A little advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MTB

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if anyone would give their opinion on my situation. I am very interested in becoming an optometrist, but I'm not sure if it is a realistic goal for me. I graduated with a Liberal arts degree with a 2.9 GPA. I still have to do my prereqs and I plan on kicking butt as I am alot more motivated than I was during undergrad. I plan on doing them at a local community college to save $. Do I have a decent chance if I kick butt on the prereqs? Any advice would be really appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say you have a very good chance. make sure you work for or volunteer for an OD (or two) so you can get some good letters. :) Also, talk to some admission councelors about which CC classes would be the best to take. I did this and found out some of the ones I was going to enroll for wouldnt count and I should go to X other CC and take Y class instead. (they were GREAT help!)

Schools want to see you're motivated to go back to school. go to the CC (when you find out which one you should go to), kick major butt, study for the OAT and kick its butt too !!

I did something similar to you.. although I wasn't liberal arts. Good luck.. and let me know if you have other questions. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
MTB said:
Hello, I was wondering if anyone would give their opinion on my situation. I am very interested in becoming an optometrist, but I'm not sure if it is a realistic goal for me. I graduated with a Liberal arts degree with a 2.9 GPA. I still have to do my prereqs and I plan on kicking butt as I am alot more motivated than I was during undergrad. I plan on doing them at a local community college to save $. Do I have a decent chance if I kick butt on the prereqs? Any advice would be really appreciated.

I graduated with a liberal arts degree first. I then went back to school, finished all my pre-reqs, took my OAT exam and this year i'll begin opt. school.
its a long journey my friend ( and at times very frustrating, especially organic chemistry! what a nightmare of a class). but if you have the will, you'll find the way. good luck and feel free to ask me anything as I see you're about to do something i've already been through.

Thankyou for the advice, I really appreciate it. Mike