90% to pass a course in the program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tk1tpod

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys..I'm just wondering if your program requires you to achieve 90% or higher in some courses in order to pass? If so what courses are they?

Many people like to think that once you get in, it's all about passing with at least a 70%. But that's not true at my school. We have 3 courses during our first semester that requires you to get at least 90% on the final exam to pass the course. Those courses for me were pharmaceutical calculations, therapeutic agents, and medical terminology (to pass our pathophysiology course).

Members don't see this ad.

They couldn't do that at WVU. When my class took pharmacology, it was so tough that 2 people out of 85 got As (90% of better). The class mean was 75% for the course.

Hi guys..I'm just wondering if your program requires you to achieve 90% or higher in some courses in order to pass? If so what courses are they?

Many people like to think that once you get in, it's all about passing with at least a 70%. But that's not true at my school. We have 3 courses during our first semester that requires you to get at least 90% on the final exam to pass the course. Those courses for me were pharmaceutical calculations, therapeutic agents, and medical terminology (to pass our pathophysiology course).

yeesh, sounds like a tuition eater to me. what school is this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Every test result follows a bell curve. Any teacher worth their salt can make the mean 95 or 50 depending on how they phrase the questions.

If every pharmacy class needed a 90 to pass at my school (including prepharm), I know of only 1 person in my year (not me) that would still be here.

If every pharmacy class needed a 90 to pass at my school (including prepharm), I know of only 1 person in my year (not me) that would still be here.

Please read my post, any test can be designed so even you can get a 90 if that's what the teacher wants.

I remember my first test in Bio 101. The grades were posted on the wall (sorry, pre-internet) outside the professors office... I was very worried so delayed a day or so before checking my grade. When I went up I was horrified to find I had a 71. The professor walked by and saw my expression and said: "What are you complaining about, you got an A-".

The teacher can make it come out anyway they want.

Just so you know, I am aware there are some schools that suck kids in and then fail them later in order to steal their money. They should be put in jail, just like the crooked bankers....

I'm thinking the OP means straight scale 90%...curved wouldn't be an issue as all you need to do is score in the upper quartile compared to your peers.

I'm thinking the OP means straight scale 90%...curved wouldn't be an issue as all you need to do is score in the upper quartile compared to your peers.

I understand. All I am telling you is they can make the test so only a ***** would get less than 90%. They can make it come out any way they like....

Those aren't hard courses. I think just about everyone got 100% on calculations. You have to pass that just to be a tech. It's not hard. We didn't have classes in the others. If you couldn't read the terminology, then you couldn't do the work. You were expected to learn it on your own.

Once you start taking the hard classes, you won't need to make 90%

I think it's just nice to have a cushion for error...say you're having an off day, will an 85% straight scale on hypothetical in-class cases/calculations really indicate that you're going to be a failure at being a pharmacist?

I'm all for high standards, but...c'mon now.

Correct me if I'm wrong as I don't attend either of these schools, but Pacific U and USN have the following grading system: Students learn one subject at a time (rather than having multiple courses) and have tests every other Friday. If you pass the test with 90% or above, you get the next Monday off. If you get below 90%, you have to come in for remediation the next Monday. Students who keep having problems have special things they have to do over the summers to be able to progress.

Just so you know, I am aware there are some schools that suck kids in and then fail them later in order to steal their money. They should be put in jail, just like the crooked bankers....

It makes me sad when some 6 year programs do that. They rationalize it however, as having a "chance" to become a pharmacist, they're lazy, they're not cut out for it (which may or may not be true, but certainly the schools don't help you) or that pharmacy's not for everyone. I still think that by accepting a class, you should make a commitment to retain as many students as possible and not just profit by making the environment miserable enough so that students will leave out of their own volition unless they're forced out, which makes it easier on behalf of the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's just nice to have a cushion for error...say you're having an off day, will an 85% straight scale on hypothetical in-class cases/calculations really indicate that you're going to be a failure at being a pharmacist?

I'm all for high standards, but...c'mon now.

It really depends on the types of calculations. Dosing calculations is one thing where you gotta be good, but I suck when it comes to figuring out how many milliequivalents are in something (which is important for electrolytes).

It makes me sad when some 6 year programs do that. They rationalize it however, as having a "chance" to become a pharmacist, they're lazy, they're not cut out for it (which may or may not be true, but certainly the schools don't help you) or that pharmacy's not for everyone. I still think that by accepting a class, you should make a commitment to retain as many students as possible and not just profit by making the environment miserable enough so that students will leave out of their own volition unless they're forced out, which makes it easier on behalf of the school.

That's because your ethical......

Well, there were competencies where we had to achieve 90% or better to pass, but I don't think there were exams like that... still, our pass rate started with 75% or 80% depending on the department offering the course, and A started at 95%... which is why I get shocked when I hear someone had 85% and that was an A, there are schools that do that too... Also, never once was in a class where grades were curved. You get what you get, simple as that. Because if you patient is dead, he is dead, also very simple.

Both USN & Pacific U follow this model (I go to Pac U) - Some adjustments are made to the course to allow for students to have a 90% competency...

We take a group test, immediately following our individual test on friday. If I group scores greater than 95% (with 6 people in the group, it is more than reasonable) - we all get a + 5%. So typically it is 85% to pass.

Our program follows a "stripped down" model of pharmacy. This is VERY different from traditional programs that teach you a decent amount about a LOT of subjects. We learn a whole LOT about very specific subjects. Its geared at making you competent in the majority of important subjects.

I would wager a hefty bet that my peers are not nearly as well versed at TPN / nutritional support as those from USC (or other big name schools). We hardly touched it (aside from calculations). I could find a hundred subjects where this is true.

That being said, we stack up well with our peers. Last year, we sat a standardized test that was given to 25+ schools around the nation. We scored in the upper % (not bad for a school less than 3 yrs old). Our representatives for the Clinical skills competition placed in the top 10 at ASHP mid years (again, not bad for being here 3 years). I could go on, but most of this is subjective.

It is not for everyone - Last year, the entire P2 class with the exception of 2 students failed the GI block. This year a third of the class failed. The condensed time frame makes even the simple subjects difficult from a time management standpoint. All in all though, I am happy where I am at.

Just wanted to rep for the newbie schools on the block...

~above~

Also, never once was in a class where grades were curved. You get what you get, simple as that. Because if you patient is dead, he is dead, also very simple.

Then it would be pass/fail..... or would be OK if only 85% of your patients survived?

Do you understand what a curve is?

Then it would be pass/fail..... or would be OK if only 85% of your patients survived?

I *think* that the passing rate at UCSF is 60%? At UofM it's 70%. I guess that's why the answer to all our exams is 'refer to the primary care provider'!

90% = No curve... A big part of the concept is removing student competition. There is not a limit on the number of students that can pass an exam.

In short, I am not competing with my peers for the limited number of A's available.

~above~

Pacific in Oregon does have a 90% requirement for every class.