A few questions about Psychiatry Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc29

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just matched into a Psychiatry residency program and I have a few questions regarding Psych boards. I am sorry if my questions are weird.
1. In which PG year can you take Psychiatry board exam in order to be board certified?
2. Do you recommend me to start studying for Psych boards during PGY-1 since I am done with step 3 last year? If so, which resources should I use?
3. Can you only apply for fellowship after you are board certified?
4. What should I do if I want to go for fellowship later? Should I participate in research projects/articles etc?

Any other useful information will be appreciated.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. September after you Graduate, so about 2.5 months after you finish
2. yes, start with a major general text book and a pharm book
3. no, almost no fellowship applicants are board certified
4. yes, just know that almost no one does a fellowship once they start working.

1. In which PG year can you take Psychiatry board exam in order to be board certified? 5
2. Do you recommend me to start studying for Psych boards during PGY-1 since I am done with step 3 last year? No you should do as much reading as you can to best care for your patients and be the best psychiatrist you can If so, which resources should I use? have a look at the stickies on articles/books
3. Can you only apply for fellowship after you are board certified? No, you apply for fellowshipin PGY3 or -4 depending on the field
4. What should I do if I want to go for fellowship later? Should I participate in research projects/articles etc? Most fellowships require you to have a pulse and little else. some fellowships like geriatrics and psychosomatics are woefully uncompetitive. forensics is probably the most competitive but there are many open spots even at good programs for that.