90% of future medical school graduates intend to avoid private practice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
http://www.beckersasc.com/asc-turna...sicians-intend-to-avoid-private-practice.html

Definately a dying breed of doctor still wants to do this. Still, I feel like patients and society will lose something special when the last one of us turns off the lights. Someone lock-up on the way out, please.

Members don't see this ad.

Nowadays, graduating residents want to get experience first, and they will always seek out employment first. After they reach a certain level of comfort, some of them go into the private practice arena. I'd say that the number is probably closer to 60/40. This was a survey done by an EMR company and 90% of those surveyed said that they wanted to seek out employment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nowadays, graduating residents want to get experience first, and they will always seek out employment first. After they reach a certain level of comfort, some of them go into the private practice arena. I'd say that the number is probably closer to 60/40. This was a survey done by an EMR company and 90% of those surveyed said that they wanted to seek out employment.
Lot of truth to this. The percentage of graduating residents that don't ever want to try private practice vs those that would like a few years as an employed physician to pay off loans and learn billing, before going out into the private world, are certainly different.

Part of it is the "sky is falling" panic that residents hear from their attendings, most of whom are not in private practice but employed in academia, who just repeat what they hear along with the chants of "private practice is dying" over and over again. I think reports of the death of private practice are premature. Employment is definitely the trend, but there's no guarantee it'll become 100% of the market and no guarantee the pendulum won't swing back if a large portion determine it's not as great or secure as they thought. We shall see.

Reactions: 1 user