A Career in Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Simplicty22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm stuck between choosing a career in optometry or special education. I have been interested in both careers for a few years now, searching about their descriptions and outlooks. I'm curious about the biology of the eye, along with the diseases and treatments that affects it. What makes me hesitant about the profession is the years of schooling (8 years), along with the stability of the job after optometry school. I'm also curious in taking courses that will lead me to a teaching degree, as well as learning how to teach and deal with kids who are disabled (mentally, physically). But I'm not sure what my reaction will be, when I actually have to teach.
What is it like to be an optometrist? What are the positives and negatives (if any) to the career? What is your advice about this profession? I've googled these questions, but I thought it would be much better if I asked from this website. Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

There's a special subsection of optometry that work with tougher pediatric patients.
Your skills will be highly valued if you decided to combine your two interests!

http://www.children-special-needs.org/parenting/pediatric_opthalmologist.html

Edit: It's a site that advocates pediatric optometry, not ophthalmology. Whoever is in charge of the website must've named/spelled the site wrong...

Reactions: 1 user