69, 63, 70 (Mosby PTCB Exam Scores)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CarefreeSurfboard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have my PTCB exam at 5 pm today and I'm getting in some practice tests.

I was wondering how the Mosby's PTCB exams fare against the actual exam.
As of now I've been studying for 6 days.

Of the three practice tests I took on paper, I received a 69/100, 63/100, and 70/100 in that order.

The majority of the problems I make errors on relate to Generic Drug Names, and small tid bits. But mostly naming of Drugs and what they do. I have no experience in healthcare. I have the math down cold though, if anything I'll make one silly mistake because I misinterpret something or what not.

The second test I took had over 25 drug related questions :\

Is that close enough to pass, or am I cutting it close. (650 right? But I was just hoping someone could give some insight on their experiences with Mosby's Book and the actual Exam)

I'll be taking some of the computer tests Mosby's book has as I wait for responses; and will update with the scores I receive.

Thanks alot!

Arc

Members don't see this ad.

[Image Related]
2zp2qtt.jpg

Help me or the kitten gets it.
Lol I kid.

Hello,

I have posted this in Liscensures and Exams part of the forum but I was hoping to get a quicker response. I have the exam in 3 hours. Please bear with me.
(I'll understand if a mod must move this or delete this thread.)

I have my PTCB exam at 5 pm today and I'm getting in some practice tests.

I was wondering how the Mosby's PTCB exams fare against the actual exam.
As of now I've been studying for 6 days.

Of the three practice tests I took on paper, I received a 69/100, 63/100, and 70/100 in that order.

The majority of the problems I make errors on relate to Generic Drug Names, and small tid bits. But mostly naming of Drugs and what they do. I have no experience in healthcare. I have the math down cold though, if anything I'll make one silly mistake because I misinterpret something or what not.

The second test I took had over 25 drug related questions :\

Is that close enough to pass, or am I cutting it close. (650 right? But I was just hoping someone could give some insight on their experiences with Mosby's Book and the actual Exam)

I'll be taking some of the computer tests Mosby's book has as I wait for responses; and will update with the scores I receive.

Thanks alot!

Arc

Make sure you get the Mathematics Down! ( It's a pretty big Portion of the exam)
Conversions, dosages, etc..

Good :luck:!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there.

My memory has faded a bit since I became a C.phT, but I do remember that the Mosby's book prepared me very, very well for the actual thing. IN many cases, questions were verbatim on the "real thing" and in many cases, the questions were simply easier than on the Mosby's!

If you really want a good test, and you have 20 bucks to spare, the PTCB offers an official practice test (3 of them I think) that was last year's test form. That's about as real as it gets...

It's remarkably hard to not pass the PTCE, keep confident.

Thanks so much for the replies!

I took the last Computer given exam from Mosby's 2nd Edition Review book and got 58/100.

:( SO many drug related questions, I hate it.

But yeah, I'll keep the math questions close to heart and do as well as I can on those.

Last edited:
Hey there.

My memory has faded a bit since I became a C.phT, but I do remember that the Mosby's book prepared me very, very well for the actual thing. IN many cases, questions were verbatim on the "real thing" and in many cases, the questions were simply easier than on the Mosby's!

If you really want a good test, and you have 20 bucks to spare, the PTCB offers an official practice test (3 of them I think) that was last year's test form. That's about as real as it gets...

It's remarkably hard to not pass the PTCE, keep confident.

Thanks for the advice; feels good

58/100, and now 83/100. What? There were less drug problems though..

That's your weak spot, so that makes sense. Just don't fret. You're way overthinking this exam, which I suppose, in this line of work, we all do. You will come back here this evening and say, "Holy crap P4S, that was frakking easy!"

:D

58/100, and now 83/100. What? There were less drug problems though..

yeah definitely memorize the generics AND BRANDS and also there will be some questions about hospital pharmacy settings, make sure you read on that.

OK can you try this one?

Doxycycline 250mg/5mL
2 teaspoons po TID 7 days

but you only have 100mg/5mL in your pharmacy. Pretend you work at Rite-Aid.

Compute for total mL.

I believe it's a school of at least 500 to pass! :D soo 650 would still be considered passing! :D

yeah definitely memorize the generics AND BRANDS and also there will be some questions about hospital pharmacy settings, make sure you read on that.

OK can you try this one?

Doxycycline 250mg/5mL

Compute for total mL.

Are calculators permitted?

Members don't see this ad :)

OK can you try this one?

Doxycycline 250mg/5mL

Compute for total mL.

Mistake I hopefully will not make again.

Last edited:
Are calculators permitted?

If you mean in the actual exam, if this is still provided by Pearson, yes, but not your own calculator. There is a standalone calculator on your monitor that you would just pull up if you need it. No physical / tangible calculators. You will be given some laminated writing material as well where you may do your computation.

1 tsp = 5 mL
2 tsp x 3 (tid) x 7 (days) = 42 total mL
but you only have 100mg/5mL in your pharmacy this is not needed correct?

Hi.. :scared: no, 42 is wrong. Make sure you take note of the unit of measure. 2 tsps is 10 mL. But it will not be your sig.

You need to solve for the new sig using the one you have in the pharmacy. The 100mg/5mL is definitely needed as this is what you have available. Should I give the answer or ..? You can do it!!! :thumbup:

1 tsp = 5 mL

2 tsp x 3 (tid) x 7 (days) = 42 total mL

but you only have 100mg/5mL in your pharmacy this is not needed correct?

:confused:

Maybe my math skills have gotten rusty but I think the answer to the math prob is 210 mL.

Well if you look the concentrations are different. So whatever you get for the 2nd conc, you have to make sure that it is equivalent to the 250mg/5mL conc to get the correct total volume.

