A couple matching in different years.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeamRuxin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all my fiance and I are both caribbean IMG's. She recently matched a prelim position and a PGY-2 Position in PMNR. And I would like to match into IM.

We recently got engaged and were wondering what would be the best strategy for matching in the same area?

Would contacting her PD be the best way to go ?

Or would maybe contacting IM PD's in the area and explaining my situation to them be better?

Or just apply and see what happens?

I really don't know how to tackle this situation and have yet to meet anyone personally who has dealt with this, any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

First of all my fiance and I are both caribbean IMG's. She recently matched a prelim position and a PGY-2 Position in PMNR. And I would like to match into IM.

We recently got engaged and were wondering what would be the best strategy for matching in the same area?

Or would maybe contacting IM PD's in the area and explaining my situation to them be better?

I really don't know how to tackle this situation and have yet to meet anyone personally who has dealt with this, any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

A lot of this depends on how many programs there are in the region, and how competitive a Caribbean applicant you are. She could certainly feel out her PD, but it may not be the best way to make a first impression. I see no downside to letting local places you are applying to know you gave a local fiancé, but whether this has an impact depends on how strong an applicant you are. You ay want to broaden y our search to both IM and eg FP if there aren't enough local IM programs.

A lot of this depends on how many programs there are in the region, and how competitive a Caribbean applicant you are. She could certainly feel out her PD, but it may not be the best way to make a first impression. I see no downside to letting local places you are applying to know you gave a local fiancé, but whether this has an impact depends on how strong an applicant you are. You ay want to broaden y our search to both IM and eg FP if there aren't enough local IM programs.
Hi thanks for the reply. I would not say I am a stellar applicant. Step 1 score is in the 220's and I am currently studying for step 2. I am doing research, and I have submitted 2 case reports (not published yet, fingers crossed.) There are approximately 20+ IM programs in the area.

Hi thanks for the reply. I would not say I am a stellar applicant. Step 1 score is in the 220's and I am currently studying for step 2. I am doing research, and I have submitted 2 case reports (not published yet, fingers crossed.) There are approximately 20+ IM programs in the area.

I would apply to all 20 and a handful of nonIM things in the region too. Let them know your fiancé connection to the region. And leverage whatever connections the person you are researching for might have.

I would recommend doing an away rotation at your fiancé's hospital, if you can. You want to really rock it, so do it at a time when your skills are sharpest.

My wife and I matched in consecutive years. She worked very hard to establish rapport with the program at my hospital. She also applied to all the progs in the metro area in her field. She did an away, worked very hard during her month, and emailed the PD regularly. I also made an appointment with her PD as a gesture - not sure if it made a huge difference. Academic medicine is a small world. Have your fiancee talk to her PD, so they can talk to the IM PD. Also apply to all the IM programs nearby. Let them know you have a fiancee in town.
No.