A Day in the Life of a Vet Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Haven't been in the forums for a while because I've been adjusting to vet school/life overseas, but I'll give my "typical" schedule so far (like DVMDream said, we don't really have a typical schedule at Edinburgh; it changes from day to day and from week to week):

Usually wake up between around 630 if I'm feeling motivated to workout (which I'm trying to be better about now that I've gotten into the swing of things) or reset my alarm for 730 if I'm feeling lazy. I then take a super quick shower and pack up whatever books/food/etc I'll need for the day. Hop on the bus about 830 (it literally stops right in front of my flat) and I'm at school by 845.

Most mornings us first years have lectures from 9-11. After that, it really differs from day to day depending on what group you're in. Some days we have one practical (lab) until about 1 and then we're done for the day. Other days we have a break from 11-2 and then a practical from 2-4 or 5. And then some days we have practicals from 11-1 and from 2-5. It gets a bit confusing sometimes not having a set weekly schedule, but sometimes it's nice because we'll have a couple of 9-5 days, but then the other days will be really light. This week and last week I was done with school by 11am on Friday. And we always have Wednesday afternoons off, too, so that's nice.

After I'm done with classes for the day, I usually come back to my flat and at least try to do something school related. Sometimes that is condensing notes, sometimes it means doing a lab write up, and sometimes it means just going through the anatomy diagrams I've drawn. Some days I get in the zone and I can study for hours. Some days I reread the notes from lectures in about 10 minutes and I'm done. Just depends on how I'm feeling. More than anything I just make sure to keep up with my anatomy and histology lab books and I keep diagrams and flashcards with me so that I can be productive with my down time (if I feel like it... hehe). I've always been the type to put off studying until the day or two before the exam, but I know that I can't really do that here (especially since we don't have any exams until february and then again until may... and they just cover everything). But I think that by just spending a small amount of time every day, I'm actually way more confident in how well I know the material. :)

Anyway, I don't just study/go to class all of the time. Like I said, I try to workout in the mornings. If that doesn't happen, I try to do something after classes. I especially like running on some of the trails near my flat. There are some lovely views of the hills and it just makes me happy. I am also a class rep and part of the climbing club. And anatomy club starts this wednesday! I'm really excited about that one. I also have gotten into watching a few British TV shows with my flatmates and I try to stay up to date on a couple of my favorite American shows. (I need the mindlessness of watching TV to balance out all of the thinking I have to do.)

I usually try to be in bed by 11 every night (but obviously not tonight... it's 1230 here right now :( ).

Overall, vet school is going pretty well so far. It's a little overwhelming sometimes when I step back and think about how much I am expected to be learning, but doing a little each day is working well for me so far. Like others have said, though, it differs for everybody. I, for one, hate missing lectures because ours are not recorded and I'm a very auditory learner. However, I know some people that are much better off just staying at home and reading the notes themselves. You just have to figure out what works for you!

Members don't see this ad.

One thing I will say about the vet student schedule: it is VERY hard to accomplish things that need to be done during normal business hours. Any time I need to call an office/business, it's always a debate whether I should attempt to do it on my lunch break (inevitably the people I need to speak to are always on their lunch breaks, too), wait until a Wednesday morning when we don't have class until 9:30 am and hope the conversation doesn't take more than 20 minutes, or skip out on a class during the day. Same goes for doctor's appointments, visiting certain businesses, etc. It's a huge PITA.

I looked at my response from last year...things have changed! :laugh:

This semester is essentially ten times more crazy and stressful than all the other semesters I've had thus far. My current schedule is a lack of a schedule. I wake up earlier in the mornings for various reasons; the morning of exams I try to give myself at least an extra hour before I'd normally wake up to pass through as much as I can one more time. Our surgery course really throws a wrench into things, too. This week I'm surgeon so have to be in to SOAP our dog ~7:30am every ady until it leaves (next Tues). When I'm anesthetist we need to be in by 6:30am on surgery days. Our professors seem to think that scheduling exams outside of their allotted time block is totally fine, too, so we've missed some sleep in times that we normally get when there isn't an exam. I've been staying later at school in the evenings mostly because of having to let the surgery dog out one last time in the evening and living 20mins away, I don't want to have to drive back in after I get home. I expect it will be a bit lighter for me when I'm not surgeon and tons better next semester when surgery is done! Our labs seem to go the full three hours (or at least closer to) compared to most of the first and second year labs (except anatomy of course) which adds to departure time in the evening. Then I come home, eat, talk to my SO for a while and study/do whatever work needs to be done for the next day. I've been going to bed later than usual.

Also, we have so many more quizzes/exams this semester than we've ever had before. I can really tell a difference in my mental health between this semester and others - haven't had much time to myself and I feel frazzled, stressed, out of sorts and just beat.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a general question, to represent the fitness enthusiast out there, do you think you would have time to workout at the gym and the like for an hour at least during a typical week? I typically like to spend 1.5-2 hours. Or would it be too tiring?

Also had a general question! how involved are you guys usually in vet student-related clubs/organizations?

