A.A. program questions..please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zabispurs

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm currently a Pre-dental, graduated in May w/ a Bachelors in Biology. I have never been so lost in my life as I have been in the two or three months. I always thought that I wanted to pursue Dentistry and lately (while I'm applying) I've become more skeptical, and really turned on about going into a PA program, or even better yet an Anesthesiologist Assistant Program. From what "I've read" it seems very cool and will be shadowing an Anesthesiologist sometime this week. Anyways here a couple questions I'm hoping you guys can answer..
(Please I do not want go into a CRNA vs AA War..planning to go back and taking basic courses in Anatomy and Chemistry to get my Nursing degree is not an option)

1: What do you guys think about the Anesthesiologist Assistant job outlook? I personally believe it will be accepted by states in the West Coast soon and their will be a huge demand for A.A.

2: Are A.A. accepted in Canada? Does anyone know? I'm not from Canada, but interested in possibly living there down the road..

3: How easy is it to find a job after graduating and finishing the programs.

Members don't see this ad.

check out aamessageboard.com, you'll get a lot more responses there.

just a warning, as usual on any topic of AA's there are a handful of CRNAs who constantly post BS to stop more AAs from entering mid-level anesthesia.

Hey guys,
I'm currently a Pre-dental, graduated in May w/ a Bachelors in Biology. I have never been so lost in my life as I have been in the two or three months. I always thought that I wanted to pursue Dentistry and lately (while I'm applying) I've become more skeptical, and really turned on about going into a PA program, or even better yet an Anesthesiologist Assistant Program. From what "I've read" it seems very cool and will be shadowing an Anesthesiologist sometime this week. Anyways here a couple questions I'm hoping you guys can answer..
(Please I do not want go into a CRNA vs AA War..planning to go back and taking basic courses in Anatomy and Chemistry to get my Nursing degree is not an option)

1: What do you guys think about the Anesthesiologist Assistant job outlook? I personally believe it will be accepted by states in the West Coast soon and their will be a huge demand for A.A.

2: Are A.A. accepted in Canada? Does anyone know? I'm not from Canada, but interested in possibly living there down the road..

The AA job outlook is bright - every graduate last year had their choice of mulitple job offers.

There are no AA's in Canada, nor are there CRNA's. There are rumblings about CRNA's there, and there is an "AA" there that is strictly a technical assisting position with a pretty short educational track. Since they use the "AA" moniker, there is often confusion between the two, and a number of people want to know if these people qualify as AA's in the US. They do not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Money is great ~100K+ to start. Down falls, you will be an assistant all your life, you will always be an AA, so even with 20 years of experience you can be bossed around by a newly minted young Anes. Doc.

Although you start high in salary 100-120K and it would be extremely easy to find a job, you wont be making much more in the future to come, meaning not too much upward mobility. That's what sucks about jobs like PAs, CRNAs, and AA, they start high ain salary and interesting, but no sovereignty or upward mobility. Not to put any field down, they are all noble careers but extremely difficult to expand your scope, your sovereignty, etc... Just my 2 cents... If i was you, I would stick to your dental plans or consider med school. Even if you hate either one later on in life, you will have plenty more opportunities to use your degree for something else, such as Pharmceutical companies, consulting, medical device exec, etc...

Reactions: 1 user
Money is great ~100K+ to start. Down falls, you will be an assistant all your life, you will always be an AA, so even with 20 years of experience you can be bossed around by a newly minted young Anes. Doc.

Although you start high in salary 100-120K and it would be extremely easy to find a job, you wont be making much more in the future to come, meaning not too much upward mobility. That's what sucks about jobs like PAs, CRNAs, and AA, they start high ain salary and interesting, but no sovereignty or upward mobility. Not to put any field down, they are all noble careers but extremely difficult to expand your scope, your sovereignty, etc... Just my 2 cents... If i was you, I would stick to your dental plans or consider med school. Even if you hate either one later on in life, you will have plenty more opportunities to use your degree for something else, such as Pharmceutical companies, consulting, medical device exec, etc...

Uh, there are AA's, CRNA's, PA's, and other mid-level providers that would probably disagree with you. Most of us are very happy with our careers (I've been doing this more than 25 years). And "newly minted young Anes. Doc." are usually smart enough to also heed the voice of experience.

Uh, there are AA's, CRNA's, PA's, and other mid-level providers that would probably disagree with you. Most of us are very happy with our careers (I've been doing this more than 25 years). And "newly minted young Anes. Doc." are usually smart enough to also heed the voice of experience.

I didnt say PAs were not happy. I have a lot PA friends that are very happy and PA is an awesome field. Also, i did not say some Anes. Docs would not ask for help, its just a personal opinion that i probably would not like a career were it is a dead end in terms of upward mobility and being a life-long "assistant". No insult on any field intended, different strokes for different folks. Any and every healthcare field is noble in its own way. :thumbup:

I didnt say PAs were not happy. I have a lot PA friends that are very happy and PA is an awesome field. Also, i did not say some Anes. Docs would not ask for help, its just a personal opinion that i probably would not like a career were it is a dead end in terms of upward mobility and being a life-long "assistant". No insult on any field intended, different strokes for different folks. Any and every healthcare field is noble in its own way. :thumbup:

funny

how noble.......wait didnt you ask -->
What is the highest paid health care career? Example is it HealthCare Admins, Nursing? PA? PT? AA? etc.... What is the least required time for the best investment (compensationwise) after graduation?

lol

Reactions: 1 user