7 off 7 on night shift

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tcb2b

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here did this. I got offered a job that is 7 10 hour nights in row then 7 days off. The shift is from 11 to 9, so I work 70 hours and get paid for 80. Any thoughts from someone who has done this as far as how hard it is to convert back to days on your week off, eating schedule, ect. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone here did this. I got offered a job that is 7 10 hour nights in row then 7 days off. The shift is from 11 to 9, so I work 70 hours and get paid for 80. Any thoughts from someone who has done this as far as how hard it is to convert back to days on your week off, eating schedule, ect. thanks

I currently do it but I work 7 12s. I love it. The week you work, you can't do anything but sleep and eat, but it's less stressful. Converting to days is easy, because on the 7th day you pretty much are so tired you can sleep the whole day and night. The first night on I usually pull all nighter because I can't sleep the day before because I got a full night sleep the night before. Anyways its great but I can see how it would be tough if you had a family. I love being able to go away for a few days or weekend at last minute and not have to take vacation or ask someone to work. By the way I work wed to wed and I think thats the best, cause you can get cheaper flights for your week off.

Members don't see this ad :)
museabuse,

A couple questions for you.
When do you eat on your on week....do you eat breakfast still in morning or do you switch it up.
Do you feel uncomfortable being up literally 24 hours straight and checking RX's
What do you do on your off week I'm worried about getting bored

Thanks for the help

Hey TCB- I think THRIVING on the night shift is very dependent on the individual. I did a temp job of 7 on/7 off 10s for a few months to save money so I could travel after residency. For me it was-- okay. I def LOVED my off days. Lots of time to travel, rock climb, hike with my doggies, etc. However, I always felt a little "off". Like I was somewhat living in a zombie dream-like state. But, I do know lots of other pharmacist who would have it no other way. They enjoy nights and have no problem transitioning. So I guess you have to really feel it out for yourself. Good luck!

museabuse,

A couple questions for you.
When do you eat on your on week....do you eat breakfast still in morning or do you switch it up.
Do you feel uncomfortable being up literally 24 hours straight and checking RX's
What do you do on your off week I'm worried about getting bored

Thanks for the help

I eat breakfast when I get off work before I go to bed. As long as I get a full 8 hours of sleep(usually 10) I am fine to pull an allnighter(24 hrs), ofcourse I need caffiene to get me through it. I do get bored sometimes, I do try and cover other night pharms vacations, however lately they are in a no overtime mode and they don't have enough hours for floaters. I even offered to cover shifts without overtime pay but still a no go. Trying to get rid of my student loans, I'll feel more secure one I am debt free and have money banked.

Is this even legal?

In az they don't have to pay extra for overtime, infact when they do it's only 6 dollars, so not getting overtime pay isn't a big deal for me.

In az they don't have to pay extra for overtime, infact when they do it's only 6 dollars, so not getting overtime pay isn't a big deal for me.

Umm ... federal overtime laws apply everywhere don't they? I don't know if you can just choose to forgo overtime pay like that ... sounds like a big risk for your employer and a giant lawsuit waiting to happen.

Umm ... federal overtime laws apply everywhere don't they? I don't know if you can just choose to forgo overtime pay like that ... sounds like a big risk for your employer and a giant lawsuit waiting to happen.

I think in 2004 George bush signed a law that excludes pharmacist from the overtime law. I think we were labled as professionals and we make more than some maximum amount, therefore we are not entitled to overtime pay. many companies still pay however a lot have reduced the amount, not time and a half anymore. Except California cause they have strict labor laws. So there is nothing illegal about me working more than 40 hours and not getting any extra pay.

Last edited:
I got an offer for 7 on 7 off too for an inpatient position. Does anybody work retail on the week off? is that possible?

I got an offer for 7 on 7 off too for an inpatient position. Does anybody work retail on the week off? is that possible?
Depends on how much you value your sanity :laugh: Seriously though, I think it would be really, really difficult to be a good pharmacist working that many hours. JMO.

One of the pharmacist I work with did that to pay off loans faster and also so they would have to work FT in retail...

that way she could get some of the retail money without the FT hell....

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on how much you value your sanity :laugh: Seriously though, I think it would be really, really difficult to be a good pharmacist working that many hours. JMO.

depends on how busy the store is and how good you are...I dont think it is too many hrs....

70 + 30 = 100 / 2 = 50hrs/wk

Not bad....loans go bye bye

depends on how busy the store is and how good you are...I dont think it is too many hrs....

bankers, lawyers, and residents do it! why cant we?

While I can't debate your actual math, I can say that 70 hours a week is not at all the same as an average of 50. I work 4 10s and I'm seriously ready to be off by the end of that 4th day; I would hate to have to work 7 in a row like that AND then more on my days "off".

Yes the money would be great, I just don't think *I* would find it doable. I'm rather enjoying being in my PJs and bathrobe at 10:40. :D If you can, more power to ya; I would not be a pleasant person to be around working that much.

While I can't debate your actual math, I can say that 70 hours a week is not at all the same as an average of 50. I work 4 10s and I'm seriously ready to be off by the end of that 4th day; I would hate to have to work 7 in a row like that AND then more on my days "off".

