A little advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyWannabe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been banging my head against this problem for a couple months now:

I'm one of those non-Psychology undergrad people and have had troubled getting admission to a clinical program, so I've decided to broaden my search to include non-clinical PhDs. However, I'm having some trouble finding a program with faculty that match my interests, which mainly have to do with PTSD and anxiety/depression and interventions making use of a more integrative medicine approach. Does anyone have any suggestions for programs I could look at? There's too many out there!!

Also, I'm planning on broadening my search even more. I'm considering social work and programs like that. Ideally I ultimately want to be a professor, but I want to be able to do health research alongside that. Any suggestions what degrees might be worth looking into?

Any help anyone can offer would be appreciated! Thanks!! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

I've been banging my head against this problem for a couple months now:

I'm one of those non-Psychology undergrad people and have had troubled getting admission to a clinical program, so I've decided to broaden my search to include non-clinical PhDs. However, I'm having some trouble finding a program with faculty that match my interests, which mainly have to do with PTSD and anxiety/depression and interventions making use of a more integrative medicine approach. Does anyone have any suggestions for programs I could look at? There's too many out there!!

Also, I'm planning on broadening my search even more. I'm considering social work and programs like that. Ideally I ultimately want to be a professor, but I want to be able to do health research alongside that. Any suggestions what degrees might be worth looking into?

Any help anyone can offer would be appreciated! Thanks!! :love:

Well considering how clinically geared that topic is (ie. there's an intervention componet), im not surprised.

Medical social work and rehab psychology both have possibilities. The Rehab Psych program at Boston University is well renowned and I'm sure there are others.

Members don't see this ad :)
Possibly health psychology. It won't have much anxiety/PTSD but it would have health research.

Maybe an option is to go back and earn some more psych credits... have you previously done research in a lab? These are both pretty important things considering how extremely competitive some clinical programs can get. If its something you really want to do, then maybe consider going back and earning some credits. It also looks good, showing that you are serious enough about this career path that you went back to earn credits. Also... don't knock some clinical social work programs. You can get a Ph.D. in those and do clinical research as well. I know Wash U and somewhere in minnesota? (Don't quote me on the second one) are the best clinical social work programs in the nation and they do research as wel, but I doubt to the degree that clinical psych programs do. Also check into some Counseling Ph.D. programs maybe? They are generally easier to get into....

If you want to get more into the integrative health side of the equation, perhaps getting into traditional chinese medicine -- there is a fledgling doctoral level tier to the training, and growing opportunities to do research in western style medical facilities (well, at least two of the major hospital systems in Portland are participating in such studies).