A little late to the game

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mountainmed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted for anonymity.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With a strong MCAT you will get into MD schools. You just need some clinical work. You may need to take a gap year and work in clinical research or something like that (this can actually be a very useful thing for building connections and networking in your field of choice prior to even starting school). Don't post in the DO forum again (for the application cycle) unless you bomb the MCAT.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the previous poster. You need to focus on the MCAT. Check out the MCAT subforum for ideas and schedules on how to prepare. Do NOT take it until you are scoring where you want to be on your practice exams. With a good score, you should be competitive for some MD schools and any DO school. Get some clinical volunteering too. Even 1 day a week can quickly add up over time.

Thanks for the replies and advice! I have started to study for the MCAT and I think I will be able to get it to a decent score. Not anything that will shock this website, but enough to get me not laughed out the door. My last question right now then becomes if I score well enough (on the MCAT) and am able to get a decent amount of clinical hours before June 1, would I still be ok and hopefully competitive to apply this upcoming cycle? I am going to be a gap year already as I'm graduating and will be working in a clinic during that time and I would prefer not to have a two year gap before possibly starting med school. Thanks again!

Your MCAT is worth the most so don’t compromise your score to get some volunteering in. You can start volunteering after may 5 and rack up some hours before submitting. Yes you can apply this cycle assuming you get a decent MCAT score.

Thanks for the replies and advice! I have started to study for the MCAT and I think I will be able to get it to a decent score. Not anything that will shock this website, but enough to get me not laughed out the door. My last question right now then becomes if I score well enough (on the MCAT) and am able to get a decent amount of clinical hours before June 1, would I still be ok and hopefully competitive to apply this upcoming cycle? I am going to be a gap year already as I'm graduating and will be working in a clinic during that time and I would prefer not to have a two year gap before possibly starting med school. Thanks again!

Do you want to limit your school choices? Do clinical work and do well on the MCAT. You probably can't do both at the same time, so take a gap year.