9th Semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MatttF

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will I experience any negative effects if I take a 9th semester in college? Do med schools look down upon that or anything? Also, if my last semester at school was fall (as opposed to spring like most people would) would I be able to apply at med school right after graduating or would I need to wait until the following spring?

Members don't see this ad.

1) Will I experience any negative effects if I take a 9th semester in college?
2) Do med schools look down upon that or anything?
3) Also, if my last semester at school was fall (as opposed to spring like most people would) would I be able to apply at med school right after graduating or would I need to wait until the following spring?
1) Only if your grades drop and you don't engage in pertinent activities.
2) No.
3) You would have to wait until the following spring for AMCAS schools. AACOMAS DO schools have a longer application cycle, but applying in say, December, would still negatively affect your success rate. I can't comment on TMDSAS schools (public schools in Texas).

Okay, the reason I'm planning on taking a 9th semester is because I want to study abroad and I don't want to have to load up my schedule completely full with hard biochemistry classes just to graduate exactly on time

No worries. Fifth year seniors are pretty thick on the ground, whether it be for your reasons, to improve a GPA with more coursework, a change in major (or two), or because cash-strapped universities don't offer sufficient sections of popular/required courses for everyone to register for them in a timely manner.