6th year, what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twotogo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a Clinical Psych PhD student and am stuck. I missed my school's deadline to propose my dissertation and so can't apply for internship this fall. I'm in my 5th year, so this means I'll have to apply for internship the fall of my 6th year.

What jobs what you recommend, besides research, to make valuable use of this extra year?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks, WisNeuro! I'm thinking of finishing my dissertation and trying to do some type of work, since my spouse isn't all too happy with how much I've contributed financially, given how low grad school stipends are. So, although I'd rather just focus on my dissertation, it's not an option for me.

Although I have a research opportunity for next year, I no longer want to do research (and already have publications & presentations) and would rather do clinical work or even something unrelated to psychology. I was thinking maybe a private practice that is open to hiring/supervising post-MA students, or maybe even doing assessments, or work as an intake coordinator. Do you recommend any other clinically related positions or sources to go to figure out where these opportunities are?

A related question: Do you think it puts one at a disadvantage, when applying as a more advanced student?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your spouse will be more unhappy with you finishing internship and not being able to graduate/find work because you didn't finish your dissertation. With some discipline, you can knock it out relatively quickly. Spend 1-2, ten hour day per week with an assigned number of pages to write per day, writing in a lab.

Maybe pick up some psychometrician work, part time.

Reactions: 1 users
A related question: Do you think it puts one at a disadvantage, when applying as a more advanced student?
Few, if any.

Many programs have students apply in yr 6. Students who apply earlier than avg probably have a much harder time.

I had a gap year and focused on teaching, earning some extra money, and trying to relax a bit before the rush of internship and fellowship. I had my dissertation done, otherwise I would have focused on getting that as far as possible/done. Review committees tend to weight dissertation progress because no program wants their interns in post-internship limbo.

Few, if any.

I generally agree, with one huge exception. Sometimes I see applications with 6th+ year students who are just scraping the minimum hours for clinical work and have next to nothing for research. When there are holes in the application, being a 6+ year applicant is a HUGE disadvantage. Makes it seem like they do not know how to be efficient with their time.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much, everyone! Currently, I have 800+ clinical hours and 5 publications, 3 first author, so it's good to hear that I'm not at a disadvantage. I was worried because I worked so hard in other areas but failed to propose on time (although perhaps the two are related), so didn't know if this extra year will pull me down as an applicant.

Thanks so much, everyone! Currently, I have 800+ clinical hours and 5 publications, 3 first author, so it's good to hear that I'm not at a disadvantage. I was worried because I worked so hard in other areas but failed to propose on time (although perhaps the two are related), so didn't know if this extra year will pull me down as an applicant.
if thats where you're at, id focus as much as you can (within boundaries of not upsetting the spouse) for getting that dissertation done. It'll be easier to finish this year than on internship and will make your internship year (and post-doc search) easier.

Does your masters degree allow you to be licensed as anything in your state? Like can you get licensed as an LPC right now, or one test away, for example?

I didn't apply til my 7th year (6 is the average for my program, I stayed longer since I had a fellowship and a monster of a dissertation). Got zero questions about staying that long on internships and only one on post-doc interviews (and got an offer from the place that asked so clearly it wasn't a big concern). Relatively few questions about my dissertation timeline. Might have been slightly better if I was already done, but didn't seem expected. I'd just get cranking on it and make as much progress as you can this year.

If you are doing something completely unrelated to psychology all next year, that might raise some questions.

Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate your taking the time to help me out with this. I was stressing myself out and worrying so it was helpful to hear all your thoughts and to get a much clearer perspective on what an extra year means.

Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate your taking the time to help me out with this. I was stressing myself out and worrying so it was helpful to hear all your thoughts and to get a much clearer perspective on what an extra year means.
I vote for get the dissertation done. Speaking from experience, it only gets harder to finish if you aren't done before internship. Mainly because we moved for internship and then stayed there and the distance factor made it that much more difficult. Cost me two years instead of one and had to take a few high interest grad plus loans to tide us over. Just paid one of those two loans off completely and most of the second thanks to NHSC loan repayment funds.
:soexcited:

Reactions: 1 users