515 3.4 - Help Trim MD List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

islandersfan79

Reaction score
This is my second time posting. I've taken the advice of Faha here and would like help finalizing my school list. I spent a lot of time crafting this list. The primary factors I used were LizzyM (25%/50%/75%), OOS interview ratio (OOS apps/OOS interviews), and total OOS seats. I've listed my stats below.

1. 3.42 cGPA w/ upward trend (2.96/3.38/3.40/3.74), 3.35 sGPA
  2. 515 MCAT (127/131/126/131)
  3. New York Resident
  4. White male
  5. Insignificant undergrad institution BSc
  6. ~2000 hours medical scribe across four outpatient specialties; 50 hours ED volunteer
  7. ~500 hours clinical research w/ no publications, no presentations (thus far)
  8. ~250 hours as a crisis counselor, misc volunteering associated with athletics team
  9. Athlete
  10. Proficiency in Spanish with a BA
  11. Strong letters from an MD and a DO + professors and research coordinator
I'd like to apply to ~30 MD programs. Therefore, I need help cutting 5-10 of the schools from this list. Also, if there's any glaring omissions (schools I really should be applying to), don't hesitate to let me know. I can defend most of the reasons that schools are/aren't on this list. Just ask. I will be also applying DO but for the scope of this post I'd simply like to focus on the MD list.

Would appreciate some feedback as a nervous low GPA applicant. Postbacc wasn't very feasible for me financially, I'm very much aware that my GPA could use some work. Any last minute advice/feedback, or help on the school list would be much appreciated. My LizzyM is 68.

Target (LizzyM < or = 70)
TCU-UNTHSC
Tulane
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Buffalo
Eastern Virginia
Loyola
West Virginia
Temple
New York Medical College
Albany

Oakland Beaumont
Vermont
Drexel
Penn State
Florida Atlantic
Creighton

Upper (LizzyM < or = 72)
Illinois
Georgetown
Indiana
Miami
SUNY Downstate
Tufts
Colorado
George Washington
SUNY Upstate
Albert Einstein

Jefferson
Saint Louis
NYU LI

Reach (LizzyM > 72)
Iowa
Dartmouth
Western Michigan
Cincinnati
Stony Brook
Hofstra
Rochester

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Florida Atlantic, Illinois, Indiana, Colorado, West Virginia, Iowa accept few non residents with your GPA and no connection to the state. NYU (3.7 10th percentile), Rochester, Cincinnati, St. Louis (3.7 10th percentile), Dartmouth, Miami are unrealistic reaches with your GPA. I suggest these schools from your list:
TCU-UNTHSC
Tulane
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Buffalo
Eastern Virginia
Loyola
Temple
New York Medical College
Albany

Oakland Beaumont
Vermont
Drexel
Penn State
Creighton
Georgetown
SUNY Downstate
Tufts
George Washington
SUNY Upstate
Albert Einstein

Jefferson
Western Michigan
Stony Brook
Hofstra
Consider adding these schools:
Quinnipiac
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Rosalind Franklin

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you again Faha for taking the time to look over this list.

Just a question as far as the NOVA recommendation - I had eliminated that school due to a 26-1 app/interview ratio for OOS students with only 21 seats. As compared to Miami which has a 21-1 ratio for 90 seats. The Lizzy M for each school at 25 and 50 percentile is 68/70 and 68/71; respectively. I thought Miami seemed more rational of a choice (despite slightly higher stats) but maybe I am mistaken?

Members don't see this ad :)

Just a question as far as the NOVA recommendation - I had eliminated that school due to a 26-1 app/interview ratio for OOS students with only 21 seats. As compared to Miami which has a 21-1 ratio for 90 seats. The Lizzy M for each school at 25 and 50 percentile is 68/70 and 68/71; respectively. I thought Miami seemed more rational of a choice (despite slightly higher stats) but maybe I am mistaken?
You can't simply look at the #s of OOS vs IS in a class, but the %s they have of getting an II and an accept.

You have an upward trend, but a single good SR years isn't usually enough for MD schools. You're more likely to be crowded out by candidates with stronger apps.

You do need DO schools on your list. Beggars can't be choosy. And don't fall into the trap of thinking that a strong MCAT remediates a weak GPA.

You can't simply look at the #s of OOS vs IS in a class, but the %s they have of getting an II and an accept.

You have an upward trend, but a single good SR years isn't usually enough for MD schools. You're more likely to be crowded out by candidates with stronger apps.

You do need DO schools on your list. Beggars can't be choosy. And don't fall into the trap of thinking that a strong MCAT remediates a weak GPA.

@Goro, with all due respect, it sounds like you didn't read my post or my reply. Here are quotes from my initial post.

1. Ratio I provided was "OOS interview ratio (OOS apps/OOS interviews)" aka %s they have of getting an II (as you phrased it)
2. "I will be also applying DO but for the scope of this post I'd simply like to focus on the MD list."
3. "I'm very much aware that my GPA could use some work."

NOVA MD ( a new school) probably accepts a much higher percentage of those that they interview than a well established competitive school such as Miami.