A case of lymphoma...Jan 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDP76

Reaction score
Hi, can you suggest your recommendation...Thank you!!

Patient is a 73-year-old male with a history of stage III diffuse large B-cell lymphoma including multiple bilateral cervical, mediastinal, bilateral lungs, para-aortic, pelvic lymph nodes, right scrotal mass all involved by DLBCL that was initially diagnosed post biopsy of retroperitoneal mass. Bone marrow biopsy and CSF fluid examination noted to be negative. Patient completed R-CHOP x6 cycles and also received treatment with high dose intrathecal methotrexate having completed 4 cycles of planned 6 and discontinued further MTX due to acute kidney injury. Subsequent PET scan done noted complete response from systemic treatment without any evidence of activity. Patient had complete resolution of his chest abdomen and pelvis lymph nodes including organs. On clinical examination the only pertinent finding is left testicular mass, that is firm to palpation, however without any activity on pet imaging. Contralateral testis is normal to palpation.

NCCN guidelines recommendation favors observation after a complete clinical response. However should this patient receive prophylactic scrotal radiation ? would you do anything different ?

Members don't see this ad.

It is surprising that R orchidectomy was not done at diagnosis. Isn't it in the guidelines?
Now you need total scrotal irradiation which is technically not prophylactic, but definitive/consolidative. I guess <=30 Gy will do the trick.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, scrotal irradiation is the way to go now. I would give 30 Gy.
Spare him some time and just give him 30/3, he won't be fathering any children with 73 and a low testosterone will supress his clinically inapparent prostate cancer... :happy::happy::happy:

"Bilateral lungs" probably means stage IV, but that's just "academic". :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your replies... I really appreciate your help.

Thank you for the above...but the initial disease involvement was in several nodal and extra nodal sites as well. There were several small lesions. I dont think I could chase all these lesions. I was planning to treat only scrotum as suggested above and several other Rad oncs I discussed had the similar suggestion. But thank you for your input..

Reactions: 1 user