8 on the verbal.... is this really bad??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pslee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started to study for mcat and just amazed how hard those passages are. I finished my verbal section and got 8 on it. I thank god i didn't get any lower than that, but is it really bad? I took an arco practice test.

Members don't see this ad.

pslee said:
I started to study for mcat and just amazed how hard those passages are. I finished my verbal section and got 8 on it. I thank god i didn't get any lower than that, but is it really bad? I took an arco practice test.
No it's not bad for a first shot...and it's practice.
You'll probably bring it up a few pnts before the real deal anyway.

Nah, it's not bad. You just started studying. There are many months for you to prepare for the MCAT - and you are preparing so don't worry. Yes, the passages are hard but with practice they will seem progressively easier and I'm sure that when the time comes you will do fine. If nothing else I think it's good that you didn't get a 14 because now you'll take your preparation seriously and you have a goal to shoot for!

desiredusername said:
Nah, it's not bad. You just started studying. There are many months for you to prepare for the MCAT - and you are preparing so don't worry. Yes, the passages are hard but with practice they will seem progressively easier and I'm sure that when the time comes you will do fine. If nothing else I think it's good that you didn't get a 14 because now you'll take your preparation seriously and you have a goal to shoot for!

Oh, common, 8? I would be happy. I got a very depressing 5, yeah yeah, I know
I'm in shock
Is it possible to bring up the score significantly in 2 months??? I'm starting to panic.
:mad: :idea: :eek: :confused: :(

Members don't see this ad :)
pslee 8 is good for a first run of vr, Id wouldn't use arco material though, i have one of their exam books and i did not find it very good. Kaplan, Princeton and EK and the AAMC material are the material most ppl suggest using for practice.

I agree. Use ARCO as a coaster for your coffee. Get EK or Kaplan verbal passages. Or AAMC. Verbal is by far the hardest to study for, the hardest to gauge your performance, and the hardest to feel "good" about during test day. It's easy to feel good about acing an acid/base question; not everyone can muster up the confidence to feel good about answering questions about the migration patterns of the great Siberian harbor seal.

8 is a solid place to start. You need to make about 6 less mistakes to get in the range of a 10. If you can eliminate 2 bad habits(problems with inference, not knowing how to approach detail questions, not using POE properly, missing words of negation,etc.) I'm sure that can easily lead to 4 less mistakes.

:luck:

Wow. Thank you so much for your replies. This is a wonderful forum. I was turned down a little bit because of the score but now i know that it is a good start. Thank you guys!!

anut04ka said:
Oh, come on, 8? I would be happy. I got a very depressing 5
Is it possible to bring up the score significantly in 2 months??? I'm starting to panic.
You've got time to improve your score. If you have questions about how then you should A) ask & B) search the forums. There is a wealth of information from people who have been in the exact same position as you. They did well and you can, too!
Also, if by April you don't feel as confident as you would like you can take the August MCAT administration.

desiredusername said:
You've got time to improve your score. If you have questions about how then you should A) ask & B) search the forums. There is a wealth of information from people who have been in the exact same position as you. They did well and you can, too!
Also, if by April you don't feel as confident as you would like you can take the August MCAT administration.

Thanks, I'll make a search and if the won't help I'll make a new thread, hope that people are not sick of answering question about improving verbal.