A couple questions about how schools review transcripts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jared Smith

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I plan on finishing up my pre-reqs while studying for the OAT in the fall. I have a couple questions regarding how colleges view certain things on a transcript.

1. Taking summer classes at a university that is not as rigorous as the one I graduated from. It is still a credible 4-year university, it was just convenient to take because it was at home where I spent my summers.
2. Having to retake a course. I know that the GPA will only incorporate the good grade, how detrimental is it for a college to see you had to retake a pre-requisite?
3. My pre-req GPA isn't great...I have AP credit for psychology... should I retake it at the college level so that it will boost my GPA?

My grades are on the lower end of the spectrum, so I thought it would be a good idea to take Anatomy and Physiology this summer to boost my GPA and allow myself to become eligible to apply to more schools.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

If you retake a course at a different institution, they will not replace the grade on OptomCAS. Instead, both grades are included in your GPA.

Thanks for the input, I should have clarified though... I took the original and the retake at the same school. It was some other courses (Calculus, Microbiology, Orgo) that I have taken at the other school.