In regards to time to work out, it depends on the priority you give that in your life. There are girls in my class who run an hour to two hours very regularly and they do fine and seem happy. I personally don't make time for more than a 20-30 minute walk/jog with my dog, but I really function best on a full 8 hours of sleep so I make getting to bed early a priority. It may take sacrifices but if it's something you really want/need to do you'll be okay.

About clubs, at my school most clubs have one-ish meeting a month and an occasional wet lab. First year I joined lots (maybe like 7?) and as I've gotten further in the program I've cut back to only joining clubs I'm really interested in. This past year I was an officer in our path club and that was my only club, which I didn't regret at all. I still went to other clubs stuff occasionally, they just give members preference for space in labs and such. I know people who didn't do the club thing at all, some who were members but not officers with a bigger time commitment, and people more like me who are really active in a couple...just depends on your personality, what you want to do within vet med, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Just a general question, to represent the fitness enthusiast out there, do you think you would have time to workout at the gym and the like for an hour at least during a typical week? I typically like to spend 1.5-2 hours. Or would it be too tiring?

Several people in my class work out almost every day. They go to the gym before classes and some return for more after classes.

It's all about making the most of your time.

I know people that work out during lunch. I know people that make the time to work out after school or before school. I know people that participate in marathons, half-marathons, etc. I even know of a classmate that did a triathlon. You can make it work out, if you wish to make it work out.

I usually go during lunch and bang out a 45 minute workout. It was a tough adjustment for me first year because I did CrossFit but can't afford it while in school/commute the 3 miles to the closest gym. If I can't go during lunch, I try to go after class and usually try to keep it to an hour just because I hate waiting for equipment and we get tend to get out when the gym is busiest. I still never managed to get into a great routine, but it was better than first year and I plan on working on it again this fall.

Club wise, I'm pretty involved. I'm the president of one club current and was on the committee for the exotics symposium we held this year. I'm also super active in our Shelter Medicine Club and help out at TNRs, etc. I'm members of quite a few other clubs, but not as active. You kind of pick which ones work with your schedules and interest.

Reactions: 1 user

Life is all about prioritizing. If exercising is a priority for you, then you will be able to find time to do it. Regardless of what people tell you (and how we all feel sometimes), there is time in vet school to do other things.

Also had a general question! how involved are you guys usually in vet student-related clubs/organizations?

My usual recommendation is to join anything interesting. (Big caveat: that assumes clubs work at other places pretty much like they do here.) For us, most clubs charge in the $15/yr range. Some are a bit more, some are free. If you go to 3 lunch meetings for food you've made back that money. There are rarely any time commitments to just being a member: you participate as you want. Some clubs doing high-demand activities (like a spay-neuter lab or something) may give preference to people who are more active, but meh... whatever. (Next caveat: Becoming an officer in a club can mean a time commitment from practically nothing to many hours of work every week.)

Then, when you hit second year, you can be a bit more choosy: re-join the clubs that are free and the clubs that you found yourself participating in first year.

The way I see it, there's not really a significant downside to joining clubs, other than the cost (which you usually can recoup in lunch meetings).

Consider becoming an officer. You can make great faculty contacts, and it looks good on a resume.

Reactions: 1 user
Life is all about prioritizing. If exercising is a priority for you, then you will be able to find time to do it. Regardless of what people tell you (and how we all feel sometimes), there is time in vet school to do other things.

My usual recommendation is to join anything interesting. (Big caveat: that assumes clubs work at other places pretty much like they do here.) For us, most clubs charge in the $15/yr range. Some are a bit more, some are free. If you go to 3 lunch meetings for food you've made back that money. There are rarely any time commitments to just being a member: you participate as you want. Some clubs doing high-demand activities (like a spay-neuter lab or something) may give preference to people who are more active, but meh... whatever. (Next caveat: Becoming an officer in a club can mean a time commitment from practically nothing to many hours of work every week.)

Then, when you hit second year, you can be a bit more choosy: re-join the clubs that are free and the clubs that you found yourself participating in first year.

The way I see it, there's not really a significant downside to joining clubs, other than the cost (which you usually can recoup in lunch meetings).

Consider becoming an officer. You can make great faculty contacts, and it looks good on a resume.
They charge you. Wow that sucks. It is all free at penn. And lunch meetings are for anyone in the school for the most part so more freebies. Guess that ridiculous tuition balances ...but we raise lots of money for these clubs thru auction and other stuff.

They charge you. Wow that sucks. It is all free at penn. And lunch meetings are for anyone in the school for the most part so more freebies. Guess that ridiculous tuition balances ...but we raise lots of money for these clubs thru auction and other stuff.

I think that's also partially why they try to push SCAVMA membership soo much. Think a good bit of it goes to covering the club fees.

I think that's also partially why they try to push SCAVMA membership soo much. Think a good bit of it goes to covering the club fees.
Here you have to be a SCAVMA member in good standing to be in clubs...and clubs still charge like $15 a year for membership.