Last edited:

Maybe my math skills have gotten rusty but I think the answer to the math prob is 210 mL.

Well if you look the concentrations are different. So whatever you get for the 2nd conc, you have to make sure that it is equivalent to the 250mg/5mL conc to get the correct total volume.

I got 525 ml. :xf:

(highlight to see answer)

210 is wrong
Yeah, you guys are using the Doxy that the drugstore *does not* have. Base the computation on what you have in stock. Conversion...

You are AWESOME :DDDDD Yay it was fun wasn't it
WAIT YOU NEED TO WRITE THE NEW SIG TOO :D thanks

New sig:

Swallow 25 ml (use included syringe) three times a day for 7 days

I can't remember what word we used for syringe. Might have been syringe, might have been soemthing else.

EDIT: my dosage forms prof would be so proud...

Last edited:
Oh noes, you showed everyone the answer! Change the font color to "background blue".

New sig:

Swallow 25 ml (use included syringe) three times a day for 7 days

I can't remember what word we used for syringe. Might have been syringe, might have been soemthing else.

EDIT: my dosage forms prof would be so proud...

lol @ swallow. we use take though

Hi.. :scared: no, 42 is wrong. Make sure you take note of the unit of measure. 2 tsps is 10 mL. But it will not be your sig.

You need to solve for the new sig using the one you have in the pharmacy. The 100mg/5mL is definitely needed as this is what you have available. Should I give the answer or ..? You can do it!!! :thumbup:

Lol, to be honest I look like a r***** now haha.

But yeah 525 mL is right. I don't know; hopefully I won't make that mistake in 30 minutes...

10 ml x 3 x 7 = 210 mL

Convert 210 mL into mg

Convert new mg value into new mL value using pharmacy's product.

End answer 525 mL.

Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Lol, to be honest I look like a ****** now haha.

But yeah 525 mL is right. I don't know; hopefully I won't make that mistake in 30 minutes...

10 ml x 3 x 7 = 210 mL

Convert 210 mL into mg

Convert new mg value into new mL value using pharmacy's product.

End answer 525 mL.

Wish me luck!

Huh? That seems overly complicated.

I did:

2 teaspoons x 250 mg/teaspoon x 3 per day x 7 days = 10500 mg (check to make sure all my my units cancel except mg, they do)

10500 mg x 5mls/100mg = 525 mls

Dimensional analysis kicks a**. As long as you end up with the units you are looking for (and every step is valid), you can't go wrong. I am not picking on you (we all make mistakes), but try to make canceling units your best friend. It will help you in every physical science class you take, and I think it helps to think this way (logically, I mean).

Good Luck!

Edit: It is not acceptable to say ****** like that. Shame on you.

OK can you try this one?

Doxycycline 250mg/5mL

Compute for total mL.

FIFTEEN HUNDRED MILLIGRAMS PER DAY OF DOXY???

what kind of practice question is this???

Next thing you're going to say is that the patient is 5 years old.

Passed yeaa

Well, the test was a little more difficult than I though in regards to policy and other things that didn't involve math or drugs.

Luckily there wasn't even one Generic/ Brand Name Drug questions at all..go figure.

And the test I completed was 90 questions, not 100. And I got 1 hour 40 minutes instead of 2 hours.

About 50% math; liked that part.

Thanks for the help SDN!

Arc

That's your weak spot, so that makes sense. Just don't fret. You're way overthinking this exam, which I suppose, in this line of work, we all do. You will come back here this evening and say, "Holy crap P4S, that was frakking easy!"

:D

Holy crap P4S, that was frakking easy!

Sort of haha, but no matter it's done. Thanks for your help!

Huh? That seems overly complicated.

I did:

2 teaspoons x 250 mg/teaspoon x 3 per day x 7 days = 10500 mg (check to make sure all my my units cancel except mg, they do)

10500 mg x 5mls/100mg = 525 mls

Dimensional analysis kicks a**. As long as you end up with the units you are looking for (and every step is valid), you can't go wrong. I am not picking on you (we all make mistakes), but try to make canceling units your best friend. It will help you in every physical science class you take, and I think it helps to think this way (logically, I mean).

Good Luck!

Edit: It is not acceptable to say ****** like that. Shame on you.

True. My bad.

Passed yeaa

Well, the test was a little more difficult than I though in regards to policy and other things that didn't involve math or drugs.

Luckily there wasn't even one Generic/ Brand Name Drug questions at all..go figure.

And the test I completed was 90 questions, not 100. And I got 1 hour 40 minutes instead of 2 hours.

About 50% math; liked that part.

Thanks for the help SDN!

Arc

Congrats!

FIFTEEN HUNDRED MILLIGRAMS PER DAY OF DOXY???

what kind of practice question is this???

Next thing you're going to say is that the patient is 5 years old.

Well it was silly. My question really was supposed to be Amox 1tsp only, tid. I amped it up for him come on :luck: Take lots of K2 afterwards. It depletes your k2 :)

GJ Arc!

210 is wrong
Yeah, you guys are using the Doxy that the drugstore *does not* have. Base the computation on what you have in stock. Conversion...

I would suggest that you re-read my post before telling me that I am wrong. I never said the TV was 210 mL. I said the answer to the math portion of it (based on the equation the previous user was following) was 210 mL

2 TSP X TID X 7 DAYS =
10mL X 3 X 7= 210mL

I even went as further as to edit my post to give the poster I was commenting on a little hint in order to arrive at the TOTAL VOLUME.

OK so I finally did the entire prob and where as other people used different methods to get their answer, here is mine:

210 mL X 250mg/5mL= 10500 mg

10500mg X 5mL/100 mg= 525 mL

I think my way was a little longer than others hehe.

PS. Congrats on passing.:thumbup: