9/16 DAT breakdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knugget

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took the test today, glad to be done with this step.
Materials: Chad's, Destroyer, old AP bio book from 2007, KBB, DATqVault, Ochem Odyssey, CDR, CDM, CDP, Math Destroyer, Barron's DAT
Practice tests: 2 from Barron's, 1 from KBB, 7 Achiever tests, 2007 and 2009 ADA tests.

PA - 24
RC - 22
TS - 26
AA - 25

Started off summer continuing my research while going through Chad's videos (GC OC QR) whenever I had the time. Watched his videos and took notes. Highly recommended. After I proceeded to run through KBB, taking notes. I'd only recommend going through this if the material from Chad's videos seem foreign to you. Otherwise just read the book, do the examples to fortify your knowledge foundation. I did the same with my old AP bio book, taking notes on whatever I didn't know or things I couldn't easily recall.

I started doing the GC section from DAT Destroyer (DD). I would do the problems first then look at the answers. Spent a day doing as many problems as I could then the next couple of days correcting them and understanding why what was wrong and how my answer choice doesn't work out. After the day of studying DD was over, I would take a CDP test. Did the same with OC from DD. Then Bio. This probably took me about 2 weeks total. I went through the Odyssey and did the same thing. It took about an entire week to finish the book, doing a couple chapters a day.

About a month before my test I started doing practice tests. One every other day. After the tests, I would do a CDR and CDP. 2 weeks before test day, I started the Achievers. One everyday and a good couple of hours to understand what I got wrong. I spent the time after doing a practice test going over destroyer again. Week before my test I did Achievers again. At this point I bought DATqVault and only wished I had bought that earlier.

Bio: Bio is hit or miss, you know it or you don't. Don't spend too much time on this section, it would be wise to invest it in the chemistries. This section is really not random as people say. If you have enough materials you'll start to realize what's commonly asked and what can be expected of you. Read somewhere to split your science studies 80% GC OC and 20% bio, followed it and it worked out pretty well.

GC: It's a lot of concepts and very little calculations. Chad's to introduce/explain the concepts and DD to hammer it in. I went through DD GC twice and went over what I did wrong.

OC: Pretty much the same as GC. People have said DD and Odyssey are overkill and they are, but after doing them the reactions looked super familiar and I didn't have to waste time to figure the answer.

I ended the sciences a little early and cleared my mind for a minute or 2. Went back to my marked questions and was still stumped on the ones I marked.

PAT (24):Keyholes were harder than expected, even after achiever. I was so used to looking at clean and crisp pictures. I spent way too much time on keyholes. TFE wasn't too bad. Angles are angles. Used the hill technique. I was really short on time when I hit hole punching. The holes were smaller than an actual holes provided and it threw it me off a bit. Quickly counted the cubes and I had a huge urge to recount the figures. Pattern folding wasn't bad. There were an equal amount of colored/non colored figures.

Side note: I didn't like how the program didn't actually select the answer when you click on the text of the answer. I was also accustomed to Achiever's crossout feature and was sorely disappointed when my furious clicking didn't give a crossout of a wrong answer.

RC (22): Got some passage on Uclers, Hurriances, and a physics related passage. Read the passages and wrote down 1-2 words per paragraph AFTER I was done reading that paragraph.

QR: Did DD QR, Math destroyer, and CDM. From the beginning I timed myself to see how fast I would need to do each problem. I could barely finish the first time around.

Test center was kinda old. Computer was kinda laggy and even showed a (Not Responding) signal during my test. Had a banana and sips of Gatorade during the break. After the test was over, the lady who was processing me out noticed that I had two felt tip pens and a very messy/smeared plastic sheets. She then showed me that there was a fine tip marker that doesn't erase but you had to ASK for it. I like how she told me that AFTER my test, thanks lady. But to be fair, she wasn't the one processing me into the test.

This test is doable. Put in the time and work.Be consistent with your studies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
thanks ironjeff. i've read a ton of breakdowns to get a feel for study habits and how the test is like, and your breakdown was probably one of the more useful/memorable ones

thanks ironjeff. i've read a ton of breakdowns to get a feel for study habits and how the test is like, and your breakdown was probably one of the more useful/memorable ones

:D wow, thanks so much! I'm glad I helped you!