A little help video critiques...How to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mattalbie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Never written a video critique before.

Have just made a video of myself interviewing a another student, we roleplayed a clinician and client initial interview. Any tips on how to write a good critique? For instance...structure important points to consider etc etc .

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

I'd grab the Ivey Intentional Interviewing book. Watch the video a few times, counting up your behaviors, starting from the basic skills. As in, start with watching how you're attending and if you mess up body language sometimes, then try to figure out what that's about*. Then check out your basic verbals; is your primary intervention asking questions? Did you miss emotional content? Did you miss what the client said? Then check out the accuracy of anything you did like reflections of feeling or meaning.

Actually this is exactly what I did with my real client tapes when I started prac. It was useful.

*if you're at a counseling center, the answer to this question is "countertransference" :)