6x loupes unable to get used to dfv.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cosmeticdoc

Reaction score
I am not a dentist but in a similar field requiring 6x and 4.5x loupes. My mentor uses DFV so I ordered a pair of each. The rep doing my measurements was brand new and I was her first doctor.

I have not been able to get used to the loupes. Now it’s my first time using loupes but I am not a slow learner. It’s frustrating.

how do I know if there was an error made my the rep? Vs. just me not knowing how to get used to them.

Another senior doc uses zeiss with a head band.

please advise. I am posting here cause I know dentists use loupes a lot and when I was researching reviews that’s the health professionals I kept reading from.
Lower mag is not an option .
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Going from 0x to 6x is a pretty tough transition. Most dentists start with around 2.5-3.5x while in school and then move up from there. I'd recommend working with the 4.5x for a bit and then getting into the 6x as you are more comfortable.

My DFV required being sent back for adjustments twice due to poor initial measurements (was getting a "MasterCard") and even then it still wasn't perfect. I think with proper measurements and adjustments, you could get it worked out. I ended up getting Q-Optics and have been much happier with the quality/image/ect. I'm sure with enough attention, you can get your DFV to work properly.

Do you feel like your loupes are in focus, giving you one image? Are you using a strap around the back of your head? Are you using sufficient lighting? - The higher mag you use, more light is required.

I am just a dental student and a baby student at that so not sure how helpful I will be. I have a pair of DFV and Orascoptic and love my orascoptic and they are extremely clear and crisp. I have had to had my DFV adjusted multiple times now. I was able to try out the Omnioptic from orascoptic that you can interchange magnification and found the 4.5 and 5.5 magnification to be nice. I currently use the 4x and 5x on my eye zooms.

Members don't see this ad :)
My 6.0 X almost seems better than my 4.5X.

What is a "mastercard"?

How many measurements are there that they can mess up? Isnt inter pupillary distance the only measurement that are taken by them.?

Here is what I am having a problem with. When I get the field of view into focus, even the slightest movement throws off my focus. I thought they told me that there is a + or - inch on each side from the working distance but even a few centimeter movement is throwing off my focus.

The second thing I am having a very hard time with is depth perception. The operating point, just seems much more closer than it is in real life and despite multiple trying, I can't get used to it. You think maybe I selected the wrong working distance?

I also went with there Expanded field of view loupes. Maybe I should have gone with a more standard version? The expanded field of view maybe distorting something. "there is no such thing as a free lunch"

Also I have their head light + surgical room lights. So I don't think the lighting is the reason.

Does Orascoptic have a 6.0 mag?

My 6.0 X almost seems better than my 4.5X.

What is a "mastercard"?
When your field of view is similar to the mastercard logo, rather than a single circular image.

How many measurements are there that they can mess up? Isnt inter pupillary distance the only measurement that are taken by them.?

Here is what I am having a problem with. When I get the field of view into focus, even the slightest movement throws off my focus. I thought they told me that there is a + or - inch on each side from the working distance but even a few centimeter movement is throwing off my focus.

The second thing I am having a very hard time with is depth perception. The operating point, just seems much more closer than it is in real life and despite multiple trying, I can't get used to it. You think maybe I selected the wrong working distance?

I also went with there Expanded field of view loupes. Maybe I should have gone with a more standard version? The expanded field of view maybe distorting something. "there is no such thing as a free lunch"
The interpupillary distance is pretty much it, but getting each telescope to focus on a singular object is the issue. Likely the angulation is slightly skewed. I'd recommend meeting with your rep and explaining your issues and then send them back one at a time and see if they can resolve the issue. You've spent $4000+, the least they can do is get them dialed in for you.
With higher mag loupes, the field of view has a decreased range. My 3.5x had about +/- 6 inches, while my 4.5x have +/-3 inches.

Depth perception comes with time. It took me several months to really get used to it. The working distance can be adjusted if you feel that it's incorrect. Ideally, it should be where your body/arms are in a neutral position.

I think the expanded field is the only way to go, but I've never used any other type. So I can't provide much feedback with that.

I think the problem is the working distance. I set a working distance of 20 inches. Not sure why. I felt rushed during the appointment.
Now that I am playing around at home, I am more of a 16 or 17 inch working distance. I am 5 feet 8 inches tall.

Wonder if they will be open to changing this, I have had them for 7 months.

I think the measuring PD should not be done just by taking a photo with "their" instrument glasses. It's simply not accurate and has a lot of room for errors. Sadly most of the loupe companies are doing this since it costs less for them.

I think the problem is the working distance. I set a working distance of 20 inches. Not sure why. I felt rushed during the appointment.
Now that I am playing around at home, I am more of a 16 or 17 inch working distance. I am 5 feet 8 inches tall.

Wonder if they will be open to changing this, I have had them for 7 months.
They should be open to making adjustments for you. They may charge the cost of shipping or something, but I have found DFV to have reasonable customer service. I don't know what they change to adjust this, but I don't know why it would be a problem to help you.

If your first experience with loupes was with 6x lenses, there is going to be a pretty steep learning curve. Most dental students have enough difficulty getting acclimated to 2.5x lenses.

From an optics standpoint, when you’re working with higher magnification, issues with depth of field, working length, field of view, and lense alignment will be more obvious. I actually chose flip up loupes for this reason, it allowed me to play with pupillary distance and lense alignment/angulation while I was getting used to working with loupes. If your first loupes are a 6x through the lens, you have to expect that you’ll be making a few adjustments.

Reactions: 1 user