A Home for the "Versus" Threads!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dopaminophile

nerd extraordinaire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As May creeps up on us, those with multiple acceptances are in the excellent position to torment over which school to attend. Perhaps we can have a centralized location for all such "school x vs school y" talk. That way the lucky few can get others' input and withdraw from schools sooner so we can move those waitlists along!

I'll go first:

EVMS (out of state) vs. Loyola

Both are going to put me at 200k+ in debt but I really like both programs. My hesitation with Loyola is the religious affiliation, which results in a medical ethics policy that differs greatly from my own. I think it also precludes them from persuing certain lines of research. I think their hospitals are superior to EVMS's and perhaps they are more financially sound.

I love EVMS's standardized patient program. It's very heavily primary care and I'm not entirely sure that I want to go that route. They do have a strong surgery program (according to SDN) and that's the direction in which I think I'm headed. Generally, EVMS students seem like they're more my type of people... politically, socially and otherwise.

However, the reason I'm looking closest at those two schools is that both student bodies seem to really LOVE their schools. I'm not a huge city kindof a guy, so I'm hesitant to go to Chicago. Norfolk sounds like it's a nice, medium sized city and it gets the good pathology from a huge area.

Right now, I'm leaning towards EVMS, but I am swinging back and forth like an inverted cycloid.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

dopaminophile said:
As May creeps up on us, those with multiple acceptances are in the excellent position to torment over which school to attend.

Ohhh the torment +pity+

kwgold said:
Ohhh the torment +pity+

c'mon it's a sincere concern; lots of people are trying to decide one school over another

Members don't see this ad :)
kwgold said:
Ohhh the torment +pity+

I never said it was a bad thing to have to torment over. :rolleyes:

someone please bump the Cornell/Columbia one from last year to here if you can find it...i can't

Bigsheed920 said:
cool....where'd u get that icon playing guitar
it's on their smilie list..see the second page (more); and it's actually a violin :D

that would be a violin... and if you click the reply button rather than the quick reply button, you have a bunch of choices under "[More]"

for example:

:barf: :clap: :horns: :hardy: +pity+ :wow: +pissed+ +pad+ :spam:

haha...whoops psycho doc....my mind is playing tricks on me....thanks 4 da correction anyhow

:clap:

I must say this clapping character is quite disturbing

You have listed more "pros" for EVMS than for Loyola.

Kinda sounds like you MAY have already made you choice (deep in your psyche!) :idea:

I have no real advice....No matter which one you choose

Good Fortune

+pity+ :clap: :wow: +pissed+

These two are my favorite :barf: :p

I like the 1, 2 combo with barf and wow... the timing is just about right.

:barf::wow:

dopaminophile said:

hahaha

Members don't see this ad :)
I am trying to get the barf to go on the stick out tongue....

That would be COOL...

Won't work though

:barf::p

Hey, so much for This versus That!!! :hardy: This is Funny!!! :thumbup:

Okay.. since this thread has flown way way off topic anyway... I'm going to throw a question out there:

Why does labeling a thread "official" make it better? Do people think that there's actually some accreditation process for threads? Maybe they come with a certificate of authenticity. Why aren't there more unofficial threads?

I just want to make the "Official most pointless thread in existence"

edit: maybe I have :smuggrin:

dopaminophile said:

aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... This is too darn funny. :horns:

dopaminophile said:

:eek: really gross

Maybe a thread has to go to a post-bac program at a well known school to get that certificate of authenticity.

The other threads go to a community college or just some crappy state school...!!!! :smuggrin:

Psycho Doctor said:
:eek: really gross
I rarely have anything substantive, so I shoot for shocking if at all possible.

+pissed+

Is that a Mac or a PC he's throwing?

:D

It does have the blue screen of death.........

dopaminophile said:
Okay.. since this thread has flown way way off topic anyway... I'm going to throw a question out there:

Why does labeling a thread "official" make it better? Do people think that there's actually some accreditation process for threads? Maybe they come with a certificate of authenticity. Why aren't there more unofficial threads?

I just want to make the "Official most pointless thread in existence"

edit: maybe I have :smuggrin:
hehe :thumbup:

once there are lots of 'official' threads, you'll have to designate the 'official official' thread to distinguish between those not quite so official :p

dopaminophile said:
It does have the blue screen of death.........
:laugh: how interesting, i never noticed that before

dopaminophile said:

oh man.... so i'm a substitute teacher, and here I am in class.. with the students (freshman are working on worksheets...) and I saw this post and actually started laughing... hahaha, oh man. they think i'm dumb now :) lol. but this is HILARIOUS.

lol...

