A few residency questions from a pre-pod

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedGuy222

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, have a few questions I'd like answered if possible:

#1) In general, how many hours should one expect to work as a resident? I know it varies from residency to residency, but in general is some semblance of work/life balance possible?

#2) How competitive is it to get a residency in California (again, in general)?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, have a few questions I'd like answered if possible:

#1) In general, how many hours should one expect to work as a resident? I know it varies from residency to residency, but in general is some semblance of work/life balance possible?

This is really an impossible question to answer in a general sense except to say that I have seen every type of schedule imaginable.

Some programs have 7am-2pm hours most days with no call, some programs have 5am-7pm most days with tons of call, most programs are somewhere in between

This is really an impossible question to answer in a general sense except to say that I have seen every type of schedule imaginable.

Some programs have 7am-2pm hours most days with no call, some programs have 5am-7pm most days with tons of call, most programs are somewhere in between

So it's reasonable to say most podiatry residents are working around 60-80 hours a week?

Members don't see this ad :)
At my program we start at 7:30-4ish, but if clinic is super busy then it can go past 4pm, usually 4:30pm at the latest. But I have heard from student that was visiting that she visited a program that held some clinic hrs from 5-7pm on certain days. Fridays can be up in the air for an end time bc we have our weekly didactics (journal club, cases, cadaver lab or whatever) or if clinic runs late. Call schedule not too bad, but being a 1st yr I get tagged for holiday coverage along with my co-resident.

Call schedule can vary from place to place as well, depending on # of residents, who's making the schedule, etc. Call could be every other week, every 4 weeks, etc. Most times first yr residents will get hit with a lot of call and/or most of the holiday coverage---once again program dependent, then it kind of dwindles down 2nd & 3rd yr. For example, if there are only 3 residents total at a program then it may be safe to assume that you may pull call more than a program that may have 6 residents.

So like everyone has said the hours can vary depending on the program. It is what it is as a resident. You have to put in the time regardless of the hours, if this is what you want to do.

I have time to do things & have fun because I make it a priority. I'm not going to be miserable and burnout. Just took a day off last week to spend a long weekend in Florida. :)

Last edited:
So it's reasonable to say most podiatry residents are working around 60-80 hours a week?
That's probably on the upper end of normal. I'd say most work between 50-60 on the average week, probably more as a first year and less as a third. That's without call, which can add a lot of hours or very few. Remember that you'll still have duty hour limits (80 hours a week which is averaged over a 4 week period).

We're basically 6am-5pm for the most part, some days longer, some shorter. That's before you add in call and any other activities (add-on cases, workshops, academics, research, after-hours reading, etc). You've got to come in to residency with the expectation to work hard during whatever hours you have. In my opinion, being called lazy is one of the worst epithets you can be labeled with as a resident.

That's probably on the upper end of normal. I'd say most work between 50-60 on the average week, probably more as a first year and less as a third. That's without call, which can add a lot of hours or very few. Remember that you'll still have duty hour limits (80 hours a week which is averaged over a 4 week period).

We're basically 6am-5pm for the most part, some days longer, some shorter. That's before you add in call and any other activities (add-on cases, workshops, academics, research, after-hours reading, etc). You've got to come in to residency with the expectation to work hard during whatever hours you have. In my opinion, being called lazy is one of the worst epithets you can be labeled with as a resident.

^this. its only 3 years and you're done and most podiatrists dont seem to be overwhelmed when working after residency.

my only question to you pod students/residents out there, do they make you do a lot of work/hussle in the 60-80 hours or is it a like "calm" 60-80 schedule (not like lazy but not like running around like crazy schedule). My brother is a pharmacist thinking of going into MD/DO bc even though he works 40 hours per week, he feels like those are some intense 40 hours whereas he feels some physicians working 60 hours seem more relaxed even if they are working their butts off.

sorry to bump this thread but can anyone answer my questions in the previous post?

Yes they make you do a lot of work. Any decent, competitive surgical residency will expect you to work hard. Its not easy and IMO residency shouldn't be. When you have a bunch of people to round on in AM including discharges and admits, before a long day of surgery, often times at different places, and your on call for ER and consults during all of this, its very stressful and "intense." Then you get home at 10pm and get into bed, only to get up and head back to ER for another call. Having said that, some float through residency and try to do the bare minimum. The harder you work the more you will be prepared for when done.

thanks for the response JR2011, I am by no means wanting to be lazy but want to be aware of the rigors of residency. would you say a lot of pod residencies are equal or is there a higher level of "good" residencies and "bad" residencies compared to other medical specialties.

I can't speak for all other medical specialties. In my opinion there is drastic variety between residencies out there for Foot and Ankle Training. I would say there are bad, good and very good ones.