519 4.0 with no MD II looking to add a few DO schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Russian Forcep

Reaction score
What are the top 5 DO schools I should add?

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OP: what help did you get in your submitted secondaries? No love from your in-state either?
I am not the strongest writer by any means, but my girlfriend, who is a PA, read them and made sure nothing was blatantly wrong. All secondaries submitted by 8/4 or within two weeks of receiving.

Utah. No love from my IS. It has me spiraling because they generally interview >50% of IS apps, and I did UG, 5000+ clinical hours, and all my LORs are from there.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Did you apply to UA-PHX? They love high stat candidates from the region.

I am not the strongest writer by any means, but my girlfriend, who is a PA, read them and made sure nothing was blatantly wrong. All secondaries submitted by 8/4 or within two weeks of receiving.

Utah. No love from my IS. It has me spiraling because they generally interview >50% of IS apps, and I did UG, 5000+ clinical hours, and all my LORs are from there.
damn bro this is scary. Wishing you the best this cycle

What is your MD school list?

OP

How many hours of research do you have?

High stat applicants with low research hours seem to struggle as they’re caught in the middle.

OP

How many hours of research do you have?

High stat applicants with low research hours seem to struggle as they’re caught in the middle.
400. Manuscript has been submitted after amcas submission (middle author)
What is your MD school list?
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Anne Burnett Marion School of Medicine at TCU
Boston University Aram V. Chobanian & Edward Avedisian School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons
Creighton University School of Medicine
Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
Drexel University College of Medicine
Duke University School of Medicine
Emory University School of Medicine
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
Harvard Medical School
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Indiana University School of Medicine
Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine
Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California
Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine
New York Medical College
Northeast Ohio Medical University
Northwestern University The Feinberg School of Medicine
NYU Grossman Long Island School of Medicine
NYU Grossman School of Medicine
Ohio State University College of Medicine
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
Robert Larner, M.D., College of Medicine at the University of Vermont
Saint Louis University School of Medicine
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
Spencer Fox Eccles School of Medicine at the University of Utah
The University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences
The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Tufts University School of Medicine
University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine
University of California, San Diego School of Medicine
University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine
University of Chicago Division of the Biological Sciences
The Pritzker School of Medicine
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Hawaii, John A. Burns School of Medicine
University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
University of Michigan Medical School
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
University of Virginia School of Medicine
USF Health Morsani College of Medicine
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine
Weill Cornell Medicine
Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine
Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine
Yale School of Medicine

I am also worried about possible defamation from a previous stalker (threatened this action before and is a "T10" medical student). Is there any way to tactfully ask the schools about this?
Hard to show or prove it would have any effect. We don't pay attention to unsolicited or defamatory "advice" from third parties.

It's weird but it's like the Aaron Rodgers problem in the draft, how he slid all the way down to Green Bay... current situation notwithstanding. Without your application, no way to know.

OP

There are multiple research heavy schools on your list who are used to seeing applicants with your stats that have thousands of research hours.

How many nonclinical volunteering hours do you have that do not involve teaching/tutoring your classmates?

Members don't see this ad :)
OP

There are multiple research heavy schools on your list who are used to seeing applicants with your stats that have thousands of research hours.

How many nonclinical volunteering hours do you have that do not involve teaching/tutoring your classmates?

Your EC’s sound fine but not that impressive and your MCAT isn’t high enough to make up for it, I think you’ll probably hear more later on and should end up with an A but just get ready for a reapp in case

Your EC’s sound fine but not that impressive and your MCAT isn’t high enough to make up for it, I think you’ll probably hear more later on and should end up with an A but just get ready for a reapp in case
5k clinical hours is pretty impressive, no?

Oh I thought the 225 was clinical, yeah 5k is indeed impressive but the research hours are pretty low

I just found out that amcas reported my bachelors degree as an associates to my schools. Could this be impacting my results?

• Wow
  • Hmm
Reactions: 6 users
I just found out that amcas reported my bachelors degree as an associates to my schools. Could this be impacting my results?
Yes. How did you find out?

Save whatever written evidence of the error you have and send it to schools this cycle (follow up with polite phone calls) and also for use if you need to reapply next cycle.

