A few questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OATP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I’m trying to submit my application soon, but I’m running into a lot of things that are getting me confused, and I was hoping you guys might be able to help me. I apologize if these have been asked before, or if they’re stupid questions—I tried looking around for the answers, but couldn’t find anything to satisfy me. I also just had some questions about the schools and stuff at the bottom.

1) Is there any way that I can designate volunteer work, research, or internships that take place in the future? I will be doing all of these my senior year, so obviously now I have no hours logged. Should I put in a future date and leave the hours blank, or just not put anything at all?

2) Is there anywhere to designate a minor on the application?

3) How long does it take for your scores to show up after you take the DAT (I took the test on June 29), or is this something that comes up after I submit?

4) Is there anywhere to attach or include a resume? Similarly, I have an online portfolio—is there anywhere to possibly create a link to this?

5) Would intramural sports be considered an extracurricular activity, or are they looking more for clubs and organizations?

6) I know there are some sections on the application that aren’t required (Disadvantaged Status, FAP). Is it recommended to fill these out anyway, or is it fine just to leave them completely blank?

7) For the letters of recommendation, am I just supposed to have my professors/whoever write a general letter (not geared toward a specific school), and submit that? Will the ones submitted to AADSAS be used for all schools (like I end up having four total letters written, submit them, and that’s all I need to do)?

I am applying to these schools:

University of Alabama at Birmingham (ALA)
University of Connecticut (CONN)
University of Kentucky (UK)
University of Louisville (UL)
Boston University Henry M Goldman School of Dental Medicine (BU)
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC)
Creighton University (CRE)
Columbia University College of Dental Medicine (CUL)
University at Buffalo (BUF)
The Maurice H. Kornberg School of Dentistry, Temple University (TEMP)
Medical University of South Carolina (MSC)
West Virginia University (WVA)

-DAT:
AA: 20; TS: 19 (PA: 17, QR: 14, RC: 28, Bio: 19, GC: 21, OC: 16) (I plan on retaking when I can)
-GPA:
3.9/3.82 (Overall/Total Science)
-South Carolina Resident
-Non-minority

Given my choices and considering the above information, would any of my choices be a waste of money to apply to? Like any schools that mostly accept minorities, etc? I looked at all of their sites, but I didn’t see anything that alerted me on the admissions pages, and Predents has been down for a while.

Thanks in advance, and I apologize for having so many questions!

Members don't see this ad.

1) Is there any way that I can designate volunteer work, research, or internships that take place in the future? I will be doing all of these my senior year, so obviously now I have no hours logged. Should I put in a future date and leave the hours blank, or just not put anything at all?

I would not list anything that I had not yet done in that section simpy because if something were not to follow through and you did get the interview and the interviewer asked you about it, you wouldn't have anything to say. Maybe in your personal statement you can address some of these "planned" activities.

2) Is there anywhere to designate a minor on the application?

I can't remember precisely, but I don't think so. If there was no question or space in the section where you talk about degrees earned, then I would mention the minor in my personal statement. Just think of your personal statement as a way to say not only why you want to be a dentist, but any loose ends on your app.

3) How long does it take for your scores to show up after you take the DAT (I took the test on June 29), or is this something that comes up after I submit?

The DAT score reporting to AADSAS is new, so you may have to contact AADSAS or maybe search around the forum to see if anyone else has asked this question. Last year you just wrote in your scores and had the official reports sent to each school.

4) Is there anywhere to attach or include a resume? Similarly, I have an online portfolio—is there anywhere to possibly create a link to this?

Nope, sorry, no way to include links...the extracurricular, work experience, etc section should have basically everything that a resume has on it an more. I know when I filled out one of the secondary applications, they asked for publications I had been a part of, and I provided the link there along with the paper copy.

5) Would intramural sports be considered an extracurricular activity, or are they looking more for clubs and organizations?

I would consider intramural sports an extracurricular. If you were able to keep that nice GPA and also play sports during school it shows that you can handle a lot on your plate. List it ALL!!

6) I know there are some sections on the application that aren't required (Disadvantaged Status, FAP). Is it recommended to fill these out anyway, or is it fine just to leave them completely blank?

If it doesn't apply to you, I would just put n/a.

7) For the letters of recommendation, am I just supposed to have my professors/whoever write a general letter (not geared toward a specific school), and submit that? Will the ones submitted to AADSAS be used for all schools (like I end up having four total letters written, submit them, and that's all I need to do)?

Yes the recommendation is just a letter in general, not for a specific school because it is sent to several school. If your school has a commitee, then one letter is supposed to come from there. If you are like me, and your school has no commitee, then you have to ask individual professors to write the letters for you, and they submit them to AADSAS directly, either electronically or by paper. As soon as you provide the professors/dentist information, if you choose electronic, a link will be sent to the email address that you put down for them with further instruction. I did have problems with the electronic option, not sending the link to one of my evaluators. I even called AADSAS and they said they would send the link again...It never got to her...So i just printed out the form and provided her with the addressed envelope.

I am applying to these schools:

University of Alabama at Birmingham (ALA)
University of Connecticut (CONN)
University of Kentucky (UK)
University of Louisville (UL)
Boston University Henry M Goldman School of Dental Medicine (BU)
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC)
Creighton University (CRE)
Columbia University College of Dental Medicine (CUL)
University at Buffalo (BUF)
The Maurice H. Kornberg School of Dentistry, Temple University (TEMP)
Medical University of South Carolina (MSC)
West Virginia University (WVA)

-DAT:
AA: 20; TS: 19 (PA: 17, QR: 14, RC: 28, Bio: 19, GC: 21, OC: 16) (I plan on retaking when I can)
-GPA:
3.9/3.82 (Overall/Total Science)
-South Carolina Resident
-Non-minority

Given my choices and considering the above information, would any of my choices be a waste of money to apply to? Like any schools that mostly accept minorities, etc? I looked at all of their sites, but I didn't see anything that alerted me on the admissions pages, and Predents has been down for a while.

The only schools that mostly accept minorities are the HBCUs...There are only two in the country and neither school is on your list.

Thanks in advance, and I apologize for having so many questions![/QUOTE]

Okay, thank you so much, I really appreciate it!