A couple questions about Letter of Recs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedhelp1234

Reaction score
I recently graduated this past June, and I have a few professors who I believe can write me strong letters. I will be take 3 gap years to gain the right experience, so I was wondering when the best time would be for me to ask for a letter.

Science professor 1: I took a lower division science class with this professor but did not interact that much in office hours/class. But I TA'd for them in my final two quarters of my senior year. They agreed to write me a strong letter of rec and mentioned that I can reach out when I'm closer to applying.

Science professor 2: I took three upper division classes with them this past year, but I received a B in two of their classes and an A in my final quarter with them. I went to most office hours and they know who I am. I will also be TAing for one of their summer classes. Is it okay to ask for a letter if I got a B in two of their classes?

Non-science professor: I have one who I can ask, but I haven't reached out yet.

Because I will be applying two years from now, should my professors be writing it now and I store it on Interfolio or should they write it when I'm closer to applying?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry by bank do you mean I will be able to use their letters when I apply? Would it be better to ask them now or closer to when I apply?

I'm taking 3 gap years because I don't have any clinical experience or research experience, so I want to take the next 2 years to build those experiences. I will be starting a scribe job at a clinic and am in the process of starting at a research lab (both in related fields). During undergrad I was a TA for about a year. I also did lot of non-clinical volunteering and am on the board of two non-profits. Lot of my volunteering was working one-on-one with refugees and homeless clients and connecting them to resources.

My goal is to pursue a career combing both academic medicine and community health as my experiences and interests have motivated that. Do you think this would be an okay plan? Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Yes. Ask the professors. They problem I see is that with such a long gap time, you have to take the MCAT near the end of that period. as most schools want scores within 3 years of matriculation.

You don't need thousands of hours of clinical experience, and at least 1 year full-time scribing should be enough. Other shadowing if you aren't scribing in primary care/ER should be considered.

For any nontraditional application, you have to show you can transition back to the classroom. Life also goes on, and you never know what could happen.
career combing both academic medicine and community health
Is your research opportunity Community Health? You imply so.

In general, if you have no issues with grades, it sounds fine. Keep doing non clinical community service addressing your service orientation and is not connected to your pending research. The less it looks like you are double dipping for "the checklist" the better.