Get AMCAS to correct it this cycle as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
So I reached out to all my schools and they all confirmed it
Contact AMCAS and have this corrected on your primary application.

When you say "they all confirmed it" did they confirm that what they are seeing is that you have an associates degree or did they all confirm that they got your correction/update to your file and made a note of it?

This might be hard to hear but my Thanksgiving Rule applies here.... you aren't allowed to freak out about no interviews until Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving). It may seem absurd but really, there are many successful applicants who don't get invites until November. Hang tight. Meanwhile, always be improving. Given your GPA and MCAT, and your school list, what you should be improving is your research experience.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't know what the wider audience can suggest but you are doing things properly. Kudos to the admissions team for finding the error. Notify AMCAS and the schools of the error. The AMCAS service folks should let you know when the correction is made and will communicate to the other schools of the update. The schools will likely expedite a review of your application with the new information and place you into a review group as soon as they can.

Reactions: 2 users
Contact AMCAS and have this corrected on your primary application.

When you say "they all confirmed it" did they confirm that what they are seeing is that you have an associates degree or did they all confirm that they got your correction/update to your file and made a note of it?

This might be hard to hear but my Thanksgiving Rule applies here.... you aren't allowed to freak out about no interviews until Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving). It may seem absurd but really, there are many successful applicants who don't get invites until November. Hang tight. Meanwhile, always be improving. Given your GPA and MCAT, and your school list, what you should be improving is your research experience.
They all confirmed only an associates. In the same email I asked, I provided proof of the error from the school that alerted me, printed version of my amcas app showing it says bachelors, and my diploma with one click verification. Schools responses ranged from “we made a note on your application” to “please contact amcas to fix the issue” and everywhere in between.

Reactions: 3 users
I have contacted amcas for an academic change request and it seems like it will take 3-5 days to be addressed.

Reactions: 4 users
They all confirmed only an associates. In the same email I asked, I provided proof of the error from the school that alerted me, printed version of my amcas app showing it says bachelors, and my diploma with one click verification. Schools responses ranged from “we made a note on your application” to “please contact amcas to fix the issue” and everywhere in between.
Definitely make sure AMCAS fixes it on its end asap as well as contacting individual schools directly.

AMCAS said they corrected the error, but I cannot confirm because it looked correct on my printed application from the beginning. One school sent me this in response to my original email after the correction.

"Thank you for reaching out. It looks like this was also an issue on our end, but has subsequently been fixed overnight with whatever AMCAS did. You are now complete and in line for review. We look forward to reviewing our application!"

It seems fixed, but I'm not 100% confident.

What should I be doing for the rest of the schools on my list? Reach out again? I am particularly concerned about my state school, and if this is the reason I was not considered, how can I get my application read before their app cycle ends because it seems to end earlier than most.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Politely reaching out to the other schools in writing so you have a record is the way to go.

Not sure how you’d get the attention of your state school in particular. Does it publicize the names and contact info of its admissions counselors?

Politely reaching out to the other schools in writing so you have a record is the way to go.

Not sure how you’d get the attention of your state school in particular. Does it publicize the names and contact info of its admissions counselors?
Okay, I will reach out. I can only find contact info for the admissions office.

Okay, I will reach out. I can only find contact info for the admissions office.
I just realized that since I work at this organization I have access to everyone’s contact information including dean of admissions. Is there any scenario where it is appropriate to reach out using this? I only want to make sure I have been given a fair chance.

I have a feeling I should not do this, but wanted to check here in case I’m overthinking.

Probably should use only publicly available contact info.

For posterity, I received my first II today and it was from the 1/1 school I submitted my primary to after fixing this error in my AMCAS application (from secondary complete to II in less than 2 weeks). Pretty bizarre but so grateful.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 10 users
Yeah. Reach out to every school you applied to with the evidence...I'm not an adcom member, but this probably hurt your chances some, and getting it fixed AND making sure that the error's in front of human eyeballs is likely to be a very good idea for you. You might've even been autoscreened out at some places where you'd have had a legitimate shot. Sorry to hear that you basically got got by a clerical error. Good luck.