90% sure I'm a re-applicant now...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j306c954

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the IS school I applied to (only applied IS this year due to my awful MCAT score), I was told by the Admissions Officer that the last round of interview invitations would go out this week. Have not received anything so I am going to go ahead and assume I did not even get offered an interview.

This was kind of expected (23 MCAT, late application submission), but I thought I at least had a chance because the rest of my application was golden (3.9 GPA, lots of honors, wrote a thesis, tons of EC's including being a counselor for the NSPL, shadow experience, great letters of rec, etc).

Of course I am going to retake the MCAT, and also apply early decision next time....but man I feel like crap right now :( especially at the thought of having to take the MCAT for the 3rd time (I swear I have MCAT PTSD)...

Just wondering what advice any of you other re-applicants have to offer (besides the obvious MCAT score problem)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For the IS school I applied to (only applied IS this year due to my awful MCAT score), I was told by the Admissions Officer that the last round of interview invitations would go out this week. Have not received anything so I am going to go ahead and assume I did not even get offered an interview.

This was kind of expected (23 MCAT, late application submission), but I thought I at least had a chance because the rest of my application was golden (3.9 GPA, lots of honors, wrote a thesis, tons of EC's including being a counselor for the NSPL, shadow experience, great letters of rec, etc).

Of course I am going to retake the MCAT, and also apply early decision next time....but man I feel like crap right now :( especially at the thought of having to take the MCAT for the 3rd time (I swear I have MCAT PTSD)...

Is there a question? Fix your MCAT or pursue another profession. Also remember this year, the MCAT is a whole new ballgame so adjust accordingly. Unfortunately, as Goro, one of the ADCOM's who posts here likes to say "We're addicted to standardized tests in the medical field." The MCAT is the first of many. If you can't prepare for them and get a decent score, then it's unlikely you will have success in medical school anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there a question? Fix your MCAT or pursue another profession. Also remember this year, the MCAT is a whole new ballgame so adjust accordingly. Unfortunately, as Goro, one of the ADCOM's who posts here likes to say "We're addicted to standardized tests in the medical field." The MCAT is the first of many. If you can't prepare for them and get a decent score, then it's unlikely you will have success in medical school anyway.
I apologize if there is a rule against posting anything that is not a question, but I guess I was trying to gain some advice or input from those in similar situations as far as re-applying though. Not trying to complain, but thanks for the "tough love" (seriously). I am going to do everything in my power to fix my MCAT score. Thankfully, my degree is in Behavioral Neuroscience and I have a very thorough background on the new topics that were added. I looked over my friend's prep books for the new MCAT and was extremely familiar with the added material. My real issue will by the increased length, need to work on my test-taking stamina...

Members don't see this ad :)
I apologize if there is a rule against posting anything that is not a question, but I guess I was trying to gain some advice or input from those in similar situations as far as re-applying though. Not trying to complain, but thanks for the "tough love" (seriously). I am going to do everything in my power to fix my MCAT score. Thankfully, my degree is in Behavioral Neuroscience and I have a very thorough background on the new topics that were added. I looked over my friend's prep books for the new MCAT and was extremely familiar with the added material. My real issue will by the increased length, need to work on my test-taking stamina...

Glad to hear the new MCAT will be to your benefit. The only other option if you can't crack it would be to apply to a SMP that is pretty much an audition to medical school. I had a friend that did one when he had the grades but could only get a 25 on the MCAT. He's currently at medical school now (not mine, unfortunately as he was a great guy). Personally, I think cracking the MCAT is a cheaper and easier option than a 30K SMP. For you, it seems that's all that's needed.

Glad to hear the new MCAT will be to your benefit. The only other option if you can't crack it would be to apply to a SMP that is pretty much an audition to medical school. I had a friend that did one when he had the grades but could only get a 25 on the MCAT. He's currently at medical school now (not mine, unfortunately as he was a great guy). Personally, I think cracking the MCAT is a cheaper and easier option than a 30K SMP. For you, it seems that's all that's needed.
Thank you. Were you a re-applicant?

Hi! I was a reapplicant this year, and I've had a pretty successful cycle. In fact, most (but not all) of my friends who are in medical school were reapplicants.

I highly recommend contacting the schools you applied to this year for file reviews. Make sure you include in your request that you are going to retake the MCAT but that you also want to use the next year to make other gains in the field. You might have weaknesses in your ECs that you didn't even know you had, and the file review will definitely open that up. Some schools are more receptive to this than others. I asked 5 of the eight schools I applied to last year for file reviews, I got them from three, I got a response from the fourth saying "maybe later," and one school completely ignored the email. Usually this has to happen after interview season (because right now there's still a chance). Every school does this differently (some by email, some over the phone, some in person). Expect to call more than once.

Also, I know I was super panicked about re-applicant stigma. Don't be. You lived, you learned, you get to try again now! When you're asked about being a reapplicant (because thats one med schools really love to dig at it) just talk about how grateful you are for all of the things you've learned in the past year (because you will be). Use the year to relax and build up your app. I actually highlighted my reapplicant status on my app. A lot had changed and I had grown a lot from the failure. I don't know if this is a good idea (I know its not recommended) but it has worked for me. I feel like they're going to know one way or the other, might as well own up to it.

Overall, I wanted to say good luck! Don't get too down on yourself, and I hope your MCAT goes well!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! I was a reapplicant this year, and I've had a pretty successful cycle. In fact, most (but not all) of my friends who are in medical school were reapplicants.

I highly recommend contacting the schools you applied to this year for file reviews. Make sure you include in your request that you are going to retake the MCAT but that you also want to use the next year to make other gains in the field. You might have weaknesses in your ECs that you didn't even know you had, and the file review will definitely open that up. Some schools are more receptive to this than others. I asked 5 of the eight schools I applied to last year for file reviews, I got them from three, I got a response from the fourth saying "maybe later," and one school completely ignored the email. Usually this has to happen after interview season (because right now there's still a chance). Every school does this differently (some by email, some over the phone, some in person). Expect to call more than once.

Also, I know I was super panicked about re-applicant stigma. Don't be. You lived, you learned, you get to try again now! When you're asked about being a reapplicant (because thats one med schools really love to dig at it) just talk about how grateful you are for all of the things you've learned in the past year (because you will be). Use the year to relax and build up your app. I actually highlighted my reapplicant status on my app. A lot had changed and I had grown a lot from the failure. I don't know if this is a good idea (I know its not recommended) but it has worked for me. I feel like they're going to know one way or the other, might as well own up to it.

Overall, I wanted to say good luck! Don't get too down on yourself, and I hope your MCAT goes well!
Wow, thank you for the detailed response! I definitely plan on asking them for a file review. Can't hurt!

Fix your MCAT. Apply EDP. Apply early. Apply DO, because if your state school doesn't take you via EDP, there's no way in hell someone else will unless you substantially improve your MCAT (30+).

Yup yup, doing all of the above. Definitely not applying OOS unless I get a good MCAT score (whatever that is considered now with the changed scaling)

Definitely retake, don't be discouraged about taking it a 3rd time. I had to take it 4 times to get the score I wanted and although it probably raised eyebrows at schools I applied to, it worked out in the end. I would absolutely look into applying to DO schools as well, lots of people get in with 23-24+'s with the right experience under their belt. Buckle down and give yourself time to study, I had to quit my job and study 7 hours a day for ~ 3 months straight using the SN2 study schedule.

I also second requesting rejection feedback, it opened my eyes to weaknesses in my applications I didn't even know I had.