7 steps to MCAT success: how I scored in the 99th percentile

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toogoofy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, the SDN community has helped me a lot over the years and I'm hoping to give back a little. This is a talk I gave at a college about how I beasted the MCAT (99th percentile) even though I'm a naturally bad test taker with learning disabilities. I really hope to help the other bad test takers here. These are the 7 steps I go through for all big exams and how I handle medical school today.

Really want to start a conversation about this, let me know what you think. Your goals are worth it and you do have what it takes!

Overview:
My story has shown that test taking has never been about talent, it's about the decisions I make and the way I work.

1. RESEARCH: Find 3 people who think like you and got your goal score. If you do what they did you can get what they got. Ask every question imaginable. You couldn't imagine some of the things they do that make the difference.

2. PLAN: The perfect plan is an average of those 3 people's plans. Correct the weaknesses of each individual plan with the strengths of the other two's. make your schedule based on the work you need to accomplish per day, not time you are going to work.

3 EMERGENCY FUND: Take the first 2 weeks of studying to get 3 days ahead of your schedule. Gives you protection from falling behind and reduces stress A TON. It's not working any harder, its just doing the same work in a better order.

4. EXPERIMENT: For whatever weaknesses you have, change your approach to it each week and track your results with practice question scores. Keep changing until you get a jump in score to what you need.

5. GAINZ: Develop your methods in the last month. Get ready for huge score jump here.

6. WIN: Be confident that your preparation was beast and you have the right to win the day. Treat it like a practice test.

7. GIVE: Find a way to do something nice for others after the test. Studying is a lot of thinking of yourself and it feels great to do something for someone else.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users