Bigsheed920 said:
:clap:

i'm actually quite fond of him, but another site with smilies has a cool waving one which i really like to say "hi" or "welcome" to newcomers

virilep said:
oh man.... so i'm a substitute teacher, and here I am in class.. with the students (freshman are working on worksheets...) and I saw this post and actually started laughing... hahaha, oh man. they think i'm dumb now :) lol. but this is HILARIOUS.

lol...
**gasp** you go on sdn while student teaching?? maybe you shou.ld show them the barb and wow guys and see what they think

dopaminophile said:
I rarely have anything substantive, so I shoot for shocking if at all possible.
:thumbup: well that's always good. anyway you offer lots of good posts

Psycho Doctor said:
**gasp** you go on sdn while student teaching?? maybe you shou.ld show them the barb and wow guys and see what they think
He may then lose the awe and respect that the substitute teacher by nature commands!

virilep said:

lol...
VIrilep u r going to med school next year?

dopaminophile said:
He may then lose the awe and respect that the substitute teacher by nature commands!
since when did substitute teachers command respect? never in my schools! but we were always happy to have one :thumbup: and i'm sure virilep is the best

Bigsheed920 said:
VIrilep u r going to med school next year?
hahah, i'm not a student teacher, i'm a substitute teacher. yeahp, goin to med school in august. holla!~

and to PD. my kids actually like me and I haven't had a single kid disrepect me. my motto is if I treat them like adults, they'll be adults. too many subs go in there and not like the kids. and plus they're all over 50... kids don't like that.

Psycho Doctor said:
since when did substitute teachers command respect? never in my schools! but we were always happy to have one :thumbup: and i'm sure virilep is the best
I need a sarcasm button on my computer.

We should have a universal something to signify sarcasm on SDN. A keyword or something.... so many flame wars get started because inflection can't be carried over the internet. Maybe we could do it like...

!*!*!He may then lose the respect....*!*!*

Then everybody will laugh and clap their hands in wonderful peaceful harmony! We could eliminate animosity and flaming and competition among pre-meds! The love would spread to med students and doctors then to politics and every man, woman, and child will live in a harmonious utopia! It will be glooooorious.

dopaminophile said:

We should have a universal something to signify sarcasm on SDN. A keyword or something.... so many flame wars get started because inflection can't be carried over the internet. Maybe we could do it like...

Then everybody will laugh and clap their hands in wonderful peaceful harmony! We could eliminate animosity and flaming and competition among pre-meds! The love would spread to med students and doctors then to politics and every man, woman, and child will live in a harmonious utopia! It will be glooooorious.

!*!*! ... And then we could all hold hands and sing "Kumbaya"...*!*!*

:love:

sunnyjohn said:
!*!*! ... And then we could all hold hands and sing "Kumbaya"...*!*!*

:love:
!*!*! ... and barf in our neighbors' mouths... *!*!*

dopaminophile said:

hahaha, so u tryin to say he's being sarcastic about me being a good sub???? lol. just jokin

Where did everyone go????

virilep said:
hahah, i'm not a student teacher, i'm a substitute teacher. yeahp, goin to med school in august. holla!~

and to PD. my kids actually like me and I haven't had a single kid disrepect me. my motto is if I treat them like adults, they'll be adults. too many subs go in there and not like the kids. and plus they're all over 50... kids don't like that.
i had no doubt that your kids liked you. i just remember hs kids took advantage of substitute teachers b/c they could get away with it. We used to play pranks on them. :thumbup: But yea i can see how they'd like a young saubstitute teacher.

sunnyjohn said:
Where did everyone go????

action-smiley-066.gif

i would probably go to evms.

sounds like you would too.

dopaminophile said:

i agree and i actually laughed out loud at the end of your dreamy post.

and yea no one ever gets my intent. :rolleyes: that is supposed to be the sarcasm button

dopaminophile said:
oh and i actually knew you were sarcastic there but i guess my answer didn't indicate such

crimsoncash said:
oh that's the wave i like.

tell me how you can post these from other forums...i know i'm really really really stupid :oops:

Psycho Doctor said:
oh that's the wave i like.

tell me how you can post these from other forums...i know i'm really really really stupid :oops:

Yah i like that one too. To post a picture/gif, all you do is add img tags to the link:

and presto!

It simplifies things. For example, suppose you're reading a thread, and someone is really stinking up the room. To identify the culprit, this will suffice:

Fartsmilie.gif

crimsoncash said:
Yah i like that one too. To post a picture/gif, all you do is add img tags to the link:

and presto!

It simplifies things. For example, suppose you're reading a thread, and someone is really stinking up the room. To identify the culprit, this will suffice:

Fartsmilie.gif
yea that's one of the ones i have too. mine aren't on a link, it's a page of smilies like on sdn. try these: http://www.hepcnet.net/smilieprinterversion.html

crimsoncash said:

and presto!

Fartsmilie.gif

OKAY..Lol

crimsoncash said:
classic! i'll have to bookmark that page. thanks.
i have it book marked but i don't know how to use them, please teach me!