5th year undergrad or try for SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmart989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
- I explained my bio in another thread, you might be able to see it if you look around.

Rising Senior at Vanderbilt, haven't taken MCAT
Basics-
cGPA is ~3.2
sGPA is ~2.9

The low GPA is due mostly in part to my science courses.
Orgo is a C+/C and I am currently retaking at my college and I will most likely receive two A's. (different professor)
Physics was a B-/C
Gen Chem was a C+/B-
Bio was a C+/B-
Most of my important upper level science courses were B's. Research for credit I received A's for.

In my situation, I am a Resident Advisor and can receive financial aid for the fifth year, so the financial costs for taking the fifth year and the SMP would be roughly similar (maybe not, but it's not too big of a worry).

My plan right now is to take the fifth year, with the reason being
1. To more easily receive a double major in bio and spanish and not piling on the extra courses I would need to take senior year.
2. To add a lot of mid level science courses that might not be as difficult as orgo and bio like evolution, physiology, immunology, plant biology. I know what some of you might say "If you didn't do well in your other courses, what makes you think you will do well here?"
Well, it's all speculation, and after doing well in orgo during the summer I think I am realizing what it takes to get top grades in harder classes.

So that's the big question. If I am looking to try to get into an allopathic school, should I stick with the undergrad education and try to raise my GPA to around a cGPA ~ 3.4 ish, with the sGPA being around 3.1 ish if I receive lots of A's, or should I finish retaking orgo, focus on the double major, and retake maybe the semesters of bio and chem I got C+'s in and try for a SMP?

Or, would it be beneficial to do the fifth year and then do the SMP even if it kills me financially?

If there is any other thing I seem to be clueless about, let me know.

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, the sGPA would be higher than a 3.1 if I received mostly A's for courses- it could go up to 3.2-3.3. So chances for a 3.4 cGPA with a 3.3 sGPA having an upward trend and having decent ECs. MCAT score is needed but let's say in the case of ~30 and in the case of above a 35. I've tried searching around the forums but it is difficult to find many people in the 3.2-3.4 GPA range. I see many 3.5s and up and 2.9s and down, but few in my category.

Thanks for your help guys.

I'd say 5th year (that's what I did), but your best bet is to apply after the 5th year and also do an SMP. I applied after my 5th year and it stinks to wait to long, but it's the smart thing to do, IMHO

Members don't see this ad :)
What is an SMP??

This is on the forum many times.

SMP = Special Masters Program. Designed to help those with a less than stellar GPA ~ 3.4 ish and below ~ take classes with or designed for medical students to prove to admissions comms that you can handle the load and do it well. Very expensive usually, and is usually a last ditch effort. Thats a meager definition of it.

Quick background: I am sub-3.0 gpa from a good ugrad. I just finished the SMP at Tufts.

I've been talking to admissions ppl and the biggest thing I'm shocked to hear is that the SMP isn't given a whole lot of consideration. The way they sell the SMP makes it seem that doing well in it will get you in pretty easily. The problem is they see two GPAs, the ugrad and then the grad. and the bad news is yes they consider the grad and how you handled the work, but its more of a special case consideration. Its not a stats game in that seeing you did well in the SMP and MCAT, they will take you. So my first and foremost thought is that your ugrad gpa needs to look as good as possible (no brainer right?).
now since u have the discrepancy between science and cum GPAs, taking a 5th year of just hardcore sciences and doing well (most As, a couple A-, and no Bs) would probably make you competitive for low/mid tier schools. This is all with the given you get an MCAT above 30. have you asked your med advising office what the avg GPA of vanderbilt accepted students is?
That being said, I know some ppl in my program with 3.4-3.5 gpas, who applied previously and didnt get in, and so are doing the SMP. Does the rest of your application make a case for you to be accepted, without regard to the stats?

since your saying the financial issue is similar (SMP is almost always paid by loans, and costs essentially the same as a year in private ugrad), I think you have the right course of action taking the 5th year ugrad so long as you know u can get the As. If you dont think u can get the As, dont risk lowering your GPA, you definitely want to keep the upward trend. Unfortunately, even when you are about the finish next year, you may still need to ask the question of doing an SMP, but probably for different reasons.

theres a postbac forum that has SMP stuff in it too and u may want to read that as well.

It also depends on which SMP you do, if you do one of the well known ones I believe it carries a lot of weight. There are also SMPs which pretty much work at getting you into straight into their own medical school. Do your research but I believe the MCAT is one thing you need going for you. With a 30+ MCAT (with your GPA probably 32ish) I think you can get into a decent SMP. But those programs are only for people that have one glaring hole which is their GPA. Everything else (EC's, LORs, MCAT needs to be good or u'll just waste your money)