofRath ! I appreciate the advice. I don't mind people's interpretation of my score, but it does bother me when they are solely doing it to bash someone who is actually trying to be helpful.