Yes the money would be great, I just don't think *I* would find it doable. I'm rather enjoying being in my PJs and bathrobe at 10:40. :D If you can, more power to ya; I would not be a pleasant person to be around working that much.

that's what makes me more MD than PharmD....I love the grind...

I can work 60hrs easy.....doing some 12+hrs back to back to back...on 4-5hr sleep....a night.

Do work....

But, I agree you will have a better life!!

that's what makes me more MD than PharmD....I love the grind...

I can work 60hrs easy.....doing some 12+hrs back to back to back...on 4-5hr sleep....a night.

Do work....

But, I agree you will have a better life!!

Well, when we are young we think our body is indestructible. But my mom has always been dogging us all these years to take better care of our bodies. "Don't eat TV dinner, pizza, sleep so little... you'll pay for it when you are my age". Which everybody knows is true, but it's just so hard to cook healthy food on a daily basis... There is only so much physiological reserve, and debt will have to be repaid sooner or later.

Well, when we are young we think our body is indestructible. But my mom has always been dogging us all these years to take better care of our bodies. "Don't eat TV dinner, pizza, sleep so little... you'll pay for it when you are my age". Which everybody knows is true, but it's just so hard to cook healthy food on a daily basis... There is only so much physiological reserve, and debt will have to be repaid sooner or later.

I am 30 and still can go....

....but I do need to take better care of myself.

I plan to take it easier when I get older....45+ range.

I am interested in these types of hours (7 on/off).. where are u guys getting these offers..where/how should i look for these? jobs seem to be drying up.

There are some health-related issues to consider too.

http://oem.bmj.com/content/67/1/54.abstract

I dont have the link, but i remember a study somewhere showing that melatonin helped prevent some risks in shift workers. . Also, NOT switching your sleep schedule every week probably helps a lot. I think the general consensus is that your body can only adjust its sleep schedule by 1 hr or so per day. Its obviously not healthy to switch your sleep by 8-12 hrs every week, week after week. Im planning on working nights every week when i get out, and not switching my sleep cycle. be awake 12am-4pm , work 1-9 .. still have time all day every day to do stuff on weeks off.

Last edited:
I did 7 on and off overnights for 5 years. The thing is, if you think you might have a hard time, you will.

Funny thing is, people would "try" it and work for several rotations, a month or maybe a few months. You really don't feel the grind of it until about 2 years of doing it every rotation. Guy opposite of me has been doing it for probably 9 years now and he agrees. You really don't know "what it's like" just working it for a few months, you get into a whole different thing after a while.

Some folks can do it forever, that's good because we need them. I think I did it too long, the last year it really started wearing on me. It was worth it b/c I got to work a lot of OT at time and a half on my off weeks, but it was rough. It got a little weird actually. It got to where on my off week, as soon as the sun went down, I'd pass out and sleep until like 2 or 3am and then I was up. I'd be cleaning the house at 5am on my off weeks. As far as eating, I basically quit eating breakfast foods, and I still haven't gotten back in the habit. On my way home, I'd get a sandwich and drink a couple beers. Before work, I'd eat a hot pocket or something.

I would say if your questioning if you can do it, and aren't just a natural night owl, stay away. You don't want to burn any bridges with your employer if after 6 months you can't handle it anymore.

Right now I do 6p-4a overnights and its great. Sometimes they ask me to cover until 7a and by 6a Im dragging and about to pass out. Think its just habit that will pass? :confused:

As far as eating, I basically quit eating breakfast foods, and I still haven't gotten back in the habit. On my way home, I'd get a sandwich and drink a couple beers. Before work, I'd eat a hot pocket or something.
That makes me all sorts of queasy.

I really truly think that unless your SCN is non-functioning, switching back and forth like that would make you nuts after awhile. I'd find another night shift job for my off weeks before I'd do that. But then I have lots of sleep probs so I'm biased (and posting at 1 am after a long week).

i could probably do 7 on 7 off day shift..but id start to feel pretty cranky on the 5th day.. and i would star getting stressed on the 5th day of the off week preparing to get back to work.

i know i cant do graveyard. god bless those who do.

4 days 10 hour shift is the way to go.

That makes me all sorts of queasy.

I really truly think that unless your SCN is non-functioning, switching back and forth like that would make you nuts after awhile. I'd find another night shift job for my off weeks before I'd do that. But then I have lots of sleep probs so I'm biased (and posting at 1 am after a long week).

I can sleep when I am tired any time....:sleep:

4 days 10 hour shift is the way to go.
That's what I do now and it's really the best :thumbup: short of 2 days for 5 hours at FT pay :smuggrin: Those days are long but that 3rd weekend day is nice for catching up.

When you work 7 on 7 off is it 10 hour shift? do you get paid for 80 hours?

I've been doing it for over a year and love it. While I was training for my current job I hated having to work during the day.

My new job is from 9:45pm until 7:15am. I'm the only pharmacist in the hospital but I have 2 techs.

I only work 63 hours in 14 days, but get paid lots of bonus dollars to make it worth while. I love having 7 days off. Work weeks aren't bad. I sleep as late as I want with no alarm clock to rudely awaken me. Switching days and nights is not a problem for me. I'm also 53 years old, so it has nothing to do with age.